Grooming A Mini Schnauzer

Do you groom your own mini schnauzer?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. If you are just a regular pet owner of a mini schnauzer (ie not a breeder or a vet), do you groom you own mini schnauzer?

• Yes
    • No
    • Tried to but failed
  2. 2. If you have your schnauzer professionally groomed, how much do you spend each time?

• < $30
    • $31-$40
    • $41-$50
    • $51-$60
    • $61-$70
    • $70 plus

I'm one of the owners turned amateur groomers ;) :clap:

It ain't easy that's for sure! I only had one MS this time last year and took him to pet care day run by the schnauzer club NSW. I watched him being clipped by an expert who gave me a quick run down as he went, I took a few photos and made some mental notees and I've been clipping ever since.

I was sick of paying for bad clips, so that was my motivation. I now have 3 MS under my roof (2 under 2 yo and a new foster) and there are significant financial benefits if you clip yourself. BUT as others have said

-It takes a few hours each time

-It takes practice

-You need quality tools or you've got no chance

-You need some friendly folk to give you honest feedback

-You need to be firm and train your dog to be good on the table or it's a disaster waiting to happen

It's definitely possible, and you get out what you put in.

I bought Andis clippers and they are great, I bought a qualtiy slicker brush and I cheaped out on a comb and scissors. I can't stand the scissors or the comb and have a few more blades on my wish list...but it was a reasonable start. Be prepared to fork out atleast $600 to get reasonable versions of everything. It seems like alot, but when you consider 3 dogs at $60ish per clip, 6 times a year, they pay for themselves in no time!

I'm one of the owners turned amateur groomers :laugh::hug:

It ain't easy that's for sure! I only had one MS this time last year and took him to pet care day run by the schnauzer club NSW. I watched him being clipped by an expert who gave me a quick run down as he went, I took a few photos and made some mental notees and I've been clipping ever since.

I was sick of paying for bad clips, so that was my motivation. I now have 3 MS under my roof (2 under 2 yo and a new foster) and there are significant financial benefits if you clip yourself. BUT as others have said

-It takes practice

-You need to be firm and train your dog to be good on the table or it's a disaster waiting to happen

I bought Andis clippers and they are great, I bought a qualtiy slicker brush and I cheaped out on a comb and scissors. I can't stand the scissors or the comb and have a few more blades on my wish list...but it was a reasonable start. Be prepared to fork out atleast $600 to get reasonable versions of everything. It seems like alot, but when you consider 3 dogs at $60ish per clip, 6 times a year, they pay for themselves in no time!

Thanks for sharing that.

Have you ever accidently knicked your dog while clipping? And how do you get them to stand still for an hour?

I'm one of the owners turned amateur groomers :rofl::hug:

-It takes practice

Thanks for sharing that.

Have you ever accidently knicked your dog while clipping? And how do you get them to stand still for an hour?

Hey all, :laugh:

Watch the ear's, they are tricky but with a little pressure they stop bleeding. Just go for it , its fun learning. You can also you tube schnauzer grooming. Very interesting

Edited by luv mini schnauzers

And how do you get them to stand still for an hour?

Training ,training & training from the day pup comes home.

When you brush its done on a raised area(table,washing machine etc etc) place a non slip mat done & make your pup stand(no sittiing,laying done) & not allowing jumping off.

Its all about reinforcing that word "stand" Stay

Its repetition & patience.

Do it regularly & it becomes natural to the dog.Dont do it regularly nor put the time in in & you will find your 2 hands are holding the dog leaving nothing for that nice equipment.

Out pups go clipped at 8 weeks so they now all about grooming,bath & blow dryer its then up to the owners to persist & stick to the regime.

It's closer to 2 hours than an hour...basically what settlvr said. Lots of firm but fair training, verbal reinforcement and every 30 mins or so I take a little break and have a pat or let them sit and relax for a moment (usually while I'm getting the next piece of equipment ready).

I give them a treat at the end when they get down off the table and we have a play and life goes on :happydance:

To answer your other question: yes I have nicked one of my dogs before and it was on the ear, they are probably the hardest bit to do. It wasn't a bad cut and I just wiped it with a tissue and it stopped fairly quickly. You'd have to be cutting like a maniac to do serious damage with clippers...scissoring could be quite dangerous though, although my nic was when I was using clippers :happydance2:

The ears are about the only bit of the dog that can easily be nicked with the clippers

ears, throat, armpits and leg webbing - but you won't have to worry about the latter with a well groomed schnauzer :p

Edited by Vehs