Lamb Neck Chops

WoofnHoof

I bought some neck chops for the dogs and wondering if I can feed them with the bones in or if I should try and dig them out? The bones look pretty small and I don't want them choking on them or anything, does anyone else feed them and do you take the bones out or leave in? I have a husky and a chi.

I feed my dogs raw meat and bones every day - mostly chicken and roo. Lamb bones tend to splinter a bit too much for my liking. I wouldn't give a large dog (eg your husky) a small bone, just in case they gulp it down and it becomes a problem - either stuck in their throat or bowel. I guess it's up to you. If you feel the bones might be too small for the husky, err on the side of caution and treat him to just the raw meat.

I usually check for small or sharp bones on any meat I give to my dogs. If it feels sharp to your finger, it's too sharp for a soft palate, and certainly too sharp for a GI tract. You might get away with it 100 times...but it only takes one bone to perforate a bowel.

You were meaning to feed the bones raw, weren't you? (I'm sure you were, but just checking!)

I have always fed Lamb necks, but one of my Rottie girls broke a canine tooth at 10 months old the night before she was to go to a new home. I noticed it the morning when I was going over her before her new owners came to get her. I told them, showed them, said to keep an eye on it as the tooth may need to be removed later on.

Intstead they took her to a Dental vet and had the tooth capped - $800 later. She had her 3 month check up, all was well, she is now able to eat brisket bones and chicken, pork and roo, but no more lamb necks.

I have always fed lamb necks but this is the first time one of mine has broken a tooth because of them.

Just keep an eye on their teeth.

The vet said that she must have got her tooth in the hole where the marrow goes through it and as she bit down it must have snapped her tooth. This doesn't happen often, but be aware it does.

I now feed more of the brisket instead now as I would hate to see another one break a tooth.

I still feed necks, I think they are a good meal.

Well being paranoid as I am I cut the bones out, they felt a bit hard and sharp and I didn't need any more to stress about so I just cut them out. They were quite easy to cut out so I think I will keep getting them as the dogs liked them :thumbsup: