Mouth Tumor?

I got home from work and Bondi was doing a funny licky thing with her tongue, so I opened her mouth up and had a look and she has a big gumy lump when her back molar should be. I think the licky things been going on afew days, but not entirely sure.

When i touched the lump she cried :rolleyes: It looks like a tumor or something.

Any ideas what it could be?

Taking her to vets tomorrow if I can get her in.

Boxa - nothing to worry about - it's a VERY common occurrance in Boxers. They're called Epulis. Rocky had a mouth full of them (but hardly any of his were lumps, just gums growing up over the teeth). Whilst they are a tumour, they are 99% of the time non-cancerous.

If you're worried, book Bondi in for a clean & scale dental, and get them to cut off, or cauterise the epulis off whilst she's under GA.

They will eventually grow back, but you should get a year or 2 between removals.

-WithEverythingIAm

My pug girl had one removed a few years ago, at the age of 4, when she had her dental done. Vet siad that it was caused basically from trauma to the mouth from teeth rubbing. I didn't have it sent off for tests but would have it it had started to regrow.

Bondi is having tumour (vet said exactly the same thing WEIA told me) removed on Tuesday morning. They are going to send it away to be checked just in case.

I should add "Dr" to the front of my name and start charging for online consults :thumbsup:

Not sure if it's common to other breeds mokhahouse, but working as a Vet Nurse, the only boxer's we saw without epuli, were under 5 years of age, so seems to be age related to the breed. :)

-WithEverythingIAm

Hi,

We have an 8yo Maltese/JRT mix who has an epulis growing behind & through his lower incisors. It was removed 12 months or so ago (sent off to pathology & got the all clear) but has now grown back quite vigorously so I am considering having it removed again. It has spilled over the teeth and has set up shop in front of them as well now. It isn't bothering him as such but I was told by my vet that epuli can cause issues such as gum disease and tooth decay because it's impossible to keep the area really clean.

Guess it's going to be an ongoing issue but I'm just glad it isn't a serious one.

w2s