Barf Feeders

Pailin

aacs, do you know what brand of roo it was.

Huskyheaven, roo is just lean with very little fat. My sibes put on weight uber easily so it suits them well. A piece of roo tail is an entire meal. The bag comes with 5 pieces so 5 meals for $4 as they actually consume the tail bone.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kei got a big chicken neck stuck in his throat at 10 weeks old. Reason being that he had never had bones before and tried to swallow it whole :( as I was supervising him closely I just grabbed it and pulled it out before he could panick. After that incident I started breaking up the necks before I gave them to him and slowly he learned to chew. I also gave a lot of frozen bones ie. chicken wings and thighs, so that he had to work on chewing them before while they defrosted.

Now I find he enjoys the chewing/crunching action as much as the actual eating part :love:

Im not sure how much it cost me a week to feed him :laugh: I buy mostly in bulk. If mince meat goes on special I will buy a few kg, divide and freeze. I also buy whatever is marked down at the supermarket when I go shopping. Offal is normally cheap, sometimes lamb shanks and flaps will go out for $1 each at the end of the week, occasionally I can get whole chickens really cheap on special for like $3 each and woolies often marks down thighs to $2.50kg at the deli counter. I buy 1kg chicken wings and 6 frames from the buthcher once per fortnight or so for about $10. I probably spend about $30 per month on meat/bones/offal if I average it out, maybe less?

I make up my vegie slops every 4-6 weeks and freeze, that costs no more than $10-$15. I spend about $6 per week on yogurt (but I eat it too) and $3 on sardines or mackeral.

I also buy flaxseed oil every 6 weeks or so, plus fish oil capsules, kelp powder and brewers yeast. None of these are very expensive and they last for ages anyway.

I dont buy pet mince, though I occasionally get my butcher to mince up some wings and frames for me for the cat, and I always check to make sure all meat is preservative free :)

Seriously..... I friggin love you guys!!!!!! :laugh::)

Thank you so much for all your advice and tips.

It definitely helps a bit of a scardey cat like me make decisions easier!! :)

So have fed the furries fish for the first time this week and they went absolutely nuts over it.

Just sardines and tuna.... slowly moving up!

Am going to buy some turkey necks cos I know Asher will chew them, maybe stick with the chicken necks for Nooki, she's such a dainty eater. Asher did chew the chicken wings, but it still worries me a little..... he didnt chew much! Think i'll give the frozen meat a whirl too. Sounds like a great idea.

Might get some Lamb flaps (dunno what they are but i'll have a look) and another meaty bone looking thing.

Definitely gonna give the Roo a go aswell. Asher needs to shed some more kilos so leaner meat would be good.

OK, after looking at this, do you guys think I should introduce one new thing at a time and not 5 new things in 5 days?

Will all the new upset their tummies?

Seriously..... I friggin love you guys!!!!!! :) ;)

Thank you so much for all your advice and tips.

It definitely helps a bit of a scardey cat like me make decisions easier!! :rofl:

So have fed the furries fish for the first time this week and they went absolutely nuts over it.

Just sardines and tuna.... slowly moving up!

Am going to buy some turkey necks cos I know Asher will chew them, maybe stick with the chicken necks for Nooki, she's such a dainty eater. Asher did chew the chicken wings, but it still worries me a little..... he didnt chew much! Think i'll give the frozen meat a whirl too. Sounds like a great idea.

Might get some Lamb flaps (dunno what they are but i'll have a look) and another meaty bone looking thing.

Definitely gonna give the Roo a go aswell. Asher needs to shed some more kilos so leaner meat would be good.

OK, after looking at this, do you guys think I should introduce one new thing at a time and not 5 new things in 5 days?

Will all the new upset their tummies?

Mine always ate raw meaty bones even when they were eating kibble, so I just changed them over completely to BARF once their dried food ran out.

I just go to Coles or Woolies and browse the meat section to see what they have :clap: That's where I normally get my lamb necks and forequarters from, and I get the beef mince from Coles as they have a low grade human quality mince for about $6 a kilo. A poultry butcher in my local Westfield has wings and frames cheaper than the supermarkets, so I shop around and know where is the best place to get various meat from.

The coles near me often puts more expensive cuts on sale the day or two before they expire, I have been able to get two big pieces of Ossu Bucco for less than $2 - the dogs had it for dinner that night!

Edited by huski

another question.......are you all sick of me asking yet? :cheer:

What meats should I steer clear of? For whatever reasons?

Not at all! :love:

I've never had my Sibe have any bad reactions to meat, I buy what I can and what I think they will enjoy. Today Woolies had a lot of lamb on sale so I bought that and popped a lot in the freezer, they also had these giant turkey legs that the dogs will go nuts over! Is it sad that I get excited about the meat I buy them :laugh:

People I know in other countries like the UK and the US get to buy their dogs lots of gamey meat like Bison, I wish we could get it here!

another question.......are you all sick of me asking yet? :cheer:

What meats should I steer clear of? For whatever reasons?

