Barking For No Reason

BobbyTheBeagle

Now i want to ask if this is still normal.,

Bobby will bark & growl at himself (and at his toys & kennel), and quite loudly. He would go under his sleeping mat and bark for a good 10 minutes.

Sometimes he would have a digging action on the sleeping mat. He would do this probably 1-2 times a day.

And when we try to approach him, ( i try to do it when he's not actively barking), he would bark back at us looking angrily..(in my perspective anyway)

Any ideas ??

He is a dog :rofl:

He's playing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he is a baby!!!

he has no littermates to play with... so he is entertaining himself.

It sounds very normal to me.

leave him be- or throw/rattle a toy for him when he is quiet for a minute... do NOT interact with him when he's barking/digging/growling.... or he will be TRAINING you to come and give him attention when he is being noisy!! :(

He is a dog :(

He's playing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he is a baby!!!

he has no littermates to play with... so he is entertaining himself.

It sounds very normal to me.

leave him be- or throw/rattle a toy for him when he is quiet for a minute... do NOT interact with him when he's barking/digging/growling.... or he will be TRAINING you to come and give him attention when he is being noisy!! :confused:

Ok. Well I'm glad to hear that - just hope its nothing else!!

What he does is, gets inside his bed sheet and it looks like he is stuck!! And he rolls inside and barks the hell out of it!!

Will make sure not to give him attention next time!!

• 2 weeks later...
I think you need to fix this problem by getting another beagle!

:cry:

Really ?? Won't they start chewing their collars! and biting their ears off each other..

I've noticed that Bobby has started to have episodes of craziness. He would run around the garden very swiftly as if he has gone a little wild...

Should I stop this kind of behavior ? or just let him be ??

Also, he likes to dig the grass.....now its quite deep probably about 15cm...

We take him to walks daily, kids would play games with him in the arvo, and do some training now and then..sometimes we'll use the kong to feed him...

not sure why he's so desperate to dig...but i know its their natural instinct....

I've noticed that Bobby has started to have episodes of craziness. He would run around the garden very swiftly as if he has gone a little wild...

Should I stop this kind of behavior ? or just let him be ??

Also, he likes to dig the grass.....now its quite deep probably about 15cm...

We take him to walks daily, kids would play games with him in the arvo, and do some training now and then..sometimes we'll use the kong to feed him...

not sure why he's so desperate to dig...but i know its their natural instinct....

Nah it sounds like he just has what we call "zoomies"! Sudden bursts of energy where he just wants to be crazy and play :cry:

You could try getting him one of those plastic kid's clam shells, you can get them pretty cheaply, and filling it with sand. You can bury treats and toys in there, and encourage him to dig there instead of in the yard.

Thanks for the responses!.

With regards to the sand pit, i think i've read somewhere saying that ticks? or fleas? grow in sand or something? would that be an issue??

I think if you have them in the yard you will have them anyway. I've never heard of it being a problem, but I haven't had a sandpit in a while.

Thanks for the responses!.

With regards to the sand pit, i think i've read somewhere saying that ticks? or fleas? grow in sand or something? would that be an issue??

I think if you have them in the yard you will have them anyway. I've never heard of it being a problem, but I haven't had a sandpit in a while.

So they'll grow out of it i presume down the track?? :cool:

grow out of digging?? I hope so - our pup is 8 months now and still digs occassionally :confused:

Usually for ants or something though - we've found treating the ant problem has reduced the digging problem

Are the holes in the middle of the yard or near the edge?

ETA: By "hope so" I mean I hope she will, but don't actually believe it will happen

Edited by gills