Changing Colour

jin

Hi there I was wondering whether it is common for poodle puppies to change colour. Although I have posted this in the 'puppy problems' section, I only did this to focus the discussion on puppies- its not a problem at all and my puppy is healthy. I'm just curious.

When I got him at two months he was a very darn brown but he has since started to get lighter. he's now a little over four months old.

thanks!

Our choc lab changed colour quite alot. At one stage he had a 'strip' of almost orange colour on top of his head and down the top of his back where the sun bleached him a bit. It went away again though. I think they can change, due to sun but also just maturation.

Our Cav had a really cute white, curvy stripe down her back, but as she's grown, it's disappeared :wave::)

No idea why but it's just another of her charming quirks :rofl:

Yes with a tricolour Cav the white does disappear a bit as they grow. If they have a narrow blaze as a baby they will usually lose it.

No idea about poodles though sorry except to ask where is the photo? :cry:

Hi there I was wondering whether it is common for poodle puppies to change colour. Although I have posted this in the 'puppy problems' section, I only did this to focus the discussion on puppies- its not a problem at all and my puppy is healthy. I'm just curious.

When I got him at two months he was a very darn brown but he has since started to get lighter. he's now a little over four months old.

thanks!

As said it can be normal for him to change colour, a lot of chocolates will burn off on the edges and look rusty , but as this pup is so young i would say he may end up to be A Cafe Au Lait, not a recognised colour but quite pretty, depends on whether he keeps getting lighter or not. Does he have colour breeding behind him, or just black and brown?

My previous dog - a toy poodle - started out as a lovely apricot colour. By the time he was one he was a cream colour. However if he had surgery or a cut the hair on this line would grow back apricot and then fade after a while. At the time the information I had available to me was that this was quite common in apricots but I'm not sure about other colours.

Our choc lab changed colour quite alot. At one stage he had a 'strip' of almost orange colour on top of his head and down the top of his back where the sun bleached him a bit. It went away again though. I think they can change, due to sun but also just maturation.

Expect colour change to continue with a choco lab. Often the undercoat and topcoat are somewhat different colours, and as the undercoat thickens and thins the coat colour changes . . . not to mention sun bleaching. None of my chocos have faded, though.

thanks!

our pup was dark choc brown with a white star on his chest.

He is now latte in places, gey in places and the white star is gone. His main coulour is lighter brown with bleached tips!

nothing like what we started with!

I agree. Photo required, please. :wave:

We were looking at a brown poodle (some call them chocolate, but the colour is brown) and the pups are a lovely colour when young, but the colour does 'fade' as they get older.

In the end we went with a different breed and he's a lovely dark liver colour (chocolate colour for the ignorant), as dark as a chocolate lab. He's lovely. I do know that if he goes out in the sun for long periods of time, his colour will be bleached by the sun and he will end up lighter and with possible orange tints.

I have a red border collie who is a nice deep red - IMO.

As a pup she was quite pale but her ears were red. The breeder said she would darken with age to be the colour of her ears, which she has.

I have been told that brown border collies fade in excessive sun.