Commercial Raw Diets

Guest Willow

Guest Willow

I have heard a few people mention that they don't consider the commercially prepared raw/BARF patties "Real" Barf.......just wondering why this is so??? Is it because it hasn't been prepared at home, or because the quality of the meat is unknown??? No flaming please, I'm genuinely interested to know!!!! :love:

I have heard a few people mention that they don't consider the commercially prepared raw/BARF patties "Real" Barf.......just wondering why this is so??? Is it because it hasn't been prepared at home, or because the quality of the meat is unknown??? No flaming please, I'm genuinely interested to know!!!! :love:

lack of bones?

lack of bones?

Exactly! BARF is 60-70% raw meaty bones, not patties :laugh:

Guest Willow

lack of bones?

So when the term "BARF Patties" is used, is this incorrect????

lack of bones?

So when the term "BARF Patties" is used, is this incorrect????

Originally when Dr Billinghurst designed his diet he said BARF is 60-70% raw meaty bones. But then he realized he can sell patties, call them BARF and make money for people who don't want to think too much about dog feeding.

Because of this 'BARF commercialization' he lost quite a few fans.

Edited by laffi

Another thing IMO - my understanding of BARF is that it does not only benefit the dog nutritionally, but also mentally and psychologically, as the dog has to work out how to "hold" the bones while it chews and crushes them, much as a wolf would in the wild. A dog munching on a soft pattie in a bowl doesn't really compare.

JMHO.

Another thing IMO - my understanding of BARF is that it does not only benefit the dog nutritionally, but also mentally and psychologically, as the dog has to work out how to "hold" the bones while it chews and crushes them, much as a wolf would in the wild. A dog munching on a soft pattie in a bowl doesn't really compare.

JMHO.

Sorry, Cassie - but if Evie (Saint aged 9) had to work out how to hold the bones, then she would starve. :love: Not the brightest star in the universe, and just like her gran Christie, who in spite of many attempts would never eat raw.

Sags

As this is something that I have said recently I will answer.

One of the main points of BARF was that each meal did not have to be complete as a dog in the wild would be unlikely to get all the nutrients it needed in the one meal. The idea was to feed quite a lot of different things and over the course of the week you would get a complete diet. In fact in Dr Billinghursts book 'myth number 6' is related to just this. Let me quote "The attempts to put all the nutrients a dog needs in one product results in much ill-health". That is one reason.

The other is the dog isn't getting the benefits of chewing on a bone. Nutritiously it is as most of the patties have ground bone in them. But the teeth and body don't get exercised with the chomping.

BARF was also supposed to be cheap. Those patties are expensive.

Do I have a problem with people feeding the patties? - no. But I don't consider them to be true BARF.

Originally when Dr Billinghurst designed his diet he said BARF is 60-70% raw meaty bones. But then he realized he can sell patties, call them BARF and make money for people who don't want to think too much about dog feeding.

What is the difference between making up your own BARF patties and feeding them as well as bones, and buying the commercial BARF patties and feeding bones. Nothing that I can see apart from convenience. The dogs are still being fed BARF they are still on the receiving end of a good diet, which is the aim, Yes?

JMHO.

Sorry, Cassie - but if Evie (Saint aged 9) had to work out how to hold the bones, then she would starve. :love: Not the brightest star in the universe, and just like her gran Christie, who in spite of many attempts would never eat raw.

Sags

Ahhh gotta love our bright sparks hey ;) :laugh: Hehehe fair enough, may not be suited to all of them!

What is the difference between making up your own BARF patties and feeding them as well as bones, and buying the commercial BARF patties and feeding bones. Nothing that I can see apart from convenience. The dogs are still being fed BARF they are still on the receiving end of a good diet, which is the aim, Yes?

I have nothing against patties, I buy the patties myself from time to time :laugh:

I just don't think they are BARF since BARF is mostly raw meaty bones :love:

the problem is that anyone can sell BARF patties with no standard being adhered to.

If I went down the commercial path, I'd rather feed a good kibble where I knew there was quality control etc.

My feeding regime is mostly meat directly on the bone - doesn't get much more convenient than that.

All of that said - if the commercial patties work for you and your dog then go for it!

JMHO.

Its like slow food for dogs :love:

Yes!

I do make my own BARF mix, but thats because I enjoy the whole DIY in the kitchen thing anyway.

I don't agree with making your own BARF patties and feeding them everyday either. That is not how the diet is supposed to work.

Oops, just to clarify, my dogs only get the slops I make a few days a week, as well as eating bones for their second meal, again I only do it to feed them their vegies and offal.

I recently bought a box of the Billinghurst patties - the beef ones, and my dog was HORRIFIED with it and wouldnt eat it - this is a dog who scoffs down anything and everything in sight???

In the past I have bought from the Pet Chef in Midland who does his own mix and Ruby has liked that, just havent had time to get more from them. They told me the bones are ground into the mixture (which just looks a little like very colourful mince :thumbsup: )

So I'm guessing that ground up bone defeats the purpose??

At the moment Ruby gets Eagle Pack kibble in the morning and at night she gets either brisket bones or a mixture of mince (human grade) and veges.

I recently bought a box of the Billinghurst patties - the beef ones, and my dog was HORRIFIED with it and wouldnt eat it - this is a dog who scoffs down anything and everything in sight???

I had the same problem with Daisy, after two days of forcing herself to eat them she just stopped and refused them... and this was a beagle!

I don't agree with making your own BARF patties and feeding them everyday either. That is not how the diet is supposed to work.

Oops, just to clarify, my dogs only get the slops I make a few days a week, as well as eating bones for their second meal, again I only do it to feed them their vegies and offal.

We do the same... the pups won't touch the veges unless they're mixed in with mince, so I buy minced chicken frames and mix it up with the veges (with offal some days). But that's only a few days a week. The rest of the time they're eating a variety of bones.

I had the same problem with Daisy, after two days of forcing herself to eat them she just stopped and refused them... and this was a beagle!

Wow, that is saying something!!!! :thumbsup: