Shiny Coat, What A Dream.

My 2 and half year male boder collie needs better looking coat.

When he was under 1, his coat was fantastic, long hair, shiny, smooth, but later it turns to be quite dry, should be very dry from the root of his coat, easpecially his bottom and tail.

I do not why, when he was young, I gave him linseed oil every day with food, but stopped later, I restart to feed him linseed oil this year, but nothing changed. Still very dry.

His coat at bottom and tail looks like all dead hair, I wants to show him, but I want to wait until his coat goes back to normal.

I run with him, play a lot, keep him fit, give him either egg or sardines or chicken necks or beef mince everyday with dry food, just keep changing his diet every day.

I need help and advice from you guys, please help me, help my boy.

Thank you!

My male sheltie has a very dry coat - no matter what I give him. I think it is the exceedingly dry climate I live in. It's a problem because we do a lot of bushwalking and he gets all manner of burrs and grass seeds tangled in his mane and hocks.

I regularly give him a 'rinse' with seabreeze oil from Plush Puppy. About every 2 weeks I put a small amount of the oil in a bucket of water and use a big car sponge to wet him down with the oil/water mix. His coat is much better after that and he smells nice too. It is easier than giving him a full bath because it is really only the outer coat that gets wet. You could also contact Cheryl from plush puppy directly for some advice specific to your needs.

If it looks like dead coat i would imagine ther is dead coat there.

what sort of brushing do you do?

What do you wash him in?

I would scrape the beef mince

I wash him every 2 weeks with Aloveen Oatmeal Shampoo, use Aeolus Grooming Dryer to fully dry him. After that, I use buttercomb to take off dead hair, then use wig brush, finally using Mason Pearson Hair Brushes to give him a shiny looking.

This is the whole process.

Just one day after, his coat become dark and messy. Not sure what to do.

I recently started my guy on Dermapet EicosaDerm (it's an omega-3 balanced fish oil) - in 2 weeks, I've already noticed a difference.

YMMV.

Thank you for your advice, where do you get that, and how much is it? cheers,

I got mine from the vet and it was around $35 for 2 months supply.

One sec...

Cheaper online:

http://www.vetstop.com.au/shop/OS/shopdisp...at+Conditioners

PS - Does he need to be bathed every 2 weeks?

Edited by Luke W

My male sheltie has a very dry coat - no matter what I give him. I think it is the exceedingly dry climate I live in. It's a problem because we do a lot of bushwalking and he gets all manner of burrs and grass seeds tangled in his mane and hocks.

I regularly give him a 'rinse' with seabreeze oil from Plush Puppy. About every 2 weeks I put a small amount of the oil in a bucket of water and use a big car sponge to wet him down with the oil/water mix. His coat is much better after that and he smells nice too. It is easier than giving him a full bath because it is really only the outer coat that gets wet. You could also contact Cheryl from plush puppy directly for some advice specific to your needs.

Thank you for your advice.

I have heard that Oatmeal Shampoos can be very drying and should be used sparingly. Everyone else has made excellent suggestions. I have shorter coated dogs (never owned a long coat) but I found that Champion Tails Silver Highlights Shampoo or Laser lights (purple) shampoos to be excellent on the quality of coat. The great thing about these shampoos is they make whites whiter and colours deeper. I use it on my whippets, cattle dog and kelpies (blacks and chocs) and had fanstatic results.

Plush Puppy Reviva Coat is excellent too.

Zero's coat was dull and brittle when I got him so i started feeding him oily fish, olive oil, raw eggs and yoghurt - i found the combination did wonders with his coat!

Recently Zero rolled in oil based paint :) and I had to put turps on his coat (only a small amount, but enough so that the tips of his coat were really dry). I ended up giving him a bath and conditioning his coat with tresemme conditioner (it was recommended to me by another DOLer!) and it worked wonders!

Good luck!

I would look at your diet.

I too feed pro plan salmon.

What dry do you use??

As i say i would stop the beef mince,I find on my dogs the coats become horrid if any form of beef is given.

I use mutton.

My borders were always on Science Adult Natural dry food, but just from last month they swithed to Proplan Performance, Proplan Chicken.

I normally give them sardins, and cooked egg, chicken necks, but the beef mince probably only once every two weeks, not very offen.

