Puppy With Worms

EEEEKKKKK my new puppy has worms just got her yesterday and wormed her yesterday this morning she is pooing roundworms they are dead well not moving oh my god its horrible. We are now being super hygenic with handwashing etc and watch her like crazy so we can pick the poo up and throw it in the rubbish bin. I've made an appointment at the vets for tommorrow couldn't get in for today but raced out yesterday when we got home just in time to get the worm tablets. My question is will there be any long lasting effects. we rang the breeder who said none of his dogs would have worms i was only ringing to tell him not to complain but she has to have got them from her mum from what i can read. How long does it take to pass them all still had some come out this morning we wormed her yesterday afternoon.

EEEEKKKKK my new puppy has worms just got her yesterday and wormed her yesterday this morning she is pooing roundworms they are dead well not moving oh my god its horrible. We are now being super hygenic with handwashing etc and watch her like crazy so we can pick the poo up and throw it in the rubbish bin. I've made an appointment at the vets for tommorrow couldn't get in for today but raced out yesterday when we got home just in time to get the worm tablets. My question is will there be any long lasting effects. we rang the breeder who said none of his dogs would have worms i was only ringing to tell him not to complain but she has to have got them from her mum from what i can read. How long does it take to pass them all still had some come out this morning we wormed her yesterday afternoon.

Oh dear :( Pups have been wormed four times before they leave here. What a clever breeder they are that their dogs could not have worms..... Be guided by your vet but I'd be worming her again fairly soon.

Four days after my friend picked her pup up, she had to take him to the vet as he was lethargic and vomiting.Originally thought it was parvo but they discovered he was riddled with worms, and they collected in a "pouch" and formed an obstruction.

He was also very anaemic and had to have 4 blood transfusions.

After 5 days in hospital and many thousands of dollars later, he is pretty much back to 100% fit.

This was supposedly after he had been wormed :(

Edited by CavsRcute

thats a great idea poodlefan.

I have had numerous litters over the years, and worm my pups from 2 wks of age, and every 2 weeks until they leave.

I then give the pup a worm tablet in front of the new owners to show them how to do it.

I had one litter that had quite a lot of worms once, but found that this litter had more grass to play around than the others and related it to sniffing and chewing off the ground more, and as such pickup worms that way also.

I advised all new owners to worm every two weeks until they were 14 weeks old. this took care of the problem. but for a breeder to say they never have worms is quite ridiculous really, all dogs have worms to some extent.

best of luck with your new pup, I am sure all will be ok once treated by the vet on a more stringent course of worming than what your "breeder" (cant really call themselves a breeder with a response to you like that" :laugh: ,

Some good advice would have been all that you needed I am sure.

again, good luck with those yucky worms....

Hi,

Been to the vet alls going really well she is due to have another worm tablet on wednesday shes lost her hard "fat" belly her coat is shiny and i think today we finally got the hang of oing in the crate without a temper tantrum yeah!! One week of controlled crying has finally paid off.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just discovered tapeworms all through my puppies poo, he's only 9 weeks and i cant beleive how big and long they were (sorry if it sounds gross but never seen anything like this) I've just given him drontal allwormer but according to the breeder he's been wormed??... we also found out on Friday he has ringworm too :p Since i've only just noticed the tapeworm im gonna take another trip to the vets tomorrow. He;s also on antibiotics to i hope its ok mixing drontal with Clavulox.

last week a person i know left town and called me after she had been away for two days to let me know noone had been feeding her dog which has 7 puppies i went around there and was disgusted with how bad the mother looked i could actually see her shoulder bone moving in the joint when she walked she was so thin ... i took her to the vet and she had 7 different kinds of worms .. this was after being wormed apparently the week before by the coles brand of dog wormer ... the vet then told me the coles brand while it is expensive doesnt get all worms like i thought and he gave me three tablets at 2.35 each and a bottle of wormer for the puppies for 12 dollars each that would kill all types of worms .. clearly the worms wasnt the dogs only problem but the vet told me if left untreated dogs look terrible when they have worms and they dont gain weight .

i will only ever get my worming tablets from my vet from now on ... it really opened my eyes with the coles brand

Tapeworms arnt big and long if your dogs got tape they come out in segmants.Your pups got roundworm and the drontal will kill them.Drontal kills all gut worms.

ok..im sorry if this sounds too gross but they looked like grains off rice but some were joined together and others were like one single rice grain, they were flat looking, does that still sound like roundworm??

Tapeworms arnt big and long if your dogs got tape they come out in segmants.Your pups got roundworm and the drontal will kill them.Drontal kills all gut worms.

ok..im sorry if this sounds too gross but they looked like grains off rice but some were joined together and others were like one single rice grain, they were flat looking, does that still sound like roundworm??

Oh yeah that sounds like tape but real bad.I dunno how a 9 weeks old pup could have tapeworms that bad.Did she have flaes when you got her coz thats how dogs get tape they get them from swallowing fleas.

Oh yeah that sounds like tape but real bad.I dunno how a 9 weeks old pup could have tapeworms that bad.Did she have flaes when you got her coz thats how dogs get tape they get them from swallowing fleas.

oh no!! yeah he did have fleas, the breeder said she put frontline on him but the poor little guy also has ringworm and pyoderma, i contacted the breeder and she has no idea where he would have got ringworm from. anyway the vet has given clavulox for the skin prob and malaseb for the ringworm but i'll have to take him to the vets about the tapeworm tomorrow, can tapeworm kill pup's?

oh, i put advocate on him Monday last week.

The fact is that even the best families can get worms. It doesn't mean that the breeder was necessarily lax or neglectful. It simply means that they didn't worm at the correct developmental stage of the worm and that there were still eggs or larvae hatching.

Just keep worming on a regular basis, according to the correct dosage with a good allwormer and that is all you need to concern yourself about.

Maybe I expect to much but Id be a bit put out if I bought a pup from a reg breeder and it had tapeworm fleas ringworm and pyoderma at 9 weeks

Why did you buy it then if it had so many obvious issues?