Leighs Friend

rish

i don't have the answers but i would support anything that made it easier to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

Take your time.

Go to dog shows and talk to breeders.

Watch and listen.

Learn the breed standard and how to interpret it.

Study up about what health issues are in the breed.

Join breed clubs before you get your dog and go along to activities.

Ask lots of questions.

Do as much research as possible.

If it does not feel right, do not let your heart rule your head.

Edited by gareth

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What Gareth said.

There are some ordinary registered breeders out there, as there are ordinary solicitors, ordinary doctors, ordinary lawyers.

However, there are a lot more really good registered breeders than good byb - and there are NO good puppy farmers. Someone who doesn't even understand the basics of dog husbandry has to be rotten, so puppy farms aren't even in the equation.

Although I agree with Gareth - I must confess that I chose one breeder from the yellow pages, on the basis of proximity, when I knew little about the breed. She proved to be a wonderful mentor and friend, and a wealth of information. Another was the relative of a friend. Another I chose because I liked the look of the dogs. Another I answered an ad for a pet pup in the paper. These breeders were the cream - big winning dogs, wonderful people. The kind of breeder I can only aspire to be.

I feel privileged to have known them, and owned dogs they bred, and to have been given advice and assistance by them.

None were exactly chosen on deep research, or, any research really, so maybe I got lucky?

I think, on the law of averages, the liklihood of finding a genuine breeder is much higher than finding a rotten one. I've dealt with people I'm sorry I dealt with, but had no really bad experiences. And the benchmark is pretty high, because I've dealt with wonderful people.

And I am still amazed at just how good some breeders are, how hard they try, and how much they care.

People who are happy with their breeder don't say much, people who are unhappy say a lot, and often, so they are the ones most heard.

i don't have the answers but i would support anything that made it easier to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

If it does not feel right, do not let your heart rule your head.

i totally agree. no chance of my heart ruling my head!!!!!! i wish more people did the same.

None were exactly chosen on deep research, or, any research really, so maybe I got lucky?

I think, on the law of averages, the liklihood of finding a genuine breeder is much higher than finding a rotten one.

i have done the same, got dogs from breeders through phone calls so if two people can "get lucky" then the law of averages is that there are more good breeders than bad.

i have done the same, got dogs from breeders through phone calls so if two people can "get lucky" then the law of averages is that there are more good breeders than bad.

Really? I got the third degree from 2 breeders before I could even be considered for the waiting list (yes, I passed) :rolleyes:

Have to agree though, there's definetly more good than bad out there.

I'm with you Jed, not sure what the message is here either :cool:

I think it was bragging that she bought an alleged "purebred" for $80. Because it looks like a maltese it must be one (based on a vet's breed assessment) regardless of its parentage.

Hmm interesting.

ETA Rish if you have two dogs with eczema have a look at what you are feeding them. They probably have the same genetically-related sensitivities to food and that's why they both have the condition. You might need to eliminate some of what you are feeding them to figure it out.

Edited by Pointeeblab

SecretKei

Really? I got the third degree from 2 breeders before I could even be considered for the waiting list (yes, I passed)

But if they didn't give you the third degree, they probably wouldn't care. Those are the ones who given endless help and advice.

The one I picked out of the phone book (years ago) interror-gated me pretty throroughly, it never changes!!

It gets easier the longer you do it, you can say - "well I had a Big Name Prefix dog", and the breeder thinks, "oh, that's Mrs. Chinesewatertorture, what an old bat she is, she wouldn't have sold one unless this person was AOK" - and you move up the list a bit!!

And once you have the dog, you become part of the "family", which is great.

SecretKei
Really? I got the third degree from 2 breeders before I could even be considered for the waiting list (yes, I passed)

But if they didn't give you the third degree, they probably wouldn't care. Those are the ones who given endless help and advice.

The one I picked out of the phone book (years ago) interror-gated me pretty throroughly, it never changes!!

It gets easier the longer you do it, you can say - "well I had a Big Name Prefix dog", and the breeder thinks, "oh, that's Mrs. Chinesewatertorture, what an old bat she is, she wouldn't have sold one unless this person was AOK" - and you move up the list a bit!!

And once you have the dog, you become part of the "family", which is great.

So true, Jed :rofl:

I "lucked" in with my breeder too! I was considering around 6 different breeds and Dals were NOT on the list.....I thought they were stupid :thumbsup::laugh: Was chatting to a nurse during my medical assessment for leaving the ADF and, of course, the subject of dogs came up. She had 2 Dallies and said that I needed to speak with her breeder in Canberra. After the first phone call I knew I had found my puppy - I was just so wrapped with their attitude to puppies, training, the breed and the questions they asked of me. It took 2 years for my dream to come to fruition (not good timing for us the first time around and a missed season after that) but I'm so pleased I stuck with them :thumbsup: I met them for the first time when Zig was 5 weeks old and they welcomed me into their home so I could spend my time getting to know the puppies....and they like to meet potential owners in person. I can't wait until I have the room to get another one from them!!!

Very true :cry:

We drove 3 hours to meet the first breeder and she absolutely grilled us, watched every move we made and how we interacted with the dogs. I was so nervous! But after about 10 mins of questions she softened up and turned out to be lovely.

I cried my eyes out when the ultrasound showed that her girl wasn't pregnant. But she was so helpful in finding us another fantastic breeder and answering all our questions, and still an endless source of advice when needed :laugh:

I think I'd be very wary of any breeder who was willing to ship out a puppy after a 5 minute conversation or internet application. And you're right, it's amazing how peoples attitudes can change when you mention your dogs prefix :(