Advice For Friends

frenzied1

Thought I would just put this up here. Any thoughts? This is the message I received

Cassie seems to have an allergy to yeast that occurs in beef, chicken, lamb and pork, and she's busy chewing her feet to pieces. We're currently feeding the pair of them kangaroo mince (which they both adore), but we're having enormous trouble trying to find dry food and treats that don't have beef or the other meats in them. Do either of you know of anything else on the market? We had a look at stuff that claims to contain fish but they also had the forbidden animal products in them.

Guest belgian.blue
Thought I would just put this up here. Any thoughts? This is the message I received

Cassie seems to have an allergy to yeast that occurs in beef, chicken, lamb and pork, and she's busy chewing her feet to pieces. We're currently feeding the pair of them kangaroo mince (which they both adore), but we're having enormous trouble trying to find dry food and treats that don't have beef or the other meats in them. Do either of you know of anything else on the market? We had a look at stuff that claims to contain fish but they also had the forbidden animal products in them.

Check your PM :swear:

Check your PM :swear:

Thanks I have passed the info on

Yeast does not occur from meat, it occurs from carbohydrates.......Virtually all dry food has carbs, such as rice, pasta, wheat, grains........all unneccessary to a dog, it converts to sugar in the body & yeast thrives on sugar, as does cancer.........no sugars = no yeast!

Has the source of the allergy been diagnosed or is this educated guesswork?

It has been diagnosed by their vet

There are some imported kibbles around that don't contain those meats eg. duck and potato (Eaglepack?) I'd be checking those out and supplementary feeding roo tails and duck wings. :swear:

Meats do not contain yeast, but some meats can give a dog an allergic reaction which makes the dog's skin itchy and smells of yeast - is this what you mean? If so the dog needs to go on a food elimination diet. My boy was put onto a meat he had never had before plus boiled pumpkin or sweet potato, for 6-8 weeks. My vet said that if there is no improvement after that time then cortisone was the next step. After full bloods and T4 we discovered it was his thyroid that was under acting. Since he has been on Thyroxine his skin and smell have cleared up.

ETA I also found that my boy is allergic to oats which are a cereal and are in many of the proprietary dog foods.

Edited by Loraine

Mmm glad I was not the only one that was confused. I to have never heard of yeast being in meat. Through googling the only meat that contains it is processed or breadcrumbed.

Could be that your friends are still feeding grain products. What exactly are they feeding?

If a dog has a yeast infection caused by foods (grains) then it can take a few months for it's body to detox after it has been taken off all grains.

Confused still that a vet could say that meat caused a yeast infection.

Confused still that a vet could say that meat caused a yeast infection.

Many dogs with food allergies will show dermatologic signs, including recurrent or persistent malassezia infections. They itch, then they scratch, and all that self trauma and 'unhappy' skin is an excellent place for malassezia to grow. As they replicate, each yeast wall that ruptures releases a small amount of protein that is irritant to the tissues and so they cycle continues.

So yes, an allergy to meat protein can lead to yeast infections (however I initially read the OP as meat causing a yeast allergy, which is harder come to grips with).

So yes, an allergy to meat protein can lead to yeast infections (however I initially read the OP as meat causing a yeast allergy, which is harder come to grips with).

:mad

Yes the OP said the dog was allergic to the yeast in meats. That is what got me confused as meats don't have yeast in them.

my dog has yeast allergies. i have now got this under control with no itching etc for 4 months.

there is no yeast in meat although some dogs can have allergic reactions to different proteins. for example pork can often cause an allergic reaction in some dogs.

this is what i did. over a period of time, feed only one protein at a time, ie beef, chicken, roo meat, duck, for a two week period for each protein. this will let you know what protein the dog can tolerate.

once you find out the best protein, mix the protein with a grain (i stayed away from wheat) so i tried rice and oatmeal. oatmeal was good.

then i looked for a dry food that had the protien and grain that she could tolerate and found that Eagle Pack Holistic duck meal and oatmeal dry food was ok.

i stopped giving her anything except the Eagle Pack Holistic duck meal and oatmeal dry food. i was really strict, no treats, nothing except this dry food.

to alleviate the yeast infections that she had at the time, (while investigating the protein and dry food) she was on a course of cortisone and creams for her feet and ears which cleared up the infection.

after this she has not had any other yeast problems.

now that she is stable, i am going to try introducing new foods, one at a time and very slowly to see if i can have her on a more interesting diet. if the yeast infection comes back, i will cut out everything again and put her back on the Eagle Pack and this will have to be her long term diet.

i hope this is some help. good luck, yeast allergies are tricky to manage.