Grooming A Mini Schnauzer

Do you groom your own mini schnauzer?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. If you are just a regular pet owner of a mini schnauzer (ie not a breeder or a vet), do you groom you own mini schnauzer?

• Yes
    • No
    • Tried to but failed
  2. 2. If you have your schnauzer professionally groomed, how much do you spend each time?

• < $30
    • $31-$40
    • $41-$50
    • $51-$60
    • $61-$70
    • $70 plus

Hi,

I was wondering whether its difficult to groom your own mini schnauzer and do many people do it themselves (assuming you are just a regular owner)? Owning a mini schnauzer comes with the ongoing cost of grooming. I'm interested in learning to groom my own mini schnauzer, not professionally grooming as I don't intend to show but just groom enough to make the pet comfortable (ie the clipping every 8 weeks) - shouldn't that be one of the joys in owning a mini schnauzer -> doing your own grooming???

Is there a course on this out there?

Thanks

Pag yes .A good breeder will show you how & what equipment to buy,the cheapest place to get it & how to use it .

Our pets are groomed just like our showdogs as are our clients unless they want things a tad different.

Edited by settrlvr

Sorry should have explained it a bit more, I haven't got the schnauzer yet. I'm just want to be well informed to get a feel of how difficult or easy it is for a novice to do this themselves. This in turn will be one of the factors of whether I should get a mini or not.

It isnt easy & the equipment isnt cheap to buy.

When some one can show it it does make it easier to grasp.Grooming is also all about a whole new level of training,

To buy clippers,scissors(various sizes for feet,skirt,eye brows,ear pluckers,nail clippers & the blades required budget for anywher between $400-$500.Cheaper could be found but much will vary on the american dollar.These are needed whether pet or show.

The equipment will pay for itself long term providing you do all aspects of the grooming.

plucking ears,nails.

It takes 1.5 to 2 hrs to groom a mini from start to finish.The longer you leave it bewteen grooms the harder it is.

We suggest to our buyers to get it done professionally for the first 12 months so it is trained correctly & then you have line to follow.

It is time consuming ,dirty & must do but this applies to any breed with coat.

I used to have my MS handstripped by the groomer but it was way too time consuming and my dog is just a pet, nothing close to being a show dog :laugh: So I took up a 3-mth pet grooming course and purchased all the necessary equipment to groom my own MS. I enjoy doing that a lot and it has been this way since. My scissorwork leaves a lot to be desired but I figured my dog does not bother. :laugh: My vet once went "Oh dear you have lop-sided beard" :):love:

I dont think keeping a Schnauzer clipped yourself is hard.

Used to do mobile grooming, but if you are shown how to use the clippers, its NOT hard at all.

Rysup many can clip but grooming a schnauzer to look like one is harder than many give credit,

As a breeder of them we see the horrible jobs done by many groomers with experience who simply have no clue what there doing but could use clippers.

The ones we groom all want there minis to look like a mini not a badly groomed scottie,lakeland or any other weird creation or even worse the ones who give them owls eyes or trim the beard.. :laugh: The beard takes years to grow back but many groomers dont seem to know this or seem to own a "grooming book" for All Breeds.

Most in the schnauzer forun who are doing it themselves certainly have anew appreciation to "how hard it is" & many have posted photos where we do Mr squiggle & assist with lines to follow or where they have gone wrong .

Most are doing it themselves more due to the crappy jobs done by there groomers & that they pay for that crappy job.

Giraffe i can gurarantee that even if you only want a pet groom you will still want it to look like a mini because thast what attarcts people to the breed ,the looks & there nature but there high maintenance

I know a few people who have had a go themselves and found out that grooming their dog is just to much for them to manage- afterall, we don't all have the same skills or talents.

It is also a lot harder to groom a black mini as you have no changes in colour to act as guidlines (eg for trimming the eye brows)

Some people can do a great job of their dogs, some just don't care what the dog looks like and are happy to be saving the £££ like one i saw in thevets the other day with poodle feet, bushy elbows and lop sided face (apparently one I used to groom but the owner decided to take over the job!)

If you are close enough, get the breeder to give you a lesson, that way you can see if it is something you would be happy to do yourself before spending out on all the equipment.

I have two mini's and am not a groomer but I am a hairdresser. I bought all the equipment and take pride in grooming my girls. It does take me 3 hrs to do both so be prepared and make sure you have the time.I enjoy it and the girls know they get a treat afterwards so they are well behaved.My breeder clipped them first to give me a guide and then I just followed.Gets easier each time you do it. :)

I dont think keeping a Schnauzer clipped yourself is hard.

Used to do mobile grooming, but if you are shown how to use the clippers, its NOT hard at all.

Rysup many can clip but grooming a schnauzer to look like one is harder than many give credit,

I agree. I've been grooming for a while now (about 9 yrs from memory) and I still find Schnauzers really difficult to do. I don't like doing them as I'm never satisified. It doesn't help that the person I trained under learned grooming overseas and was specifically trained in Schnauzers. People travelled from afar with theirs and they looked amazing.

To do them beautifully takes a lot of skill.

I think because the true art of grooming is being lost a lot of the newer owners of styled breeds don't have anything to compare to and think they are paying for a good result. They would be amazed at how wonderful and stylised their dogs could look if they sourced an 'old style' groomer.

I even did a workshop on styling Schnauzers about 4 yrs in to my grooming and I felt the trainer did a very average job.

