Feeding A Young Pup, Quick Questions

Heyas :rofl:

Quick question. Do young pups, ie 6.5wks of age, need anything special in regards to diet?

I'm just wondering because a lady on another forum has just purchased a very young pup that was still feeding from its mother and she has no idea what to feed it. (obviously from a byb).

Anyway I wanted to ask you guys because I seriously have no idea if young pups who aren't weaned properly need something special in their diet or if there are good commercial foods she can buy and I wanted to give her some decent advice. Is puppy milk okay?

Also is there anything she needs to be aware of in regards to its health? Apparently it hasn't been wormed or vaxxed because the seller 'doesn't believe in it'. She has organised a vet visit for monday iirc and I told her to get the pup fully checked out, but is there anything else? She has to keep her indoors yeh? God it's been so long since I had a pup I have no idea :o

Any help you can give me would be appreciated. I'll just paste it into her thread.

I told her to pop on here to ask but I don't know if she will.

Cheers!

Indoors yes, as it wouldn't be able to regulate its body temp and would be prone to heat or cold. Will need to be watched closely for getting chilled.

It can be fed a quality brand of puppy dry food. If the dry food is soaked for a couple of hours in puppy milk such as you would get from a supermarket it is much easier for tiny pups to eat as it will turn to mush. Raw mince as well if it can take it.

I have hand raised pups from a few weeks old and had them do quite well from such an age on this sort of thing. If the vet thinks it's any younger then a milk replacer like Divetelact (or there's one with a blue label you can get from a vet's that's even better - product name is escaping me... :o ) would be in order.

Good luck.

Pup doesn't need to be kept indoors..providing outdoors is pup proof and sheltered :o

Food.. whatever the breeder was feeding, for starters- and if that is rubbish, SLOWLY introduce a good puppy dry food, plus chicken wings ,etc.

Pup does not need milk...or weetbix, or rice, or cooked mince :rofl:

Indoors yes, as it wouldn't be able to regulate its body temp and would be prone to heat or cold. Will need to be watched closely for getting chilled.

Pups can regulate their body temp from 2-3 weeks onwards.

Rehydratable Puppy Advance would be a good choice, and some chicken mince. Puppy milk/goats milk/puppy porridge would be nice and would no doubt go down well too.

No need to add milk at this stage.

Keep on the diet the breeder had started to wean onto but if this is not a decent food, slowly change it to a better brand.

At 6.5 weeks the food can be fed soaked or dry or a mixture of both, depending on what the pup is happy to eat.

Pup can spend some time outside to play, explore and for toilet training.

I would get the pup wormed at the vet check and vaccinate from 8 weeks (but I know in Oz, you guys do 3 lots of vaccs and we only do 2 over here in the puppy series)

First & foremost ,get the pup checked over by a vet ! Worming is very inportant & should really be started @ 2 weeks of age then 4 ,6, 8, weeks Then12 weeks.

As has already been suggested a good brand of puppy kibble soaked in bioling water overnight .& a supplementry formular given aswell ie ,biolac ,or one of the many available .

Pup can go outside in a Germ free area ,in warm weather but do aviod chilling .

do not use boiling water and soak it an hour before the pup is to be fed, do not leave it sitting out over night.

Good advice :laugh:

AFAIK- boiling water kills off many nutrients, whilst leaving it soak overnight can lead to fermentation