What Is It About Dog Poos

whitka

This has never happened before ( from what I can remember anyway ) but latley there have been a few wasps around the backyard and they seem to be attratched to the dogs poos. Is this normal? There is at most around 4 at a time but im still worried about the dogs getting stung.

My guess is that it would be the (albeit digested) meat content of the faeces. As the faeces dry out, the meat 'content' I would imagine would all but disappear.

I have noticed an increase in wasp activity too and have to watch out as they hang around any bone my boy leaves lying around with the intentions of going back to later. He'd be better off burying them.

Edited by Erny

Could they be what are sometimes called "meat wasps"? They come around frequently when you have a BBQ. I believe that they take the meat for their larvae.

I don't know - never heard of the name "meat wasps". I know European wasps are very much attracted to meat though. And the dang things are even buzzing around all the while my dog is chewing on a bone. It worries me that he'll cop a sting at some stage or other. I think I will try to only feed bones after sunset as I think all bees and wasps have returned to their hives by then.

The past two summers have been bad in my area for european wasps. My boy is fed outside (raw meat & bones) so I either feed him after sunset or watch like a hawk as he's eating (and if need be, stand their with a broom just in case any wasps are buzzing around as he's eating).

I have also set some wasp attractant traps around the yard (away from the dog area) - they work brilliantly.

Wasps are all over the dog poo in our yard too so I'm having to be super effcient about picking up. I have no idea why they are so interested, it's the first time I've seen it.

I did hear that with all the heat the breeding of the wasps is ging crazy so perhaps something to do with that?

I have also set some wasp attractant traps around the yard (away from the dog area) - they work brilliantly.

I think I'll be resorting to some of those too. Do you think it reduces the numbers that are attracted to the dog's bones/meals though?

I gave my boy some cantelope and noticed the wasps were going crazy for that too, even whilst he was eating it. Obviously the sweetness is another attractor. Washed his bowl out as soon as he'd finished the pieces.

Yes - I do believe the extreme weather we've been having is playing a part in the increase of wasp activity and numbers. Dang the day whoever it was brought the european wasp into our country :lollipop::thumbsup::.

I do Erny. I haven't seen any around our courtyard (which is where my boy sleeps during the day when I'm at work) since I put the baits up a few weeks ago. I have a couple of the dome shaped traps plus a couple of the fly bait traps and use the wasp liquid bait attractant (pink coloured - sorry, can't remember the brand name) not the powdered stuff as I've found that doesn't work very well.

I'm totally paranoid about it - so from my research it seems that sweet food/drinks, meat and dog poop will attract wasps which is why it is so important to keep an eye on your dog when eating (especially with meat/bones), don't leave any food/bones around, and pick up poops asap.

The wasp numbers are often determined by the winter weather conditions (if there aren't enough frosts to kill the nests, then there's more numbers around the following summer).