Tire Jump Incident - Youtube Video

sas

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

;) That was awful, though better than the tire incidents I witnessed with the whole structure falling over.

That should never happen. Every tire should be pegged, every time. I understand the incident at last year's Nationals was worsened by an unpegged tire. :cheer:

I've never witnessed a major prang involving a tire. Worst splats I've seen have generally been handlers, not dogs.

I attended agility training for a few months and the tire was never tied down and would come down at least once every session. Most often due to the handler since the club insisted on people teaching on lead and it's very hard to pass the lead between hands as the dogs jumps through the tire without knocking it over. Didn't notice any injuries but a whole lot of scared dogs.

Edited by molasseslass

I attended agility training for a few months and the tire was never tied down and would come down at least once every session. Most often due to the handler since the club insisted on people teaching on lead and it's very hard to pass the lead between hands as the dogs jumps through the tire without knocking it over. Didn't notice any injuries but a whole lot of scared dogs.

Jysus.. every moveable item is pegged and no dog does anything onlead at our club.

I hope you found a better club ML.

Go the Portie! Thank doG Tammy will never get to see that clip - she'd probably do that just to get on TV ;)

That said, hope the dog was OK (looked to be waging it's tail before the second person came swooping in on it) and maybe with the inside venues the tyre needs to be a break-away type as I can't see how you could anchor it.

Molasseslass - :cheer: at the tyre not being pegged down especially with beginner dogs!

I'm a big fan of the displaceable tyre. I have had a full unpegged frame come down on one of my dogs & have also had a few very hard hits as they have misjudged. I also witnessed the accident at the Nationals & I will never forget that picture in my head, so long as I live.

Not sure if this will work, but I have been campaigning for our tyres to be changed for a number of years now, so had a few clips saved in my favourites. I have created a playlist of them...warning some of them brought tears to my eyes the first (and subsequent) times I watched them. The last one is of a dispaceable tyre that I think we owe it to our dogs to make mandatory.

Tyre crashes

Edited by Vickie

I'm a big fan of the displaceable tyre. I have had a full unpegged frame come down on one of my dogs & have also had a few very hard hits as they have misjudged. I also witnessed the accident at the Nationals & I will never forget that picture in my head, so long as I live.

Not sure if this will work, but I have been campaigning for our tyres to be changed for a number of years now, so had a few clips saved in my favourites. I have created a playlist of them...warning some of them brought tears to my eyes the first (and subsequent) times I watched them. The last one is of a dispaceable tyre that I think we owe it to our dogs to make mandatory.

Tyre crashes

I am starting agility in April......The accidents on that link scare me. Now I'm going to fell sick every time there is a tyre.

I'm glad I read this thread and I am aware of it though.

Edited by ILUVKELPIES

Most of those tires are able to swing. Our tires at club don't swing, they are attached solidly. How many clubs in Australia have tires that are on ropes and can move around?

Edited by JulesP

I don't do agility so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but are the tires always suspended like that? So that they can swing freely. It seems a bit strange to me to have something like that, that has no ground line and swings. Surely if the dogs bank it with either front of rear paws it would be like a catapult since it has no solid bar underneath for the tire to be bolted to. I realise that most of the jumps have no real gound line either but the poles fall down if they are struck and the tire just seems to flip the dog through the air.

Some of those accidents are horrors.

I am starting agility in April......The accidents on that link scare me. Now I'm going to fell sick every time there is a tyre.

I'm glad I read this thread and I am aware of it though.

Sorry to scare you. If it is any consolation, many, many people in Aust. don't think our tyres are an issue at all. I am always aware of the tyre...not so much with my older dog who has a lot more experience in judging takeoffs but I am very cautious with my younger dog who does not have that same level of experience.

Most of those tires are able to swing. Our tires at club don't swing, they are attached solidly. How many clubs in Australia have tires that are on ropes and can move around?

We have a couple that swing. And the rest are about half lollipops & half fixed frame. Actually I think the those tyres swinging in the clips probably saved some very serious injuries. I would rather that they did swing. I have a video of Shine hitting a non swinging tyre at training one night. I have only watched it once & I don't think I could bear to watch it ever again.

Here is a photo someone took of Shine misjudging the tyre. She had not long started trialling & clearly misjudged her take off (although she has an enormous stride so often takes off that far before a jump when she is really moving)

She was fine, but as you can see...at the speed she is obviously travelling...judgement of takeoff is VERY important.

3256116755_3499c2e1dd.jpg

Edited by Vickie