I have heard that Oatmeal Shampoos can be very drying and should be used sparingly. Everyone else has made excellent suggestions. I have shorter coated dogs (never owned a long coat) but I found that Champion Tails Silver Highlights Shampoo or Laser lights (purple) shampoos to be excellent on the quality of coat. The great thing about these shampoos is they make whites whiter and colours deeper. I use it on my whippets, cattle dog and kelpies (blacks and chocs) and had fanstatic results.

Plush Puppy Reviva Coat is excellent too.

Thank you for your reply, will have a look those shampoos mentiioned by you.

Just when I first time went to PetBarn, asked the staff there, which shampoo is good for border collie, and they recommended Aloveen Oatmeal Shampoo for Sensitive Skin to me, and I have been using this for my borders since then, 2 and half years already.

May be its time to change to other shampoo.

Zero's coat was dull and brittle when I got him so i started feeding him oily fish, olive oil, raw eggs and yoghurt - i found the combination did wonders with his coat!

Recently Zero rolled in oil based paint :cry: and I had to put turps on his coat (only a small amount, but enough so that the tips of his coat were really dry). I ended up giving him a bath and conditioning his coat with tresemme conditioner (it was recommended to me by another DOLer!) and it worked wonders!

Good luck!

2 years ago, someone told me that I should wash the dog with shampoo, then put on human conditioner, then rinse off quickly, blow dry, in this way I would have a fantastic look border collie, straighten hair, shiny.

I suspect may be I should not use conditioner for my Gino.

IMHO frequent washing could be the cause of dry skin and coats in dogs as it strips away all of the natural oils in their skin. I'd always washed my dogs regularly as they were house dogs and at the first sign of dirt or doggy odour it was into the bath and I must say that thier coats never looked very good.

With my current two, that are two and a half years old and live in the house with us ....they've only had three baths in their life. They have NO doggy odour and their coats are healthy and shiny. They are brushed regularly and their diet consists of kibble (Pro Plan Salmon) supplemented with sardines, tuna, eggs, minced chicken frames, lamb bones etc.

Here's my unwashed shiny boy

post-13177-1240965555_thumb.jpg

post-13177-1240965694_thumb.jpg

He is a coated breed that blows coat - how old is he? Dogs will change coat roughly once a year; Bitches twice a year. And if you think his coat is dry then he NEEDS conditioning, and more than a very quick one. A leave in conditioner would be helpful and help protect his coat from sun damage. If you dont condition you will get a fluffy coat rather than the shiny hair you want.

My Kees dont eat anything special - Coprice Family dry and thats all except for the odd raw meaty bone. They are bathed in Wool Wash & #1 All Systems Whitening & Brightening Shampoo, then a Bluo rinse put through. They are not conditioned from either inside or out, and I have nice shiny coats. I think you can feed all you want, and use all the product in the world, some dogs just dont have a shiny coat.

IMHO frequent washing could be the cause of dry skin and coats in dogs as it strips away all of the natural oils in their skin. I'd always washed my dogs regularly as they were house dogs and at the first sign of dirt or doggy odour it was into the bath and I must say that thier coats never looked very good.

With my current two, that are two and a half years old and live in the house with us ....they've only had three baths in their life. They have NO doggy odour and their coats are healthy and shiny. They are brushed regularly and their diet consists of kibble (Pro Plan Salmon) supplemented with sardines, tuna, eggs, minced chicken frames, lamb bones etc.

Here's my unwashed shiny boy

post-13177-1240965555_thumb.jpg

post-13177-1240965694_thumb.jpg

My dogs are house dogs as well, so has to wash them more, normally is every 1 month, just recently I bath him every 2 weeks. otherwise his coat just looks very messy, like a wild dog.

but just from last month they swithed to Proplan Performance, Proplan Chicken.

I feed pro plan but the only one i use is the Salmon.

The other varieties i didnt like the result & found the maintance to be horrid on the coats.

Beef even if only every 2 weeks for some dogs can still be a nightmare.

If i had a dog with a crappy coat then that would be the forts thing i would not feed for atleast 2 months.

Shampoos each to there own also make sure your washing i out properly & as Rysup said you need to condition.I doubt Pet barn would have a clue what to wash a dog in.

What does the breeder of your dogs suggest?