Fat Dog!

Gizmo is putting on weight.

I've cut his food down, giving him a leaner form of mince and giving more excersize yet weight is piling on. I also dropped his intake when summer hit.

Are there any health issues which could be going on which is causing him to gain weight? He is being fed the right amounts, excersize is fine yet his weight is increasing!

Edited by Just Midol

put him on dry food only.

Asher was overweight, and although it was hard in the beginning only feeding dry (Euk Light for weight maintenance) it definitely helps cut the weight.

It only had positive results for us.

I suggest asking your vet and local Pet Store Owner (a passionate one not the "dollar signs in eyes" kind).

Or hopefully someone else here might have some good advice.

Definitely get the thyroid test done. If it's borderline, ask the vet about supplementation anyway.

Also, is it possible that someone else could be feeding him? I agree that for cutting back weight, a proprietary diet food can be useful. We had success with Royal Canin's Obesity formula, and then switched to their Weight and Osteo formula for maintenance. You can still feed raw bones for teeth, but we stuck to beef bones and chicken frames. With the beef we scraped out the marrow and with the chicken got rid of anything obviously fatty before handing them over.

I tried dry food for 3 weeks, his weight still slowly went up :rofl:

No one else is feeding him. Everyone in my family knows if they feed my dog shit there will be hell to pay :laugh:

I really don't think it is diet related as for over 8 months he did fine on barf @ 350g a day then suddenly he started going up. That was on fatty barf as well, now he is on 200g a day and lean beef so really, he should be losing weight very fast. I'll try dry food again though I guess, a specific weight loss one.

Someone else in your house giving him food?

This is a big one.

When Ollie was younger he started to put on weight and every vet visit I swore on my kids heads I was cutting his food and he was eating less because he seemed not to be hungry. The old lady next door was feeding him over the fence while we were all at work (no wonder he never wanted his dinner)...

Then when he got cancer, the chemo damaged his thyroid and he put on about 6kg and was starving and thirsty all the time until they worked out what it was. Now he is just 4kg overweight :rofl: from little exercise and sleeping all day

Get Gizmo's thyroid checked.

Our neighbours cant get to the dogs, they are about 50-100m inside the boundary so we'd notice.

It is possible someone is feeding him, but I doubt it. I am betting on a medical issue here. We'll see what the vet says but if there is no medical problem then I'm not sure what I am going to do.

Gizmo always wants food, is always hungry. It's working well for training but I don't like having him this hungry all the time but I don't have an option.

Vet tomorrow! Had to cancel this mornings appointment.

Edited by Just Midol

He suspects it is just heat stress causing him to be less active.

Not sure if I agree but he has told me to drop his diet down a touch and head back in 3 weeks and reweigh him. If his weight has risen, we'll do the tests. He said because Gizmo is only 3kg overweight it isn't urgent so we can take our time - he doesn't want me spending a large sum of money on tests if it isn't needed.

He suspects it isn't a thyroid issue as he has none of the symptoms, other than weight gain, that a thyroid issue would bring.

The best thing is he didn't try to sell me food, just told me to cut my barf back. He was amazed at how little I feed but said Gizmo was in good condition so he is getting all the nutrients he requires.