Steve Leigh

Whatever is easier Midol. Would probably prefer DVD compatible but again, whatever is easier for you.

Let me know when ready and I'll PM you my mailing address. I will reimburse you for postage.

Thanks heaps Midol. It will be very interesting to watch, especially the e-collar one.

Edited by Kelpie-i

Midol, I am going to have to disagree with you on this one.We all have to be careful when reviewing anything or anybody that we are objective and not subjective.We have to be careful that where we individually are mentally,emotionally and experience wise do's not get in the way of objectivity.

Unless you have lived with the man, statements like he is only in it for the money are totally unproven.

I can see where your coming from Erny too, dealing with good hard dogs can be vastly different to surburban dogs.

Tony

I don't need to live with the man. I've seen how he treats dogs in his DVDs and the methods he uses. If he doesn't advocate the methods, don't demonstrate them in his videos. He constantly pushes his DVDs, and at multiple occasions in his DVDs he doesn't explain things he simply refers you to another DVD which means if you want to understand what he is saying you're required to buy another DVD. When I asked questions relating to his DVDs via email he referred me to other DVDs he sold rather than answering what I now know to be rather simple questions that could have been answered in 2 lines.

He hits dogs over their heads with shovels in order to cure dog aggression. I've never heard of that being an accepted form of rehabilitation. Can you comment on that Tony? What would you say if I hit Montu (a hard dog) over the head with a shovel because he wouldn't stop barking? Is that an acceptable form of punishment?

The man is abusive & going by his personal views has no real value for life. He isn't a man I want to listen to or learn from. I like to keep an open mind, but my open mind has limits.

Kelpie & Larael, I'll shoot both of you PM's once I have it done. Could be a while as I'll wait for the other 2-3 dvds to come in.

Midol, I am going to have to disagree with you on this one.We all have to be careful when reviewing anything or anybody that we are objective and not subjective.We have to be careful that where we individually are mentally,emotionally and experience wise do's not get in the way of objectivity.

Unless you have lived with the man, statements like he is only in it for the money are totally unproven.

I can see where your coming from Erny too, dealing with good hard dogs can be vastly different to surburban dogs.

Tony

What's a dog's location got to do with its nerve? :thumbsup:

Most of the working security dogs I'm aware of live and work in the 'burbs. Two live next door.

Edited by poodlefan

What has I started :thumbsup:

If Tony wants to differentiate working line protection dogs from family pets that's fine by me Midol. However the idea that all urban dogs are wimps (and by inference country ones aren't) is less sound IMO.

The link below might explain it better than I can, but from what I gather it is about having the dog feel trapped and pushing him way into defense drive to achieve the bite. In other words, the decoy scares the bejeebies out of the dog and as the dog has no flight option, he is forced to fight for what he perceives as his only means of survival. What a horrible way to train.

Table Training in Protection Work

what on earth are they training it to do? How cruel!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only things I have seen of him are via a couple of his DVD's. It's been quite a while since I've watched them but from what I recall there was demonstration of training/behaviour modification making use of the PPCollar - in that one I thought he was more harsh than what I would be but the dogs did seem more hard-nosed than fear based and the ultimate result was good and prompt. Either the same or a separate DVD showed some e-collar work but I recall he went through the 'finding the dog's working level' as I do. Overall, my impression was that he works the dogs harder than what I do but again, the dogs did seem 'tougher' than your general pet at home dog.

Midol - I need to re-visit the DVD's I have. It was quite a number of years since I looked them up. I vaguely recall how he has text come up on the screen and I can't help thinking he said "this stim is too high" (words not verbatim) rather than as you have sited it. Perhaps I'm wrong or perhaps we have different DVDs or perhaps you mis-heard him. I'll check mine asap. I'm not defending the man, but I'm just not certain that what has been said is correct.

I have watched Ed Frawley with interest but haven't taken much if anything to the way I conduct my own training. I recall there being a segment on one of his DVDs where he points out the cons of certain training equipment. He was talking about the PPCollar and explaining how the links can spring apart when in use. It was demonstrated in the DVD. I know this can occur and when PPCollars were legal for use here in Victoria, I used to hitch a 'fail safe' with some dogs "just in case". In my own personal experience though, I've never seen or had a PPCollar give way like that. I do work differently to him though.

Regardless of all that, I'm a bit shocked and surprised at the "hit the dog over the head with a shovel" comment.

I've got a digital copy on my laptop, he definitely says "This is the level we'll use" and then the screen flashes saying "stem too high".

He uses the e-collar differently to us anyway, he uses it on medium rather than low and considers low level -r to be cruel and old school.

Edited by Just Midol

I am not a fan of the Leerburg dvds. Its mainly all quite old footage compared to many others on the market.

I do think however that there is merit in watching anything and everything to broaden your training knowledge.

There were many things on the dvds that I would use, and plenty that I wouldn't. Either way, its all good brain exercise.

I didn't like the drive dvd much, particulary the way Flinks gets his dogs to "out".

I found myself quietly agreeing and learning much more on the Balabanov dvds.

There is some good stuff on the Gottfreid .D dvds, but there is also quite a bit that I wouldn't use.

I think we have just as good, if not better trainers here in Aus. They just dont have huge websites and businesses in your face.

Who really cares who Steve Leigh is.

If you are into drive training midol, you would certainly be missing out on some great ideas, by overlooking them.

The narator (sp?) is a bit annoying, but I.B himself is not much of a personality lol. The footage doesn't look as old as his mullet.

If you have trouble getting them, let me know.

Thanks Midol, I'd love to have a look :thumbsup:

The ones I am most interested in is the positive retrieving one, competition tracking, and competition heeling dog (have watched it but a while ago).

He does seem to be harder on dogs than I would do, but I also don't have hard working line dogs nor am I training for bitework. Nor do I have that type of personality.

I know he is not the first to do the food spitting thing, but it is the first I saw of it :laugh:

I wouldn't mind seeing the Balabanov DVDs either.

If you combine that with the agiltiy DVDs I would like, gees I want a whole library of stuff :laugh: