Advice On New Camera - Which Canon

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, those aren't nearly as bad as you think :laugh:

The third one looks pretty spot on for focus. The middle one isn't sharp where you want it but you can see that; I think the focus is more on the metal bit, not the dog. The first one is *almost* sharp where you want it but it looks like the focus is on the body and not right on the eye (which is usually where you want it).

Monitor calibration is really important if you want to really see what you have.

RAW is totally easy - you just flip the switch on your camera. Then you need Lightroom or Photoshop or even the DPP that came with your camera to process it. The files are larger because there is so much more information inside them than with jpeg (which throws away anything your camera doesn't think you need). One of the benefits of RAW is that because there is more information, tweaking is easier and your end result is better. You still have to get it as right as possible in camera, but for the fluff ups and for those images that need some extra loving (especially in the shadows and highlights) RAW is a godsend.

Leaving your file type for now - just experiment and see which you prefer - have a look at your settings when you are using Av. What is your shutter speed? With the 60 you can drop your shutter way way down BUT only if you are shooting something that doesn't move much. If you are shooting doggies, usually they're going to swing their heads around or otherwise attempt to screw up your shot :laugh: So you'll need to keep a reasonable shutter.

It might be a good time to practice manual settings. Again, try a few things to see what works. At the very least it will help you get a feel for which situations your camera nails everything in Av and also get a feel for when you need to jump in and give it a little helping hand.

With your camera body, you should be perfectly fine shooting up to ISO 400. ISO 800 is also pretty good, but does tend to get a little noisy in the shadows if you don't nail your exposure perfectly; 800 can only take a tiny tweak. Shooting in RAW will also give you a little more room to work.

HTH

Edited by kja

First one is fine if there was shadow under the patio (which it appears), second one looks like motion blur either you or more likely the subject (since that bar is fine). Third one is fine.

Pick an object (say a coloured car - not white or black) in full sunlight with the sun behind you set the camera to M on F8, ISO 400 and 1/1000th speed. If it looks OK then the camera is fine its just the settings. I don't use anything below 400ISO and havent had a problem in photos right up to 16x24 inch canvas print (havent had anything bigger done with this camera)

You could try putting it on P - this does an OK job of juggling both speed and aperture for a shot. I tried both P and the manual settings above for some showjumping two weeks ago (was lunch of xc so if they didnt work so problem) and while the images look the same apart from some motion blur on the front legs when jumping on P the camera used a lower speed setting (say 1/64o) and a higher aperture (F11 from memory). And the close up as the horses cantered past were fine.

So instead of trying to 'force' a particular shutter speed using TV & AV try putting it on P (for professional!!) and see how it goes is you arent confident with manual settings as yet. Its amazing the difference changing a setting can make (if you can find a good instructional book on DSLRs that you can follow even better - Im just waiting for PS CS4 for Dummies to turn up due to a heap of new functions in the new software - have already got one very good book on how to do various things but I want the basics explained)

Edited by rubiton

Thanks eveyone - geez, Ive learnt more here in a couple of days than Ive learnt anywhere else!! You are all awesome!

Ok, today I gave RAW a shot and tried one of my other lenses. I think the shots turned out ok

Here are some - one of my pups Zeus (Amstaff x Bull Mastiff) and one of his friends - my Mums dog Jack (Tenterfield Terrier x)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34919246@N08/3428499186/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34919246@N08/3427688649/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34919246@N08/3428495488/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34919246@N08/3427684977/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34919246@N08/3427682989/

ergonomically better for long term shutter pressing :wave: lighter than my d300 ( but i cant expect it to be in that field or compare) not a high res screen i didnt think? easy to use though without knowing anything about it. This one had a battery pack on it and was still light.

ergonomically better for long term shutter pressing :laugh: lighter than my d300 ( but i cant expect it to be in that field or compare) not a high res screen i didnt think? easy to use though without knowing anything about it. This one had a battery pack on it and was still light.

You used a Canon???? I am surprised it didn't burn your hands, like holy water on a vampire!!!!!! :wave:

Edited by Kirislin

:) it is all good fun. All Michael had to do to take a better shot with mine than i do is hold it, even on the same settings :p

I think im having another Canon bash tomorrow too :love:

Hey huge congrats on Rosie Posie's little girl's win!