Pet Insurance

Hi,

I've finally decided to get pet insurance from learning things the hard way and I'm tossing up between, PetInsurance Australia and Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance. I'm going for the cover that costs about $15 a month per animal and you can't claim unless the bill is over $500 so I only want it for serious illnesses and emergencies that involve expensive surgeries.

Has anyone had problems with these two companies or had problems with claiming things they thought they should have been able to? Also does anyone recommend another company that has a simlar rate per month?

PIA is fantastic. They paid out on my claim within 24 hours of receiving the paperwork :thumbsup::rofl:

ETA: we also looked into Bow Wow Meow as it was so cheap. However I was unable to get a PDS from them even though I emailed several times requesting one. I dont think you can contact them by phone either so you've got to wonder how you'd go making a claim?? Make sure you read the Product disclosure Statement of any insurance that you are looking into as it explains what they do and don't cover, and some have a LOT of exclusions! Also try and find an insurer who will pay out 100% (less excess) on claims. Some companies have a lower charge but will only pay out 70-80% of the claim less excess. So if you had a claim of say $3000 and an excess of $500 you would still be out of pocket for over $1000. Better off paying an extra $3 or $4 per month for 100% IMO. Hope that helps :love:

Edited by SecretKei

Bow Wow Meow are hopeless when it comes trying to extract an explanation for anything and I also asked for a PDS which never arrived. If it's impossible to get any sense out of them when asking about a policy with them it would be a nightmare if you had a claim.

I wouldn't touch them.

Yes, I am thinking of the PIA major medical insurance, also learning things from the hard way.

I did a search on pet insurance, but can't find the good thread. If anyone can find it, can you pls post the link. Thanks.

Download the Pet Insurance Comparison Chart from here:

Barkers Vet

That chart was published in The Veterinarian and is the best one I have found so far- needs a bit of updating with the newer companies but at least you have dot points to go on when adding new comparisons. :rolleyes:

Mel.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

I have pet insurance with both bow wow meow (BWM) and petcover (have 2 dogs)

I was in the process of transferring the dog insured with petcover to BWM but he got sick in the waiting period. We claimed with petcover and aside from the wrong claims number on their website, once we sorted that out we got the claim paid very quickly. Also didnt need to provide a medical history prior to the claim being paid which most do. I pay 30.85 for him per month but I know it has gone up since I took cover out a few years ago.

I was able to access the PDS easily on BWM and spoke to the girls on the phone a couple of times. Havent claimed yet with them though. What I did notice when deciding to go with them is that they cover genetic and herediatry problems which most others (including petcover) dont.

Edit: Have just checked the petover site who now it seems offer hereditary cover for an extra $5 a month.

Edited by poodle proud

I have Petplan, the budget one I think, covers accident and injury had a 21 day waiting period and a standard $100 excess. There were no sub limits withing hopsitalisation, surgery and medication which a couple had. My cover is up to $9000, but without the extras like paying out the purchase price of you pet if it dies etc. They pay towards advertising and rewards for a lost/stolen pet among other things.

Mine was around $390 for the year

We are with Petplan. We have the top cover which is about $35 a month. The 1st claim we made was for about $500 so its paid for itself already.

All we had to pay was the $100 excess. One great thing was provided the vet agreed they pay the vet direct when your claim is approved so we werent out of pocket.

They were also really helpful over the phone.

www.vethq.com.au/downloads/Pet_Insurance_Table.pdf

This table was interesting with side by side views.

I too have been looking at Pet Insurance but I can only find one that covers for THEFT and Damage.

J

Hi,

I've finally decided to get pet insurance from learning things the hard way and I'm tossing up between, PetInsurance Australia and Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance. I'm going for the cover that costs about $15 a month per animal and you can't claim unless the bill is over $500 so I only want it for serious illnesses and emergencies that involve expensive surgeries.

Has anyone had problems with these two companies or had problems with claiming things they thought they should have been able to? Also does anyone recommend another company that has a simlar rate per month?

Edited by desexemall

I too have been looking at Pet Insurance but I can only find one that covers for THEFT and Damage.

J

RACQ

Just found this out for those that are with RACQ

What we cover

Pet Insurance

When you select the Pet cover option as part of your Contents Insurance policy with RACQ Insurance, you receive the following benefits:

Benefits RACQ Insurance Pet Cover provides for up to $500 in veterinary fees for any one injury or illness suffered by your pet dog or cat. So, for example, if 'Rover' fell ill from tick poisoning or if 'Fluffy' was hit by a car, we will help you by paying $500 towards your veterinary bill, less the excess.

One low excess - the excess for each claim under Pet Cover is only $50.

J

RACQ

Just found this out for those that are with RACQ

What we cover

Pet Insurance

When you select the Pet cover option as part of your Contents Insurance policy with RACQ Insurance, you receive the following benefits:

Benefits RACQ Insurance Pet Cover provides for up to $500 in veterinary fees for any one injury or illness suffered by your pet dog or cat. So, for example, if 'Rover' fell ill from tick poisoning or if 'Fluffy' was hit by a car, we will help you by paying $500 towards your veterinary bill, less the excess.

One low excess - the excess for each claim under Pet Cover is only $50.