A family member does their own dog though and it's perfectly fine. She looks clean and they save themselves bucket loads of money. She always looks a little hacked at and there is no real style to it but the owners don't mind (the dog doesn't either!).

The OP never said they wanted to groom so that the dog looked like a show dog. I think that they can keep their pet comfortable quite easily on their own. And with time they would develop the ability to style the dog so it did look like a show dog.

I always loved doing the schnauzers, I used to do a Giant, two Standards and a lot of minis. The owners loved how I did them, especially the lady with the two Standards who had been hacked to bits by the previous groomer she had used. I even do my retired Lhasa's in a Schnauzer trim.

I am in no way suggesting they learn how to hand strip and be able to present a show Schnauzer, but the OP asked if it was possible to keep her dogs comfortable on her own. And it is.

Edited by Rysup

I am in no way suggesting they learn how to hand strip and be able to present a show Schnauzer, but the OP asked if it was possible to keep her dogs comfortable on her own. And it is.

I now thats what you said & i never mentioned hand stripping :laugh:

The fact is strip or clip the result is the same.You dont groom them different because there not being shown.Very few people hand strip & we dont recommend it to pet owners but the end results is the same thing look

I now there has been a weird trend with groomers to ask which clip as apparently there are 3 kinds :thumbsup:

Think back without any experience if someone plonked a schnauzer on the table how easy it would be with no help.

It is easy to learn but without any starting point it can be a horrible experience for both parties .

I now of very few owners who just want a okay job.They always want there to look smart & just what they bought.

We have taught a number of ours to groom there minis but we emphasise it isnt easy because it isnt & some want to scrimp on the clippers & again that doesnt work.

Most that do it themselves come back here twice a year to ensure there still got the right line to follow.

As Becks said blacks are hearder especially if you have poor lighting

I guesss it would be the same as your Keeshond if everyone just wanted it to look okay & just hacked the coat off or clip off.

thanks all for your input.

I think I will be taking it to a groomer for the first 12 months until I am comfortable that I won't hurt the little thing.

I don't mind on investing in the clippers but eventually I want to learn how to do it as I think this is one of the fun bits of owning a mini schnauzer.

Reading some other posts, alot of people have recommended the WAHL KM2 Two Speed. For the mini schnauzer, are they considered to have a heavy coat so need the additional speed setting? How long do they last and how frequently do I have to purchase new blades? In between the clipping, what is the equipment called that I need to brush it with - is it a Fuminator or just a grooming brush?

thanks all for your input.

I think I will be taking it to a groomer for the first 12 months until I am comfortable that I won't hurt the little thing.

I don't mind on investing in the clippers but eventually I want to learn how to do it as I think this is one of the fun bits of owning a mini schnauzer.

Reading some other posts, alot of people have recommended the WAHL KM2 Two Speed. For the mini schnauzer, are they considered to have a heavy coat so need the additional speed setting? How long do they last and how frequently do I have to purchase new blades? In between the clipping, what is the equipment called that I need to brush it with - is it a Fuminator or just a grooming brush?

If you select the right breeder they will show what you need.When looking at a breeder talk about wanting to groom & whether they can assist or suggest some one who can help.Whether they will help in making a list of whats needed.If they dont groom there own they will be help to you.

Your best beat would be to contact the mini schnauzer club of NSW as they hold fundays & i dare say grooming demos

You dont need the 2 speed nor a furminater.

You need a combo comb,slicker brush.

Clippers should come with a #10 but you will need a #40 & either a #8.5 or #7 .If a really heavy coat a #15 aswell.

Blades can be sharpened for many years but if you drop them you can say "good bye" more often than not.

Same applies with scissors,Buy a good brand & they will last for years ,again can be sharpened but if dropped also say good bye.

To be honest not many owners groom themselves & it really isnt a part of owning the breed .You have to do the weekly brushing & most find it way easier to drop off ,leave for 2 years & take home all bathed & done for the next 8 weeks especially if there not trained & a monster.

One wrong move & you can inflict some damage

Giraffezz,

Our pet care day is on May 17 from 10am -2pm, at Bressington Park, Homebush. There will be grooming demonstrations, talks, Rescue dogs and also dogs being clipped by the professional groomers in our club. Come along and join in the day and see hundred of gorgeous schnauzers. You can watch how the are clipped and ask as many questions as you like. :thumbsup:

Giraffezz,

Our pet care day is on May 17 from 10am -2pm, at Bressington Park, Homebush. There will be grooming demonstrations, talks, Rescue dogs and also dogs being clipped by the professional groomers in our club. Come along and join in the day and see hundred of gorgeous schnauzers. You can watch how the are clipped and ask as many questions as you like. :rofl:

Thanks Schnauzer! Do I need to register? And is this schnauzer specific, would there be other breeds there?

Giraffezz,

Our pet care day is on May 17 from 10am -2pm, at Bressington Park, Homebush. There will be grooming demonstrations, talks, Rescue dogs and also dogs being clipped by the professional groomers in our club. Come along and join in the day and see hundred of gorgeous schnauzers. You can watch how the are clipped and ask as many questions as you like. :rofl:

Thanks Schnauzer! Do I need to register? And is this schnauzer specific, would there be other breeds there?

Just come along on the day - everyone is welcome. It is run by the breed club and schnauzer specific. See you there. :p

Giraffezz,

Just come along on the day - everyone is welcome. It is run by the breed club and schnauzer specific. See you there. :p

Its in my diary! THanks.