"budget" Dry Dog Food.

Guest Willow

There's this:

... from http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/eggwhite.htm

Many clinical nutrition books discuss biotin (one of the water soluble vitamin B complex) as being an essential nutrient which can be bound by avidin, which is found in raw egg white. This binding prevents it's absorption from the gastrointestinal tract. Fortunately cooking deactivates this effect of avidin, and egg yolk is so high in biotin content that biotin deficiency does not occur when whole raw eggs are fed. So, whilst biotin deficiency is a potential problem - in reality it is unlikely to be seen in domesticated animals unless they are fed an extremely imbalanced ration that is predominantly egg white.

On the positive side - raw chicken egg white does of course have some nutritional value and contains the following :

88.3% water

9% protein

Trace of fat

Trace of carbohydrate

Minerals -

Sodium - 190mg/100g

Chlorine - 170mg/100g

Potassium - 150mg/100g

Phosphorus - 33mg/100g

Magnesium - 11mg/100g

Calcium - 5mg/100g

Vitamins and vitamin precursors

Tryptophan (an amino acid and niacin precursor in dogs and other species but not cats, mink or fish) - 2.6 mg/100g

Riboflavin - 0.43 mg/100g

Pantothenate 0.3 mg/100g

Folate - 13 mg/100g

Biotin - 7 mg/100g

Vitamin C - 0

Vitamin D -0

Vitamin E - 0

No dietary fibre

36 kcal energy per 100g

you had me at 88.3% water :thumbsup:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Clover
Clover, I got mine at the Haymarket, I guess that is what you mean by the Hayshed. Cost $28, I think. :laugh:

That would be the one :). I went there today and grabbed a 5kg bag of Uncle Albers to try before getting the 22kg bag. I will give the dogs a taste for brekkie in the morning & see what they think.

Really good thread thank you!

We currently feed Eukanuba and after reading the posts in here im wondering if we were talked into something we necessarily dont need ($104 for 12kgs insert bankruptcy emoticon here).

I know it is a great dog food.... but i definitely gonna try something else next time.

Can someone tell me if it is bad to feed raw egg to dogs? I have heard it can be bad due to salmonella or some other bacterias?

And a little more info on feeding fish please. Do I just buy sardines and throw em in with the dry?

Just to add..... I think I was also sucked in to buying Euk @ $104 per bag because the guy said after 10 bags we get one free.

So after spending $1000 we get a $104 bag free.

Again, my dogs do great on Euk..... but Holy Crap thats a lot of money!

IMO there are a lot better food out there than Eukanuba, and I have always found Euk to be very pricey for what it was.

When I was feeding dried, a bag of adult Royal Canin would be around $100 for 15kg and I wouldn't need to feed as much because it had less grain content than other foods we tried. We got the free bag after 10 bags too.

Now I feed a raw diet, it is cheaper again. I put a few tins of sardines in the BARF mix I make up but the dogs also get a meal of fish once a week, either a tin or sardines or mackeral. They love it!

Edited by huski

I only buy kibbles that have meat as the 1st at least 2 ingredients.

Uncle Albers has meat and fish as the first two ingredients, and I'm am just as happy as can be with it. After 18 months of super premium brands, I can't believe the improvement in Bensons coat and skin.

And at $30 for 22kg, my purse is equally as happy with it.

I'll have to look into getting Uncle Albers or Great Barko. Yesterday I paid nearly $30 for 3kg of Advance.

Thanks for the info Huski.

Here's another question, what are the top 10 things to feed while on Barf?

Hmmm not sure about a top ten things, but more so about getting the balance right. I feed 80% raw meaty bones, and 20% offal, vegies, fruit etc.

For RMBs we feed a variety of chicken wings/necks/frames, lamb necks/shanks/flaps/forequarters, turkey necks and wings, basically whatever looks good that we can get our hands on!

I also do a BARF mix of low grade human quality beef mince (not pet mince), with lots of raw vegies and fruit grated in as well as yoghurt, sardines and offal and the dogs get that a few times a week.

This website has a great BARF FAQ :birthday:

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

Edited by huski

Yesterday I paid nearly $30 for 3kg of Advance.

A while back I was checking out the prices of some of the better supermarket brands (Optimum, Natures Gift etc) and for bigger dogs, it would actually work out cheaper to go to a pet supply place and buy a large bag of super premium food. Although the supermarket brands appear cheaper, their per kg cost are quite often higher.

Hmmm not sure about a top ten things, but more so about getting the balance right. I feed 80% raw meaty bones, and 20% offal, vegies, fruit etc.

For RMBs we feed a variety of chicken wings/necks/frames, lamb necks/shanks/flaps/forequarters, turkey necks and wings, basically whatever looks good that we can get our hands on!

