Soft Pads - Need To Harden

My girl has soft pads at the moment - unusual considering where we walk and that i have hard floors at home.

She was limping on her left hind leg yesterday. - Can see no damage to her foot or leg (no stones caught, damage, cuts nothing) but breeder thinks maybe pads are soft and a bit worn - so may be sore.

Breeder has suggest Padaid to harden them up a bit and to help heal whatever may be wrong with them

Anyone know where i can get it? I found an old thread on here about the topic (from google would you believe) but cant post in it - too old.

The only other google link was from a farm supplier - i would have to order it online. Would like to find a store, vet or somewhere where i could pick it up.

I am in Adelaide - and the Complete Canine Company doesnt have it...

how old is she, if you have started walkng her then they will jsut toughen up on there own, pavement is fine and will toughen them up in there own time.

she's one year old. Should have definitely been toughened up - we walk on ashphalt, 'bout 1 km or so each or every other day. She has hard floor (lino strip on concrete slab) inside, concrete and grass outside. Dont know why they are so soft at present.

Could be because too much walking and she is wearing them down too much? They do have worn spots on them.

at a year old they should quite tough, you say they have worn spots on them, i dont think you have to walk less, but mabey try walk on grass as much as posible for a while and if you see a diffrence then you will know if its to much wear and tare thats cuasing it.

• 4 weeks later...
Pad aid is a product from NZ and is no longer available in Aust. I tried for months to get it. No go I am afraid

might explain why the website I have been trying to contact wont get back to me.

thanks for the suggestions everyone.

will try the tuf-foot

I have a similar problem with my girl. She wears her back pads down due to an injury. We've tried a lot of things, salt water baths (warm) help but we found friars balm which comes in a little bottle in any chemist works very well too. It's not expensive and you just clean the pads and paint it on like nail polish. If she's so sore she's lame I'd be putting boots on her or spraying her pads with something like spray on bandage until they've healed a bit first other wise everything will just sting.

If you lift up her feet when she's been walking they should look dry (unless it's been raining of course) if they look damp or have little light spots on them it's a sign that her pads have worn back too far.

Good luck.

Edited by Natsu chan