Not at all! :love:

I've never had my Sibe have any bad reactions to meat, I buy what I can and what I think they will enjoy. Today Woolies had a lot of lamb on sale so I bought that and popped a lot in the freezer, they also had these giant turkey legs that the dogs will go nuts over! Is it sad that I get excited about the meat I buy them :laugh:

People I know in other countries like the UK and the US get to buy their dogs lots of gamey meat like Bison, I wish we could get it here!

HAHAAHAHAH!!! I get excited when there are chicken necks left.... now im just gonna be hanging out in the meat section for hours choosing different things!!!

OK Huski..... btw you are super fast with replies!!

What Meaty Bones should I stay away from?

HAHAAHAHAH!!! I get excited when there are chicken necks left.... now im just gonna be hanging out in the meat section for hours choosing different things!!!

OK Huski..... btw you are super fast with replies!!

What Meaty Bones should I stay away from?

I've had a couple of glasses of wine so I'm nice and speedy tonight :laugh::cheer:

The only RMBs that I don't feed regularly are brisket bones, they aren't meaty enough and whilst they are great to give the dogs something to chew on, they aren't something I would feed as part of a regular diet.

Other than that I can't think of any RMBs that I wouldn't feed :love: Some people avoid chicken necks if their dogs aren't chewers, but mine are so I've not had any problems.

I've had a couple of glasses of wine so I'm nice and speedy tonight :laugh::cheer:

The only RMBs that I don't feed regularly are brisket bones, they aren't meaty enough and whilst they are great to give the dogs something to chew on, they aren't something I would feed as part of a regular diet.

Other than that I can't think of any RMBs that I wouldn't feed :love: Some people avoid chicken necks if their dogs aren't chewers, but mine are so I've not had any problems.

LMAO!! wish a couple of glasses of wine helped me .... just makes my typing go mushy!!

Brisket bones I will stay away from due to meatyless-ness.

Chicken necks all good cos I know they chew :)

Thanks Huski. I really was stressing in the meat department. Now I feel totally comfortable in picking the right thing.

You Rock!!!!!!!!

LMAO!! wish a couple of glasses of wine helped me .... just makes my typing go mushy!

Brisket bones I will stay away from due to meatyless-ness.

Chicken necks all good cos I know they chew :love:

Thanks Huski. I really was stressing in the meat department. Now I feel totally comfortable in picking the right thing.

You Rock!!!!!!!!

To give you an idea, I just go to woolies or coles and see what they have!

I look for any cheaper off cuts they have, the butcher is great for it too, I regularly buy and feed:

- lamb necks

- lamb forequarters

- lamb shanks

- lamb flaps

- chicken frames

- chicken necks

- chicken wings

- turkey necks

- turkey wings

- turkey drumsticks

- any beef bones that look nice and meaty

Tonight I got beef spare ribs on sale for $3 a packet! the dogs will love them :cheer: I get my beef mince from Coles (low grade mince) for about $6 a kg and mix in a few kilos of raw blended/pureed or grated vegies like carrot, celery, apple, pear, pumpkin, broccoli etc with offal (usually chicken livers), about 1kg of yoghurt and a few tins of sardines. I feed this a few times a week to get the right ratio of vegies and offal. So far so good :)

I also feed the dogs tinned mackeral or sardines once or twice a week :laugh:

Edited by huski

such a wise wise woman!!!

you are a woman right?? :love::cheer:

I now have my shopping list for next week, and im gonna give your delicious veggie raw/pureed/grated mix a go.

Thank you..... so so much!

Im off to bed to dream of the meat section at coles..... nothing suss intended :laugh:

again....thank you :)

such a wise wise woman!!!

you are a woman right?? :eek::cheer:

I now have my shopping list for next week, and im gonna give your delicious veggie raw/pureed/grated mix a go.

Thank you..... so so much!

Im off to bed to dream of the meat section at coles..... nothing suss intended :laugh:

again....thank you :p

Your very welcome :D And yep I'm a woman :love:

It is worth having a read of this FAQ about BARF, it gives you an idea what to feed and in what ration. I feed 80% RMBs and 20% vegies, fruit, offal and extras (like fish and yoghurt).

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

http://www.barfworld.com/html/barf_diet/ba..._specific.shtml

Huski, I thought you said turtle legs and was about to rip into you for feeding your dogs turtles :)

:):rofl: put your reading glasses on Midol :p My dogs wouldn't eat turtle anyway... :):rofl: (BTW - you should see these turkey legs. They are bigger than lamb shanks! they are huge! the dogs are going to be beside themselves when I give them one :) )

Edited by huski

we want video of Cherry with a turkey leg, purcels had them for a $1 the other week and I was too scared to get them, let me know how your go with them.

I dont feed my dogs pork as it makes them sick both ends. not pretty

I think the turkey legs are bigger than Cherry :cheer: But $1 each - what a bargain! I will have to go to Purcels more often! I paid $5 for two today :)

Cherry will miss out on the turkey legs but it would be funny watching her, she'd give it a real go and would sit there guarding it forever :laugh:

I don't feed pig either, but that's mainly because I've never come across any good raw pork bones - always so much more exxy than lamb, chicken, turkey or beef!

ETA: OMG I just went on the Jack Purcell's website. I am so going there this week!! I had no idea how huge they were!!! I'm excited, I just need a bigger freezer :love:

Edited by huski