Puppy Growling/biting When Asleep

poodle proud

We dont grab her when she is asleep or anything.

I think the older dog spread out slightly when he was lieing near her but he didnt even come close to squashing her. But I think she was asleep when he did this.

Shes more drowsy when she does this. If you move near her she just starts growling and if you keep moving thast when she snaps. But no she is definitely not fast asleep.

As my OH told me today she just started growling at him because he wouldnt make more room for her. So definitely wide awake when she snapped this time.

charleswentworth, what exactly do you mean when you say back to training? She is doing basic obedience but stopping her biting is not something we have been good at. I usually redirect her to a toy or walk away. We tried yelling ouch but it seemed to egg her on.

At a loss currentlty :p

If I am doing something wrong Id like to change it.

I haven't read all the posts yet but regarding the bolded bit, I would suggest getting her to understand and obey voice commands, and in a situation like that mine would get a very harsh "off!!" and if they didn't immediately obey they'd get some vigorous encouragement/assistance from me.

I agree Kirislin, with some dogs (not all) a very firm hand is needed. I tend to think some people are just too soft with their dogs, guess Im from the old school, a smack on the bottom and a very stern NO doesnt hurt the dog, but certainly makes them think twice about repeating whatever they did. Ive seen silkys literally take over the household because people just let them get away with bad behaviour while they are little. Not one of my dogs would even think of snapping at me or growling because they were taught when little that it was not an excepting thing to do. Should I put on my flame suit now??

if a dog has the constitution then anything can be viewed as a confrontation. Dunwarren it is true, too many people these days wrap dogs in cotton wool and then wonder how anything so cute can become so nasty! A dog is a dog is a dog despite the fact they may be 1kg or 100kg.

Sounds like this dog needs to be taken back to basics and shown its not top dog. I would go get a vet check to make sure there is definately no medical reason adn then call in a good trainer to help you ASAP.

Thanks again to all.

I too feel she is not a 'monster dog' but does need some more direction.

In the past couple of days I have refused her access to the lounge and for those who were wondering no she is not allowed to sleep on the bed.

I have been tougher with her and put her in the bathroom after unacceptable behaviour until she is quiet (Thanks pockets :love: ). I am also teaching her the off command which is also working for when she gets in the other dog's face. There is a change in her already.

She is a lovely dog but is still very much a puppy and much stronger-willed than our other dog. I just needed to know what she would understand in terms of discipline that was effective but not cruel. I dont mind being firm but our first dog was abused and it has affected him. Im not prepared to do anything that makes her fear me.

For whoever asked yes she is going to obedience school and does well provided the grass isnt wet :love: .

Just one other question. Is it reccomended to give the pup time out? She doesnt have unlimited access to the house but she is free to roam around in a few rooms. Should I be confining her for certain periods (aside from naughty time-out) during the day? And if so is this confined to an area near me or out of sight?

Thanks!

Glad she is on the improve in the behaviour department :) well done!!! as you said she is a puppy and she will indeed learn her place and soon learn that she is not a little princess that gets everything her way :rofl:

If she is behaving well with what you are doing, and you are happy to have her roam a few rooms of the house I see no harm in it and wouldnt be giving her time out for periods as yet, I would only isolate her/put her in the bathroom when she has not stopped a certain behaviou after you have given her the warning :). Isolating her away from you and the other dog may confuse her at this stage, but if you are meaning to seperate both dogs then thats a good idea, but dont always seperate her from you, change it up with the other dog too , keep doing what your doing and you will be back on the ight track :champagne: and both you and the dog will be happy :cheers:

Glad she is on the improve in the behaviour department :) well done!!! as you said she is a puppy and she will indeed learn her place and soon learn that she is not a little princess that gets everything her way :champagne:

If she is behaving well with what you are doing, and you are happy to have her roam a few rooms of the house I see no harm in it and wouldnt be giving her time out for periods as yet, I would only isolate her/put her in the bathroom when she has not stopped a certain behaviou after you have given her the warning :cheers:. Isolating her away from you and the other dog may confuse her at this stage, but if you are meaning to seperate both dogs then thats a good idea, but dont always seperate her from you, change it up with the other dog too , keep doing what your doing and you will be back on the ight track :cheer: and both you and the dog will be happy :clap:

Thanks Pockets.

I plan for them to stay together but do separate them at times like when she goes to puppy school or taking them for separate walks etc.

Nothing has really been an issue of late as she was spayed on friday. I contacted the breeder and mentioned how she had been acting and she seemed to feel much of it was hormonal and to get this done asap. So she has been a fair bit quieter in recent days, poor pup.

The breeder also told me her father is quite strong-willed so hormones or not she will need continued firm direction, which is fine.

She did bite me once yesterday but it was my own fault. She was chewing a pigs ear which I thought was a great distraction so I could change the bandage on her wound. Note to self: not smart. served me right :rofl:

It will be interesting to see if her temperament changes once the hormones have settled down.

Thanks again :)