Biting Beagle Puppy

artimus'mama

Hi all - am new to this (puppy and forum) all the help possible would be lovely.

We have a beautiful 8 week old beagle pup. She is affectionate and friendly (when she's just woken up or is sleepy) but during play time she has one move - the bite. She only bites my boyfriends fingers or hems, but with me, anything she can get her mouth around and her teeth onto. even if I am redirecting her to her chew toys she finds my fingers or gives up and goes for my forearms. It isn't always aggressive, but sometimes I get a hint of aggression (through over-stimulus?).

Diagnosis anyone? And possible remedy?

Thanks,

artimus'mama

Cool, I like Beagle's but dont think I could put up with the hypo personality

I think as soon as the puppy starts to mouth you, give a stern aaaah and put it into time out ( crate, laundry, garage) for about 5min or so. Should soon learn that that behaviour is not tolerated. Good luck.

I do one of two things - put your hand over the muzzle and press slightly so the top lips roll in over the top teeth or put thumb under tongue and apply gentle pressure until the pup squirms. Conversely if its getting out of hand grab by the scruff and hold it until it settles.

Sin bin can work but you are not teaching the alternative desired behavior. That and pups have little attention span by the time you let it out it has little idea what happened. Get the pup before it gets too excited, and at this age there is no aggression - if there is you have a one in a million dog. Its sheer over excitement and lack of boundries which is why pups bite - they are testing where the boundries are and how far they can get away with things.

I do one of two things - put your hand over the muzzle and press slightly so the top lips roll in over the top teeth or put thumb under tongue and apply gentle pressure until the pup squirms. Conversely if its getting out of hand grab by the scruff and hold it until it settles.

Sin bin can work but you are not teaching the alternative desired behavior. That and pups have little attention span by the time you let it out it has little idea what happened. Get the pup before it gets too excited, and at this age there is no aggression - if there is you have a one in a million dog. Its sheer over excitement and lack of boundries which is why pups bite - they are testing where the boundries are and how far they can get away with things.

Thank you!! I was really worried that at 8 weeks there was already aggression... will give it a go...

Re-direction to a toy didn't work for us, we waited too long and didn't end up giving our dog a proper correction until he was 5.5 months old for the mouthing and he was horrible, lunging, and biting us...hard!

Some puppies are right little brats!

Learn from our mistake and set boundaries for your puppy and be consistent.

Also remember rome wasnt built in a day.Your pup has been home for a short period.It sees you as its new playmates.You need to be patient & consistent.

We have never had issues but find the more you make off it the more fun its becmes,dogs will crave any attention even if there being told off because generally they get down to there level & its "all about them".

In out house its no fuss .It works very well & we have gundogs who have very mouthy.they are allowed to be mouthy on our terms & it works very well

I had the same issue with my puppy initially, but after a week or 2 of me doing a "Ouch" noise, and withdrawing away from him whenever he tried to bite, he soon stopped. He is so well trained now, that if he accidently puts his teeth on me during play (even just touching my arm), he comes sucking up and licking like crazy, to make sure he's not in trouble. :thumbsup:

Good luck - I'm sure your pup will get there too. :rofl:

Edited by Jen21

I have a beagle and had this problem for many months whilst she was teething. Thankfully it's much better now, so hang in there, it will get better!!

She used to bite my wrists/forearms so much that I had red scratches all over them and one of my friends thought I was self harming myself! If I was wearing a jumper she'd bite my sleeves, if I was wearing a dress she'd bite the hem, same with jeans etc.

Things I tried included:

*Turning my back and saying no - this didn't really work, she just bit the back of my pants instead

*Squirting her in the face with water from a spray bottle

*Putting bitter spray all over my hands/arms before going to play with her

*Putting my thumb on the inside of her mouth and holding her tongue down

Goodluck!

I dont have this problem linger with any dog I've had ... I think everyone tried it once or twice and got the above treatment.

I have seen a 12 week old beagle completely terrorise its owner and took two of us to pin down to simply vaccinate. The vet had a bleeding hand as well. Puppies are give an inch take a mile - dont be mean, never smack your dog but dont be afraid to show them who is the boss in no uncertain terms.

• 1 month later...
I have a beagle and had this problem for many months whilst she was teething. Thankfully it's much better now, so hang in there, it will get better!!

She used to bite my wrists/forearms so much that I had red scratches all over them and one of my friends thought I was self harming myself! If I was wearing a jumper she'd bite my sleeves, if I was wearing a dress she'd bite the hem, same with jeans etc.

Things I tried included:

*Turning my back and saying no - this didn't really work, she just bit the back of my pants instead

*Squirting her in the face with water from a spray bottle

*Putting bitter spray all over my hands/arms before going to play with her

*Putting my thumb on the inside of her mouth and holding her tongue down

Goodluck!

haha... Thanks - we tried the spray thing and artimus just opened her mouth.

She is better now - redirection is helping although sometimes she is adamant that its my hands/sleeves/something else that is attached to me that she wants. Then we go back to ignoring. Anything else from there seems to just agitate her more.