Tick Treatment

oceanaussi

Perhaps have a look at "Proban" - it is a tablet which is given every other day.

Proban is very effective, but used long term, it does cause liver damage.

Jed. This is the 4th time I've queried you saying this so will PM you as you mustn't go back to the threads :D

I discussed this at length with my vet, who is also Professor of Medicine and Surgery at Sydney Uni and he said there is no evidence of any damage/side effects from Proban. I was very hesitant to use it initially.

Do you have any links to this please?

Out of interest, I was at Vet Products Direct today and spoke to the vet owner there.. Permoxin is only 3 days.

:D That's weird. According to Dermcare who actually make Permoxin it is 7 days for fleas and ticks (this is personally from them personally), but as mentioned clinical trials showed 13 days. I'm looking at a bottle right now and it says 7 days. I use it as 13 day coverage in a very heavy tick area and it works well. Although only one day after and ticks will attach.

Maybe the Vet Products seller is telling you his own personal opinion and what works for him?

I think efficacy of all products vary from pet to pet.

Perhaps have a look at "Proban" - it is a tablet which is given every other day.

Proban is very effective, but used long term, it does cause liver damage.

Jed. This is the 4th time I've queried you saying this so will PM you as you mustn't go back to the threads :thumbsup:

I discussed this at length with my vet, who is also Professor of Medicine and Surgery at Sydney Uni and he said there is no evidence of any damage/side effects from Proban. I was very hesitant to use it initially.

Do you have any links to this please?

I too have researched this since putting my girls on it and not found clinical evidence to the liver damage claim.

I wonder if that claim came from a one or two off instance rather than broad scale side effect??

Out of interest, I was at Vet Products Direct today and spoke to the vet owner there.. Permoxin is only 3 days.

:thumbsup: That's weird. According to Dermcare who actually make Permoxin it is 7 days for fleas and ticks (this is personally from them personally), but as mentioned clinical trials showed 13 days. I'm looking at a bottle right now and it says 7 days. I use it as 13 day coverage in a very heavy tick area and it works well. Although only one day after and ticks will attach.

Maybe the Vet Products seller is telling you his own personal opinion and what works for him?

I think efficacy of all products vary from pet to pet.

Interesting. I just read the dermcare website and it claims up to two weeks.. Hmm..

However, I know of cases where dogs have joined sheep and cattle in proper dips, (far stronger stuff than we get to use) and still succomb to ticks in bad seasons/areas.

I know of people who have used the Fidos Free Itch concentrate (that claim up to three days) in the morning and had ticks attached within 12 hours and the dog to the vet.

Some people can be lucky and others unlucky. It comes down to risk and what makes people feel comfortable with. With ticks and how quickly a dog can succumb to them, I would rather pay the little extra on a better preventative than spend it at the vet with the heartache of the dog on a drip, then try to keep it quiet for a month after.

I had my border collie on Proban for 13 years and he never had any side effects from it. As stated it's far better than paying $500+ at the vets!!!!!!!!

You still haven't stated what issues you have with it.... apart from the cost....I was going through two bottles a month at one stage.

Well, I'm an Advantix lover STILL after now, hmmm....4 years approx. :rofl:

I'm in an extremely bad tick area and I haven't had any issues with ticks or fleas EXCEPT when I've gotten slack about application.

I also like KILLTIX collars as they tend to be a little better in the water/swimming dept.

Oceanaussi - you have short-coated dogs. The absolute BEST way to prevent ticks is daily inspection of your dog and pull them off when you find them. :eek:

Me, I have 7 long-coats. I do run my hands over them daily but it's easy to miss a tick, hence the tick chemicals I choose to use. :laugh:

If you are really unhappy about the chemicals, treat for fleas when and if you need to and inspect for ticks DAILY. :shrug:

Well, I'm an Advantix lover STILL after now, hmmm....4 years approx. :rofl:

I'm in an extremely bad tick area and I haven't had any issues with ticks or fleas EXCEPT when I've gotten slack about application.

I also like KILLTIX collars as they tend to be a little better in the water/swimming dept.

Oceanaussi - you have short-coated dogs. The absolute BEST way to prevent ticks is daily inspection of your dog and pull them off when you find them. :eek:

Me, I have 7 long-coats. I do run my hands over them daily but it's easy to miss a tick, hence the tick chemicals I choose to use. :laugh:

If you are really unhappy about the chemicals, treat for fleas when and if you need to and inspect for ticks DAILY. :shrug:

Thanks t-time! I do feel a bit lost as I'm not sure what to do. Hera has a longer very thick coat. She has pulled tick out of herself before but I do check. With Quentin you're right, it's very easy. He never had a tick in his life. And neither of them ever had fleas either.