Reccomend Me A Better Grooming Regime?

I mentioned her coat in the intro forum and I've taken better pictures to reflect her coat because those posted weren't taken in natural light and image shack destroyed the quality somewhat.

Her chest:

front.png

I know she's a little over weight and I'm trying to convince mum to change her diet but she's stubborn. Took me two years to get her to realise pet rats don't attract wild ones :cry: Getting her to change a dogs diet that she feed her old dogs is going to be harder.

Those white hairs are rooted in, poor girl =P She has a 'ruff' on her neck/chest where her fur is thicker - here it is after this morning's brush.

Straight down her back:

backf.png

After she's been walking about for three minutes it won't look like it's been brushed at all, her hair will be sticking out in all weird directions and I feel like I could be brushing her all day with no results.

It dawned on me that you guys would be perfect to help me work out if it's just because that's the way she is or I'm not doing something correctly to her fur type. I use a slicker brush on her once every week and a half and use a wire pin brush with balls on it every day to every two days.

Her hair is really thick even if it isn't all that long. I've suspected that she was part lab for ages because she's huge compared to finer looking kelpies (she dwarfed the kelpie puppy in school) and think that might be the reason she sheds so much. I also read on here that clipping lab fur is bad, because it grows back looking badly? Would that affect hair like my dogs hair looks crazy?

No matter what I do I can't seem to get her looking presentable. She's been taken to groomers before and the end result was always that she looked just like she would have if I had of done it myself. Is it possible for dogs to have genetically unruly hair like it can be genetic for people to have frizz though their hair? Seems completely unfair because I have friends with collies that never seem to groom their dog at all but always have such silky fur.

Any groom tips are welcome, and so are possible xbreed suggestions =D Oh and so are tips to handle stubborn mothers who assure me they know more about dogs than I do, because she's had them longer than me.

Edited by Rorschach

No tips on grooming, I'll let the pros handle that one.

But I do know that cockers (especially golds and blacks), once they are clipped often go 'woolly' and loose the silky straight look. Desexing is rumoured to contribute too.

Maybe it's part genetics and part being clipped?

She is desexed and even though she doesn't get clipped often she has been before.

Is the wooliness a permanent change? Thanks for replying so quickly.

A good chance this is her coat now. Desexing and clipping can cause quite a change. What is her diet? Sometimes adding some good oils can help a bit.

yeah it could be a result of the clipping

give her sardines a few times a week and maybe try using a coat king on her (or get your groomer to) to strip out the dry coarse hair and then mabye use a conditioner (coat king a dry coat sans conditioner)

Honestly cant & it seems no one else can make her look any better.

As long as she is brushed, clean & comfortable does it really matter ?

The dog does not care, its only driving you nuts. Its just the way her coat is. I wouldn't be messing about & putting all kinds of stuff in it.

Not like its your own hair :happydance2:

Clipping will ruin the topcoat, once it's been clipped it's never the same. Desexing can also alter the texture of the coat and make it harder to manage. I don't know what breeds make up your dog, but kelpies, labs and GSD's should never be clipped. I would use a Mars Coat Stripper on her and a comb, I doubt that the brush is actually getting through the coat. The Mars will strip out a lot of the dead hair and make her look tidier, but unfortunately I don't think you'll ever get her coat to look really nice.

A good chance this is her coat now. Desexing and clipping can cause quite a change. What is her diet? Sometimes adding some good oils can help a bit.

She is fed a mixter of meats that we get discounted from the deli at our supermarket, cooked and mixed in with vegetables.

give her sardines a few times a week and maybe try using a coat king on her

Will try this and try a comb instead of a brush too.

Not a young dog.. harsh coat...

I'd be off to the vets for a thyroid panel.

Better diet, regular stripping and coming may also help. I'd definitely be adding Omega oils to her food, regardless of what she's fed.

Will most certainly take her in if it could be of concern. Hope not though =/

Will certainly take everyones advise, and thank-you for taking time to help :mad

If her coat is getting longer and woolier as she gets older it can be related to Cushings Disease - have a look online, and if you're concerned about it ask your vet to test her. Cushings can also lead to weight gain...

I think stripping sounds like the go though - look up a tool called the Furminator online and see if you think something like that could help. :)

She is fed a mixter of meats that we get discounted from the deli at our supermarket, cooked and mixed in with vegetables.

Not a good idea to feed meat without bone, it is a very unbalanced diet. Get her onto some raw meaty bones. Chicken necks or minced chicken carcuss (dog or puppy mince), sardines, omega oil and even some Evening Primrose Oil.

We do occasionally give her raw beef/cow bones (I think beef? they look large. Maybe its lamb?)

Just not every day/week and thats why I didn't originally mention it. Is there a guide to how many bones she should be getting?

Edit: bones

Edited by Rorschach

We do occasionally give her raw beef cow (I think beef? they look large)

Just not every day/week and thats why I didn't originally mention it. Is there a guide to how many bones she should be getting?

The BARF diet recommends 70 percent raw meaty bones.