Independant Puppy

Bindii

We got our lovely Samoyed puppy last Friday (20/3). He is absoloutely beautiful, now 9 weeks old. Very well mannered with greeting us and visitors (no jumping), doing exceptionally well with toilet training, getting along brilliantly with our 12 month old pug, playing lots of fetch, tug of war, pouncing, eating, drinking, and seeming generally happy with everything in life.

It's just his napping that i'm not sure about.

The napping itself is fine, he's a puppy. But he just wanders off to his own little spot, generally a tiled area - the kitchen, front entrance, bathroom, presumably because it's nice and cool. He never wants to snuggle with us on the couch, and even when we go to sit near him at his chosen spot for that particular nap, he moves off. Is it his breed? His confidence? Does he just want to rest and not be disturbed? Have we not bonded with him fully because of Hugo? Does he hate us!! :rofl:

I'm completely comparing him to Hugo. And as pug owners would know, they are absoloute lap dogs. Hugo wanted to be no where else but in my arms, snuggled as close as possible, he followed me (and still does) into every room, hated to be away from me. But Fletcher's okay with this. Which i think is a good thing, but is also kind of worrying me!

I'd just love to know your experiences with different breeds/bonding/independence etc.

I would definitely say it's his breed.

Some breeds are more independent than others, especially Spitz breeds.

Neither Micha or Daisy were very clingy, on-you-all-the-time dogs, which is actually the way I like it! Velcro dogs are not my cup of tea. In fact as puppies they rarely wanted to be picked up and cuddled, it was just not their style.

Even at 6 1/2 years of age, Micha at his cuddliest will sit near me, or if he wants an ear rub he will sometimes put his head in my lap.

I wouldn't worry too much, some breeds are more independent and some dogs are more naturally aloof than others :rofl:

Dont stress at all Bindii, my Samoyed was exactly the same.

He loves to sleep away from us right against the front door, even in winter. They have a very thick coat even as babies and they do overheat easily.

Mistral was rather stand offish for a little while and I thought that he wasnt interested in us at all but one day he just turned around and wouldnt leave us alone, now everyone can see that he is a complete mammas boy :rofl: Now that he is oldder he does come up for cuddles and hugs, he just dosnt stay very long, again its just too hot for him.

I am yet to meet a Samoyed that isnt totally obsessed with its humans.

Dont worry he will come around, give him time :laugh:

Okay that sounds good! I guess it's just because i've gotten used to my mummy's-boy Hugo and it worried me a little!

I really like that Hugo shows his affection so strongly, and i think if its just Fletcher's breed and his personality then that's fine! I just wanted some confirmation that that's what it is.

It would be a lot trickier if they were fighting over my lap for sleepy time. I can share my love during play time, but my lap is only so big!

ETA reply to wolfsong:

thanks for that!! So Samoyed's are a little cleverer..erer... because you have to win them over! haha. That's fine with me. Good to hear it's normal.

.... and with all this stress Fletcher is now by my side nudging my leg for pats. He does love me. Only a little so far though. hehe. :rofl:

Edited by Bindii

Dont stress at all Bindii, my Samoyed was exactly the same.

He loves to sleep away from us right against the front door, even in winter. They have a very thick coat even as babies and they do overheat easily.

Wolfsong, that's interesting, I know with Sibes their coats are like insulation and it keeps them cool in summer and warm in winter. I've never heard of a sibe who over heats because of their coat, they have very good control over their body temperature. Mish does better in heat than Daisy who is short coated.

Is it different for Sammies because of their longer hair? I am not very Samoyed-savvy LOL :rofl::laugh:

ETA: Bindii, being a Spitz breed you might find he will give affection differently to your Puggy. Micha wants to be around me, but he doesn't want to be attached to my side 24/7 if you know what I mean.

Edited by huski

Yep. I think you're right Huski. Well that's good, I thought it was just that but thought that maybe someone might have thought it could be him feeling uncomfortable or something. But personality differences is just fine with me.

I heard the insulation theory too, but i've found in our short time together he get's over heated pretty easily and *loves* splashing water everywhere and lying/rolling in it... oh and the same with the dirt in the shade. :rofl:

I am excited to have a water lover though. Hugo's petrified of the stuff!

ETA: pretty sure my boys are as opposite as they come now, in both looks and personality it seems! both ends of the spectrum. ahhh :laugh: Equality.

Edited by Bindii

I heard the insulation theory too, but i've found in our short time together he get's over heated pretty easily and *loves* splashing water everywhere and lying/rolling in it... oh and the same with the dirt in the shade. :rofl:

If it makes you feel any better Daisy (who is a beagle) on her first day home took herself off into another part of the house and slept in the corner for hours. No interest in her doggy bed, or being near us or the other dogs, she was very independent knew what she wanted from day one!

I know that Siberian Huskies can climatise quite easily and have very good control over their body temperature because of their double coat, and this is definitely true with all Sibes I have ever met - but I have no idea of how applicable that is with Samoyeds! Mish loves swimming any time, and likes to lie in cool areas, but he certainly has never over heated. Samoyeds could be different though!! :laugh:

Where's wolfsong gone? we need answers! haha.

Samoyed's definitely have the whole double coat thing going on, and you'd think all spitzen (is that right?) would have the same method of climatising given their background. It's hard to tell with Fletcher really, because is he playing with the water/dirt because it's fun, or because its cool? and does he really seem overheated, or is he just a tired puppy? He pretty much always sleeps on the tiles, flat on his belly with his legs out the back (looks like a fluffy slug, must take a photo) I've only ever seen Hugo sleep like this on 40+ degree days.

