Digging ?

rish

Digging.

My husband has been re-building our garden,thus leaving piles of dirt ,the dogs discovered the dirt and dug, having some harmless fun.

The dirt is now removed, but the dogs have discovered that digging up the yard is fun as well.

Is there anyway to stop this?

Our dog loves to dig. Huge great holes that are so deep at times you can only see his back legs and tail and he's a medium sized dog! :thumbsup:

We had tried covering them, putting poo in them...he just moved to another location...

Until the day we bought a clam shell, filled it with soft sand (washed sand so it has no yuckies in it) and hid treats in it.

Since then...not one hole dug - anywhere.

Wish we had done it a lot earlier.

The clam shell pool ???

LOL.

They would fave fun to !

Our dog loves to dig. Huge great holes that are so deep at times you can only see his back legs and tail and he's a medium sized dog! :thumbsup:

We had tried covering them, putting poo in them...he just moved to another location...

Until the day we bought a clam shell, filled it with soft sand (washed sand so it has no yuckies in it) and hid treats in it.

Since then...not one hole dug - anywhere.

Wish we had done it a lot earlier.

Another approach to digging is to direct it . . . "good hole" . .. "bad hole". Designate a digging place that won't look too awful, eg under a bush (mine have a great hole under the bouganvillia), praise for digging there, redirection or mild correction when digging elsewhere. Digging is natural for dogs, but there's no need to dig everywhere.

Note, many dogs dig to find a cool place to lie. Make sure to locate the "good hole" in a place that satisfies this . . . preferably a shady location that gets a little moisture.

Edited by sandgrubber

Guest Willow

Make the area you want them to dig in more attractive to them by burying a handful of treats or a favourite toy close to the surface. You can bury stuff deeper once the dogs get the hang of it.

Once they realise this bit of the yard has "buried treasure" but that bit of the yard doesn't, they will develop a preference for the "right" spot

Make the area you want them to dig in more attractive to them by burying a handful of treats or a favourite toy close to the surface. You can bury stuff deeper once the dogs get the hang of it.

Once they realise this bit of the yard has "buried treasure" but that bit of the yard doesn't, they will develop a preference for the "right" spot

Absolutely. This is exactly what we've found with Henschke. Burying treats in the sand pit has only encouraged him to dig there leaving the rest of the yard alone.

Isn"t it amazing how a hole can be talked about !

I will keep all idea's in mind,thank you

They have stopped digging >)

"good hole" . .. "bad hole""good hole" . .. "bad hole"

Another approach to digging is to direct it . . . "good hole" . .. "bad hole". Designate a digging place that won't look too awful, eg under a bush (mine have a great hole under the bouganvillia), praise for digging there, redirection or mild correction when digging elsewhere. Digging is natural for dogs, but there's no need to dig everywhere.

Note, many dogs dig to find a cool place to lie. Make sure to locate the "good hole" in a place that satisfies this . . . preferably a shady location that gets a little moisture.

Where do you buy the sand from? Is there a particular type that they like to dig in?

I have the clam shell as a pool currently, but as it gets cooler, we might convert to a sand pit. :D

I'd rather use dirt than sand just because my dogs would dig the sand from a clamshell in minutes.

Anyway, for digging I'd just redirect it to somewhere else. Dogs instinctively dig, and it's a self rewarding behaviour so simply digging for them is reinforcing so it isn't easy to stop. I'd use the treats method and get the dogs to dig where you want them to.