Whingy Puppy-when Tired.

tez

Just after some advice from more experienced puppy owners. Jane, our nearly 10 week old labby cross is a really fantastic girl. We have had her nearly 2 weeks and she has been a delight.

The trouble is that she really fights going to sleep. She becomes really vocal in a whingy wiggley way. This can go on for about 10 minutes or so before she finally flops down under someones legs or under a bed or in her little kennel. Its almost like having an over-tired toddler( which is exactly what she is, I suppose). I'm assuming this is normal but I'm really not sure...she seems quite distressed at the time until she finally gives in to sleep!!!

Any advice would be very welcome!

My Dally was the biggest whinge of a tired puppy you've ever seen.....actually not much has changed in 2 years :laugh:

He simply could not shut his eyes in the lounge room even if they were hanging out of his head! Every time someone moved or a cat walked past or a bird chirped he would bolt upright - very funny :love: I ended up putting him to bed in an open crate in the laundry which was lovely and quiet. When he started to get a bit grizzly (just like a toddler :) ) I would sit quietly with him on the floor and stroke him gently.....one yawn.....another yawn....yet another and strike three, you're out!!! Off to the crate with a puppy kong full of biscuits and leave him there for 2-3 hours. Best thing I ever did :laugh:

Thanks for the suggestion...much appreciated. We thought young Jane might just be alittle ADHD!

We don't have a crate and apart from the night time, she will take herself off to her bed in my room for a kip during the day and go to sleep really well. At night she turns into an obnoxious brat and chews and jumps on anything that moves. Tried the slow pats but she got over-stimulated with the movement. We will have ago at the ignoring thing and see how we go!!! Hoping its just a developmental stage...shes great with training and not worried or scared at meeting other people or animals so fingers crossed!!!