Cross Eyed Dog

Has anyone ever had a 'cross eyed' dog? I have a dog in care at the moment who I think is 'cross eyed'. He seems to be able to see okay - except at close range.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever had a cross eyed dog and whether it's a hereditary thing or perhaps caused by some sort of trauma?

I have googled and found that Boston terriers seem prone to being cross eyed but otherwise I can't seem to find a lot of info about dogs being cross eyed.

Needless to say - I will be taking him to the vet for a check up but I was just wondering if anyone had come across a cross eyed dog before and if there were any long term ramifications.

A friend had a cross eyed Viszla and I had a cross eyed GSP. We thought it was inherited in the GSP's case. Not sure about my friends dog - I never thought to ask. They were both fine, just looked a bit odd :rofl:

Has anyone ever had a 'cross eyed' dog? I have a dog in care at the moment who I think is 'cross eyed'. He seems to be able to see okay - except at close range.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever had a cross eyed dog and whether it's a hereditary thing or perhaps caused by some sort of trauma?

I have googled and found that Boston terriers seem prone to being cross eyed but otherwise I can't seem to find a lot of info about dogs being cross eyed.

Needless to say - I will be taking him to the vet for a check up but I was just wondering if anyone had come across a cross eyed dog before and if there were any long term ramifications.

our mal is cross-eyed. only problem been is that people laugh as not many have seen cross eyed dogs.

We adopted out a cross-eyed dog. She was born that way. There is no reason to believe it's genetic, as none of her ancestors were known to be cross-eyed.

Longterm ramifications? She didn't chase the lure and now lives with free-range chickens.

This is Angel (Moon Lily)

post-2283-1236591753_thumb.jpg

How reactive are the pupils?

His eyes seem to react quite normally - it's just close up he seems to have trouble with.

He seems to be very normal otherwise. I would hate for it to be anything serious - that would be very sad.

Many thanks for your responses everyone. I will have him checked out regardless.

Angel is lovely Greytmate. I think the cross eyes makes them more endearing!!

Kayne's mum - I think Harrison will probably be laughed at too. Luckily dogs are not like humans so he won't become sensitive about his cross eyes!! :laugh:

Hi,

We managed to breed a litter of labs 7 years ago out of which 3 of the 8 pups born (that we know of!) developed what I would class as mild strabismus. Their crossed eyes are not noticeable even now unless you know to look fot it. The only reason we realised something was amiss was because most of these pups went to Retrieving Trial homes and naturally enough, their inability to mark the area of fall was an issue.

Their near vision seems reasonable but middle to long distance is far from perfect. In the case of one of these pups, it went on to become a RT Champion. It would seem that in time, that dog dog learned to compensate and adjust to some degree.

There was no history of strabismum in either the sire's or the dam's lines. Both parents produced other litters before this one without issues. We never repeated that particular mating of course.

I did take two of the pups (one affected, the other not) to our breed opthalmologist, since I was keen for his opinion. He did not pick up the strabismum at all on examination. When I asked him whether strabismus was hereditary, he said that it was not in labradors. I then asked him what he thought of a litter in which 3 of 8 pups had strabismus to which he replied "Then in that case it would have to be hereditary!" I just shook my head.

Basically, I think it's one of those things that can crop up without cause sometimes. We have never ever heard of it in labs so we remain mystified as to where it came from. As I said though, if it wasn't for the fact that these pups went to retrieving homes, its entirely possible their condition would have gone unnoticed.

Good luck. Your dog should have a happy and healthy life in spite of its unique way of looking at things!!! :confused:

w2s