Steve Leigh

Who the hell is Steve Leigh?

I keep coming across him bagging out other trainers yet he doesn't actually give any information as to who he is, his experience or anything really!

I mean, he has a site dedicated to attacking other trainers & there is a site dedicated to attacking him.

So, does anyone know who he actually is and whether he has ever actually accomplished anything? From what I can gather, he attacks anyone who disagrees with table training.

The link below might explain it better than I can, but from what I gather it is about having the dog feel trapped and pushing him way into defense drive to achieve the bite. In other words, the decoy scares the bejeebies out of the dog and as the dog has no flight option, he is forced to fight for what he perceives as his only means of survival. What a horrible way to train.

Table Training in Protection Work

Edited by Erny

The link below might explain it better than I can, but from what I gather it is about having the dog feel trapped and pushing him way into defense drive to achieve the bite. In other words, the decoy scares the bejeebies out of the dog and as the dog has no flight option, he is forced to fight for what he perceives as his only means of survival. What a horrible way to train.

Table Training in Protection Work

Wow, thanks Erny. I think I agree with Ed Frawley - morally all wrong.

I keep coming across him bagging out other trainers ...

Regardless of the industry and even if that bloke was God, I wouldn't trust him. I never trust anyone who feels the need to "bag-out" anyone by name. People like that IMO haven't got the strength of conviction to be able to support their own methods and so feel they must trample on anyone else whom they perceive as a threat. It makes them feel empowered and higher up the pedestal ladder, but they only create an illusion for themselves and hope to woo others over under the same blanket of illusion. Instead of debating the points that have been raised against their own methods, they cast personal attacks. At the very least it is unprofessional and taints his own integrity assuming he has any.

Edited by Erny

table training?!?! I didnt think anybody still used that method for protection training, not a very nice way for the dogs to learn.... as Erny said (you are always full of good advice and comments! :rolleyes: ) people like this only put others down to make themselves look better! what an idiot...

I don't have very high opinions of Frawley, he is one of my least favourite trainers on the web. I wish I could send back everything I bought from him and get refunds

Interesting Midol. I personally don't have too much interest in Leerburg and the fact that he labels everything as a "drive" but why don't you like his work?

Haven't heard of Leigh

I have found some interesting tidbits from Leerburg, wouldn't mind seeing a few more DVDs from there. As usual don't agree with everything I have seen, but first saw the food spitting there.

Leerberg has some merit in some of the things he says and does IMO. I don't agree with all of it (then who agrees with all and everything of anybody), however his clientele seems to comprise much of stronger working lines than that which predominate my clientele list. Still, I read and watch him with interest and do find some things he says of value.

I don't have very high opinions of Frawley, he is one of my least favourite trainers on the web. I wish I could send back everything I bought from him and get refunds

Interesting Midol. I personally don't have too much interest in Leerburg and the fact that he labels everything as a "drive" but why don't you like his work?

I believe he is abusive to his dogs, and borders on being a puppy farmer (imo).

His DVDs are great, if he isn't the main person in them, actually, they are great if he is not in them at all. The only DVDs I actually liked were the drive related DVDs for Schuhtzhund/Protection but the "pet" type DVDs are riddled with mistakes and inconsistencies which even an amateur like myself can pick up. People make mistakes, but when you're releasing educational DVDs and selling them for a great deal of money mistakes are not acceptable. You can edit mistakes out. In one part of the e-collar dvd (which imo, in this dvd he abuses his dogs) he says on the dvd "This is the level we want to work the dog" and then a caption appears saying this level is too high? Wtf?

And that's only talking about his training, I can write even more on him as a person. Have a read of this page if you want to know more about him as a person:

http://leerburg.com/war.htm

So to summarise:

(1) He is a terrible teacher.

(2) I think he is abusive.

(3) Too many mistakes in his DVDs (the ones which feature him, the bernard flinks ones are great.)

(4) I consider him a puppy farmer.

(5) He is a terrible person.

All in all, imo, he is in it for money and not for the dogs or even to help other people. If he can't make money, he isn't interested.

Others might not consider him abusive, I do, he is cruel to his dogs and my personal morals restrict me from buying or supporting someone who is abusive.

Kavik, I am more than happy to post you my entire Leerburg collection if you want to watch it, or I can just copy them for you. Don't really care if I break the law copying his DVDs. I have eight of them.

I have owned some nasty dogs in my life. I own a male right now that is as bad as anything I have ever seen - probably worse than anything most people will ever see in their life (I bought him when he was 5 years old). This dog will viscously try and attack another dog through a fence when I let him out of the kennel. This is going to blow the minds of the Goody-two-shoes and the phooo phooo Halty and Clicker people that read my web site - but I have stopped this dog’s fence fighting. It took three 30 second training sessions. I simply told him “NO” and hit him over the head with a kennel shovel. The reason it took three sessions was because I did not know how thick this dog’s head was - I really had to whack him hard on the third session to get his attention. Now he knows that there are consequences to fence fighting.

http://leerburg.com/qaaggres.htm

I don't give a shit what your dog is doing. Hitting it over the head with a shovel is cruelty.

Edited by Just Midol

All in all, imo, he is in it for money and not for the dogs or even to help other people. If he can't make money, he isn't interested.

Others might not consider him abusive, I do, he is cruel to his dogs and my personal morals restrict me from buying or supporting someone who is abusive.

Kavik, I am more than happy to post you my entire Leerburg collection if you want to watch it, or I can just copy them for you. Don't really care if I break the law copying his DVDs. I have eight of them.

I have owned some nasty dogs in my life. I own a male right now that is as bad as anything I have ever seen - probably worse than anything most people will ever see in their life (I bought him when he was 5 years old). This dog will viscously try and attack another dog through a fence when I let him out of the kennel. This is going to blow the minds of the Goody-two-shoes and the phooo phooo Halty and Clicker people that read my web site - but I have stopped this dog’s fence fighting. It took three 30 second training sessions. I simply told him “NO” and hit him over the head with a kennel shovel. The reason it took three sessions was because I did not know how thick this dog’s head was - I really had to whack him hard on the third session to get his attention. Now he knows that there are consequences to fence fighting.

http://leerburg.com/qaaggres.htm

I don't give a shit what your dog is doing. Hitting it over the head with a shovel is cruelty.

WTF?? :thumbsup::laugh:

Midol about the DVD's I know you offered them to Kavik but if I sent you some blank ones would you be able to make me a copy as well? I'd love to see his stuff for myself.

I'll rip them over night. A few of them (including the e-collar one which is the worst) is out right now (from lending them in the general thread) but when it gets in I'll do it as well.

Don't worry about blanks, they only cost like 20c each anyway :thumbsup:

Lou Castle has a scathing review of his e-collar dvd on his site as well. Under Articles -> Books and DVDs.

Edited by Just Midol

I'll rip them over night. A few of them (including the e-collar one which is the worst) is out right now (from lending them in the general thread) but when it gets in I'll do it as well.

Don't worry about blanks, they only cost like 20c each anyway

Hey Midol, any chance of ripping an extra set for me?? I don't have any of his DVDs and am interested in watching to see what you are talking about?

I am happy to pay for blank DVDs and your time.