Not Sure About This.. Should I Be Worried?

W Sibs

Well, I'm a little worried... but, for the past few days, I've noticed that Charlie has been dragging his butt on the ground...

I've never seen any dogs do this before.. is this something i should be worried about?

Is he cleaning his butt? or is he itchy?

Yup sounds like he has worms to me... My cat did the same thing once and it turned out to be worms, she'd been living indoors for over 6 months in an apartment so we hadn't kept up to date, still not sure how she got them though :s

Has his poo been softer than usual?

i haven't noticed.. but it's lighter in colour?

If Barkly get a case of the soft poos - he will do the same thing - I've assumed it's because his anal glands aren't emptying properly. A nice meal of chicken frames usually fixed him up :thumbsup:

If you are concerned - a quick trip to the vet is probably best.

Diet is important as dogs need to form firm stools in order to empty their anal glands, so a dog with soft stools is more likely to accumulate an excess of fluid in the glands. However some dogs (mostly small breeds) seem to have problems regardless of diet and need their glands emptied on a regular basis. If they're allowed to remain full they can become infected and if left indefinitely an abscess may form which will need draining and treatment with antibiotics. At worst the anal glands may need to be removed.

Diet is important as dogs need to form firm stools in order to empty their anal glands, so a dog with soft stools is more likely to accumulate an excess of fluid in the glands. However some dogs (mostly small breeds) seem to have problems regardless of diet and need their glands emptied on a regular basis. If they're allowed to remain full they can become infected and if left indefinitely an abscess may form which will need draining and treatment with antibiotics. At worst the anal glands may need to be removed.

wow.. now i'm more than a little worried! puppy is only 9 weeks old!

puppy is booked into the vet tomorrow morning for a thorough check up!

btw, puppy is on a raw food diet. mostly chicken at the moment...

and he gets puppy milk too (he goes crazy over it)

Oh I didn't realise he's only 9 weeks! Probably not anal glands then, possibly worms or maybe something is irritating him. Have you looked at his anus, is it inflamed at all?

ETA they should be wormed every two weeks at this age.

Edited by Miranda

Guest Pandii

He has long fur, is no poo caught in his fur and making him uncomfortable, have you looked at his bum

Do you know if the breeder wormed him at all and if so when it was and what they wormed him with.... it could just be that he needs a good worming. Dont go panicking as it is most probably something as simple as that, especially if he's a pup that likes to pick things off the ground. :thumbsup:

Another suggestion. If he has a lot of chicken necks and wings he may have very hard stools that are scratching his anus as he passes them causing irritation. If you're worming him regularly you need to check out his poos and take a look at his bum :thumbsup:

ok.. thank god!

seriously, i've lived with dogs all my life... but Charlie is the first puppy I've own.

my parents adopted older dogs (we had 6 growing up).. the youngest was like 9 months old or something.

yeah, i look at his anus.. and it looks kinda matted. i cleaned it up with a wet towel.. so hopefully, it's fine.

still, i'm going to take him to the vet for a proper check up though..

yeah, i look at his anus.. and it looks kinda matted. i cleaned it up with a wet towel.. so hopefully, it's fine.

Sounds like you've solved the problem :thumbsup:

haha.. i hope so!

still, going to check if he has worms..