I also do a BARF mix of low grade human quality beef mince (not pet mince), with lots of raw vegies and fruit grated in as well as yoghurt, sardines and offal and the dogs get that a few times a week.

This website has a great BARF FAQ :(

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

RMB's? Still learning the lingo :clap:

Good info thanks Huski. Having a look at that site now.

Do you take the bone away from your dog after finishing the meat?

actually, before you answer any more..... im off to read that site!!

ETA

RAW MEATY BONES!!!! Got it!! :rolleyes:

Edited by huskyheaven

Yeah top notch thread, anyone else use cobber? how do you find it. i think my dogs are starting to get a fishy smell?

have been using the Cobber Working Dog for a few weeks now - everyone's coat has improved and so has weight and muscling. They are actually holding weight better and have better coat than when on the Royal Canin. I'm sure the formula for the latter has changed as they used to do really well on RC up until about a year or so ago. Tried the Bonnie and Coprice and lack of palatability and too much poo were no-nos. Great Barko and Uncle Albers weren't good enough in the weight department and the flatulence was impressive!

Am very happy with the Cobber :rolleyes:

Good info thanks Huski. Having a look at that site now.

Do you take the bone away from your dog after finishing the meat?

actually, before you answer any more..... im off to read that site!!

RAW MEATY BONES!!!! Got it!! :rolleyes:

You're welcome :(

The bones are a really important part of their diet, of the 80% breakdown you feed equal amounts of raw meat and bone... so I make sure I give them bones that they can easily eat (like chicken and lamb bones). I don't feed brisket bones as part of their diet, they might get some every now and then to have a chew on and I always take away the left over bones once they are finished (but that is only cos I have three dogs and don't want lots of bone pieces lying around).

Hope that makes sense :clap:

Been using Bonnie here for about the last 8 months .. $40 for 20kgs works out really cheap for us with 4 dogs .

My guys are on a mainly raw diet although they all love their cereal (bonnie) in the morning :clap:

All of the furkids are doing great on it and we are always getting comments on how healthy they look

and what great conditon they are in :rolleyes:

There's this:

... from http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/eggwhite.htm

Many clinical nutrition books discuss biotin (one of the water soluble vitamin B complex) as being an essential nutrient which can be bound by avidin, which is found in raw egg white. This binding prevents it's absorption from the gastrointestinal tract. Fortunately cooking deactivates this effect of avidin, and egg yolk is so high in biotin content that biotin deficiency does not occur when whole raw eggs are fed. So, whilst biotin deficiency is a potential problem - in reality it is unlikely to be seen in domesticated animals unless they are fed an extremely imbalanced ration that is predominantly egg white.

On the positive side - raw chicken egg white does of course have some nutritional value and contains the following :

88.3% water

9% protein

Trace of fat

Trace of carbohydrate

Minerals -

Sodium - 190mg/100g

Chlorine - 170mg/100g

Potassium - 150mg/100g

Phosphorus - 33mg/100g

Magnesium - 11mg/100g

Calcium - 5mg/100g

Vitamins and vitamin precursors

Tryptophan (an amino acid and niacin precursor in dogs and other species but not cats, mink or fish) - 2.6 mg/100g

Riboflavin - 0.43 mg/100g

Pantothenate 0.3 mg/100g

Folate - 13 mg/100g

Biotin - 7 mg/100g

Vitamin C - 0

Vitamin D -0

Vitamin E - 0

No dietary fibre

36 kcal energy per 100g

you had me at 88.3% water :rolleyes:

Frozen eggs are good as well. Unless your sibes will swallow them entire like Lily does.

Gizmo licks them, keeps him entertained for 10 minutes. Distracted sibe for 10 minutes = awesomeness.

You're welcome :laugh:

The bones are a really important part of their diet, of the 80% breakdown you feed equal amounts of raw meat and bone... so I make sure I give them bones that they can easily eat (like chicken and lamb bones). I don't feed brisket bones as part of their diet, they might get some every now and then to have a chew on and I always take away the left over bones once they are finished (but that is only cos I have three dogs and don't want lots of bone pieces lying around).

Hope that makes sense :(

Makes total sense. Thank you so much again Huski :cry: !!!

Optimum here.

Coles seem to be big on it (stocking a large range of varieties).

I have Katie on the ADULT - small-medium breeds with Chicken, Rice and Vegetable, she really likes it and it seems to agree with her.

Edited by morita

For dry food I use the Family Dog Coprice with some Advance.

GayleK's great mix of minces, veggies, cheese, oil, chicken livers.

Chicken necks, beef necks and lamb flaps.

Edward does very well on this. I mix it up over the week.