Turkey Mince

Does anyone in Eastern or outer Eastern Melbourne regularly buy Turkey mince as in ground necks/wings suitable for a barf mix??

I have an older dog who reacts skin and intestinal wise to beef/chicken/lamb, have had success with fish and duck but I'm thinking Turkey is the next cheapest available other meat source.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Mel. :cry:

I have never come across turkey minced carcuss.

Another alternative to a shop that sells the mince might be a turkey farm and see if they will sell you the carcusses, necks etc and then you could mince them yourself with a high powered mincer.

Have you tried kangaroo?

Some Safeway/Woolies stores sell turkey mince in their Deli Section. I know as when I had the Collie with IBD she was put onto a diet of turkey mince and the Deli did a deal with me as I was buying it in lots and often. From memoery in 2005 I was paying $6 per kg and it was human grade.

Some Safeway/Woolies stores sell turkey mince in their Deli Section. I know as when I had the Collie with IBD she was put onto a diet of turkey mince and the Deli did a deal with me as I was buying it in lots and often. From memoery in 2005 I was paying $6 per kg and it was human grade.

With just plain mince you wouldn't have the required bone content for a balanced diet.

Does anyone in Eastern or outer Eastern Melbourne regularly buy Turkey mince as in ground necks/wings suitable for a barf mix??

I have an older dog who reacts skin and intestinal wise to beef/chicken/lamb, have had success with fish and duck but I'm thinking Turkey is the next cheapest available other meat source.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Mel. :(

Why does it need to be minced? :( The whole basis of the BARF diet is that digestion starts with the action dog the dog chewing up the bones. If you mince it all up you may as well feed canned food or dog rolls from the supermarket. I have fed BARF for about ten years now and my dogs all eat the meaty bones no matter what age they are. If they have any trouble chewing I cut it into smaller pieces for them but never mince it. The only time I have heard of dogs having any trouble digesting raw bone is if it is minced. Minced bone can have sharp edges and the dogs just swallow it as is rather than grinding it up themselves if they have to eat the whole bones.

There are a few reasons, health and logistical- it's a bit more complicated than you realise.

In terms of logistical I can totally understand. Personally I don't have an hour or so to sit and supervise my pugs eating a bone every day, yes that's how long they take to eat a decent sized bone and I supervise so they don't fight or choke, so can totally understand why people choose to feed minced bone and meat rather then whole bones every day.

There are a few reasons, health and logistical- it's a bit more complicated than you realise.

I understand the barf diet very well, and I don't need to be flamed so I'm not going into it here. :champagne:

Mel.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as flamimg you but I have seen some absolute disasters with feeding minced bone and have also found my own dogs so much healthier now that they don't get anything minced. I have also come across people who think they are feeding barf when in fact they are just creating their own version of canned dog food and they wonder why their dogs have health problems.