....i've got to stop comparing them.

Here are two pics for you Bindii, prooving that Samoyeds are the biggest cuddle monsters ever:

Curled up on my lap

Lapdog-1.jpg

And sleeping with my OH

Teddybear1-1.jpg

Huski Hmmm I just re read what I wrote and didn't quite get across what I meant (sorry all having a slow night). :rofl:

What I meant was that although they don't over heat normally very easily, the coat does insulate well, it would seem that when it is very hot or with very close prolonged bodily contact they do tend to get uncomfortable and seek out cooler spots to sleep or be. Also when sleeping they do tend to prefure to be either outside or near something cool, not the kinds of dogs to seek out a warm bed like other breeds.

Does that make a bit more sense?

Your right, Mist can regulate his temp better then Lestat too, but also seems more inclined to cuddle when the weather is cooler rather then when it is stinking hot.

They do also have a different coat to other Spitz breeds, having hair rather then fur as the top layer. Not sure if this makes a huge difference as I have not owned other breeds.

Oh and as a pup Fletcher wont have the propper insulation that an adult does yet.

Edited by Wolfsong

Ahh what gorgeous photos of mistral! Loooove the sleeping in bed one! I just can't see that happening with the fletch just yet!! Can't wait to get to know him better though... It will come with time. This doesn't *really* compare... But when i got my second ferret i had similar feelings of "lack of bonding" to the same degree as with the first ferret, and i'm just having flash backs to that time. Even with a ferret, the bonding eventually happened and didn't take that long at all!

Also, just a side note, can't wait to see Fletcher's big boofy grown up boy look to. While puppy stage is so cute and fluffy and bouncy, Mistral is just stunning and i'm so excited that that's what Fletcher will grow into!

Thanks for the info about their coats. Fascinating stuff.. Does this also have to do with the theories of hypoallergy and the lack of 'doggie' smell?

Thankyou I think he is pretty darn special but he is still very much a baby, I found that at the shows this weekend when he was standing next to his half uncle Bud who is about 4 or so and its amazing to see the difference in them.

At home Mistral looks big and boofy but when near another dog he seems so much like a baby still! Having said that it will be another 2 or so years before Mistral really fills out and looks like a real adult! His lines are very slow to really grow up.

And yes the lack of fur is one of the things that makes them better for allergy sufferers, having said that it all depends on what the person is actually allergic too offcause.

Edited by Wolfsong

Thanks for the clarification WS! I definitely agree a pup won't have it's full coat so won't have the same control over it's body temp as an adult dog would.

You should see Micha in winter, he is pathetic :rofl: Part of me thinks he actually gets cold :laugh:

Thanks for the clarification WS! I definitely agree a pup won't have it's full coat so won't have the same control over it's body temp as an adult dog would.

You should see Micha in winter, he is pathetic :laugh: Part of me thinks he actually gets cold :)

And he is in queensland! I wonder how he would cope down here :rofl:

You should see Micha in winter, he is pathetic :) Part of me thinks he actually gets cold :)

And he is in queensland! I wonder how he would cope down here :rofl:

He curls up into the tiniest little Sibe ball when it's cold, and he smooshes himself into his bed in the corner. He doesn't have a jumper or coat like the other dogs do but sometimes I look at him and swear he looks cold!! I know I know... I'm paranoid :laugh::laugh::)

And Daisy for some reason, even though she suffers in very hot weather, will 'sun' herself on the deck?? I'm often like - come on now Daisy, there's shade everywhere! Why are you in the sun spot??

Edited by huski

Daisy and Lestat sounds exactly the same, he will also lay in the midday summer sun :rofl:

And does Lestat pant away like an idiot? And then come inside and have one side of their body be really hot... why puppies? WHY?? :laugh:

Daisy and Lestat sounds exactly the same, he will also lay in the midday summer sun :rofl:

And does Lestat pant away like an idiot? And then come inside and have one side of their body be really hot... why puppies? WHY?? :)

Yeah that would be him, he also had a very burnt nose one year, no matter what I did it got burnt. Got to the point where I had to keep him inside almost all day :laugh: silly boy.

If it makes you feel any better Daisy (who is a beagle) on her first day home took herself off into another part of the house and slept in the corner for hours. No interest in her doggy bed, or being near us or the other dogs, she was very independent knew what she wanted from day one!

I know that Siberian Huskies can climatise quite easily and have very good control over their body temperature because of their double coat, and this is definitely true with all Sibes I have ever met - but I have no idea of how applicable that is with Samoyeds! Mish loves swimming any time, and likes to lie in cool areas, but he certainly has never over heated. Samoyeds could be different though!! :rolleyes:

My elkhound does not like the heat at all. He has a spitz double coat as well, but never likes going out in the sun.

He was also independent as a puppy and didn't like too much cuddling. After being with us for a week, he was sleeping alone in his room without a problem.

Even now, when we get back from dog park, he gets his special toy and goes to the lower level of the house and spends about half an hour by himself, while we all, including our goldie, stay on the upper main level.

However, he does cuddle more now. And because he doesn't do it all the time, it is so special. I love it when he comes and sits next to me with his head on my lap :rolleyes:

Both our dogs were/are like this. Lili is a ten month old Australian Shepherd and Mosley is a 6 month old Anatolian Shepherd x Maremma and they were BOTH like this :)

Lili didn't want to snuggle and would sleep near you on the floor, Mosley goes to the other end of the house sometimes for his naps!!!

I wouldn't worry, all pups have different personalities, Lili has become more snuggly as she got older but Mosley is still off on his own :) Actually right now he's behind the couch, I just heard him fart :)