Puppy Problem

pinky11

hi i have just recently brought home our beautiful english staffy pup home and need advice in regards why he eats he eats his poo if we dont stop him in time?

is he lacking something in his diet?

used to see mum do this?

or just a puppy thing?

i've never had a pup that does this before

any advice would be greatful

thanx rachael

Some dogs do eat their poo, it is not abnormal. My pup did that last timebut she stopped after awhile.

if you want your pup to stop, try putting some pineapple juice in his meal, apparently that will stop dog from eating his poo. :rolleyes:

but it is not a big deal really, it happens to many dogs

It's kinda gross from a human perspective but not abnormal, if you can cope just ignore it, giving any kind of attention whether negative or positive is probably helping to cement the behaviour long term.

Ours does too on occasion, he's slowly growing out of it thank goodness (it's pretty minging!) Apparently it's just a dog thing, don't make a fuss, just quietly clean it up as soon as you can before he gets to it, and eventually he'll stop (or so we're hoping!). We tried pineapple - he was allergic to it and itched like crazy - but it's worked for other people i've heard! Good luck.

It's kinda gross from a human perspective but not abnormal, if you can cope just ignore it, giving any kind of attention whether negative or positive is probably helping to cement the behaviour long term.

Well when we first got our puppy, after he'd been to the toilet a few times he randomly turned around and tried to taste his poo. Well this might be cruel but since we like letting him lick us, we went a bit psycho at him, and that negative response from us seems to have done the trick. Since then (4 weeks later) he doesn't even look at his poo. I'm not sure though if he would have eaten it, he might have just been curious, so I'm not sure if it would be different with a dog who was really determined to eat their poo :thumbsup: