Rice Bran Oil

My vet suggested to add about a teaspoon of vegetable oil to Charlotte's food once or twice a week because she has slightly dry skin. She is 17 weeks old now.

I have some rice bran oil and canola oil. The rice bran looks a bit 'healthier'. Can I give it to her? Has anybody used it before?

Thanks! :)

I would try flaxseed oil, fish oil or one of the Omega blend oils. You can buy any of these from your local chemist or healthfood store for about $10-$15.

You could also try adding a tin of sardines to her meals every now and then too :wave:

Rice Bran Oil is a good choice, it does contain a good balance of essential fatty acids linolenic and linoleic acids which are essential for skin and coat, and has anti oxidant qualitites.

RBO is actually a great choice for cooking and salad dressing etc, it is a good oil. We use it here, humans dogs and horses.

Dogs really shouldn't eating rice on a long term basis so that's why I personaly don't think it's great to give Rice Bran Oil, also considering some dogs have food intolerances to Rice in foods?

Edited by sas

Dogs really shouldn't eating rice on a long term basis so that's why I personaly don't think it's great to give Rice Bran Oil, also considering some dogs have food intolerances to Rice in foods?

When i was overseas in Bali people who had dogs would feed mainly rice diets to their dogs. They were fine.

Also, vegatable oil is fine to feed but omega oils are better.

When i was overseas in Bali people who had dogs would feed mainly rice diets to their dogs. They were fine.

Dogs can survive on a lot of crap. Doesn't mean it's good for them.

I dog could live on Bigs Macs too, doesn't mean they're doing him any favours :love:

I give my dogs Linseed oil 2-3 times a week on their food. I just give them about 1 teaspoon. I buy it in Woolies in the health food section and it costs $4 a bottle and lasts for a long while for 2 dogs. I also feed sardines about 2-3 times a week on their RC kibble. They have lovely shiny coats. I give linseed oil to my horses as well.

Totally agree.

I would rather feed fish and give omega oils and flaxseed oil then the RBO.

Individuals can be intolerant of anything, I have a dog that cannot eat fish, therefore fish oils for her are out.

RBO is a a good oil, it is only a small supplement it is not the basis for a diet, if you do not wish to use it fine, it doesn't make it wrong.