Transitioning Pup To Outside

fudge

Now that the days are starting to cool down a bit, we're thinking of moving Misty to outside during the day.

At the moment she spends the day in her pen inside. She has paper, toys, blanket, food, water, complete with the tv and air con on :thumbsup:

We've just bought some wire to block off the fence to the pool yard so she can't get in there so we're wondering how she'll go on her own outside.

My main concerns are: Do I keep her in her pen out there? and I'm worried she might bark and annoy the neighbours.

Does anyone have any tips on how to transition her to outside during the day? Because of the pool fence, she hasn't spent any time out there alone.

I would start taking her outside when you go out.

Then move to leaving her and maybe talking thrue the door. (make sure she has some FAV toys)

Start playing games outside,and just let her learn "outside" is where she can run full-ball and play alot,she will soon want to go out-side.

Maybe start giving her some food out there ?

Try moving the pen outside and set it up just like inside when you are home. Of course it would have to be near the door and under cover.

Put her in it and ignore her, no praise, no reassurance,etc. - do some activity near her outside for at least 30 minutes - read a book, etc. See what she does. She should settle down if you wait long enough. Your mindset during this should be one of quiet confidence, like it is just part of your everyday routine.

If she settles then try moving back and forth though the back door, all the time doing your own thing and not looking at the dog or interacting. Don't tell it that it is good, just ignore it.

You can progress from there but that experiment should tell you what to expect if you are not there.

If she has kibble, scatter about 1/2 her breakfast all around (the pen if you're going to use it outside). The other half you could freeze in a kong. This will give her something to do when you leave & she may forget that you've gone. After that hopefully she'll have a sleep & be ready to greet you when you come home.

I'd worry about her being restricted in a pen outside, you may not realise that the sun could move around and be beating down on her during the day. I would still put the pen out there though, just leave the door open so she can get in and out and move to shade if she wants to.

First up I wouldn't leave her for the whole time, if you go out on the weekends for a couple of hours I'd start her off then and then gradually increase the time. I'd have a radio that she can hear playing as well.

And I don't think I would leave such a little pup yet outside, perhaps when she is about five months old then gradually.

Please also check that pool fence thoroughly, that she can't dig under it? In Better Homes and Gardens last month's edition I think it was they showed steps that dogs could use in case they did fall in the pool.