At My Wits End

catandgrant

I have to vent. I am really getting close to my wits end!!

Casper seems to be getting progressivly worse as the days go by. If he is not jumping on the couch he is jumping on people so much that they cant stand it. Her is starting to get quite bitey now also, I just had a friend over for the first time and casper just went nuts. He jumped all over her even when she did not acknowledge him and completely ignored him. By the end he started getting bitey with her. Not aggressive but going way beyond the point of it being acceptable.

We have a trainer coming in 2 weeks time to try sort this out. I just dont know how i am going to last till then.

I am close to tears and am almost frightened to go near him at times.

Other times he is adorable and the perfect puppy.

He is now nearly 5 months old. He has done puppy school and we have kept up all that we learnt. I just dont know how to deal with these new ones.

Give me strength!!!

:laugh:

One thing I would do is keep Casper on lead when meeting new people, so that he cannot jump all over them. Does he know sit? If so, I would work on getting him to sit when people come over (on lead) and reward calmly for doing so (praise or food). I would work on him doing this around people before trying to include having people pat him. Have guests ignore him for now.

Does he have a mat or bed? You could also teach him to go to his mat or bed when there are people over.

First thing first, when he jumps on the couch go 'AHT' and push him off.. When he tries to jump again make that noise and push him off again..

it may take 5 goes or 20 but he will understand 'AHT' means no and also not to jump up.

Dont allow bad behaviour/manners.. You allow one bad habit (no matter how cute) and he wont understand he needs manners.

If he jumps on people say 'AHT'. If he wont calm down, then put him in the bathroom with no toys for a few minutes. Then try keep him calm when he comes out.

Takes alot of effort to begin with but it will pay off..

Good luck!!

One thing I would do is keep Casper on lead when meeting new people, so that he cannot jump all over them. Does he know sit? If so, I would work on getting him to sit when people come over (on lead) and reward calmly for doing so (praise or food). I would work on him doing this around people before trying to include having people pat him. Have guests ignore him for now.

Does he have a mat or bed? You could also teach him to go to his mat or bed when there are people over.

I have him on a lead and he still goes psycho. He hasnt been as bad as he was today before. I got him to sit and crouched behind him to try calm him but he just snapped at me. Not a good idea clearly. As soon as i thought he was calm enough i let go and he started jumping straight away.

Yes he knows sit very well. He just seems to ignore absolutely everything when he is overly excited. Its like everything goes out the window.

He has a mat an he also has his crate. Again its the fact that he compltely ignores me. Its like he is in his terrible two's!!

First thing first, when he jumps on the couch go 'AHT' and push him off.. When he tries to jump again make that noise and push him off again..

it may take 5 goes or 20 but he will understand 'AHT' means no and also not to jump up.

Dont allow bad behaviour/manners.. You allow one bad habit (no matter how cute) and he wont understand he needs manners.

If he jumps on people say 'AHT'. If he wont calm down, then put him in the bathroom with no toys for a few minutes. Then try keep him calm when he comes out.

Takes alot of effort to begin with but it will pay off..

Good luck!!

We make those noises when he jumps on the couch. Its like he looks at us and laughs! We have now taken to having a lead on him so that if he jumps up we can get him off easily. If we dont have the lead he doesnt let us near him once he is on....growls etc.

Putting him in the bathroom seems to work but only temporarily. But at least it works for a bit

It feels like we are doing everything we are meant to do yet getting nowhere. Going backwards even. Where is our adorable puppy?!

What do you do that tells him his behaviour is bad??

Check chain?

AHT?

How do you try correct him?

Vocally we use ah ah when he doesnt something bad or is clearly about to.

We ignore him an aweful lot also

No not check chain. Sorry, i dont know what AHT is?

He sounds like he thinks he owns the place!! lol

How old is your dog/puppy??

Does he sleep on the bed as well?

I only meant the bathroom as a temp thing. Put him in, get everyone settled and sitting, then let him out without fanfare.

or before you answer the door, make him sit a few meters back, and do not allow him to come any futher eg, if he gets up when you start to open the door, close it and make him sit again.

You might need a good friend who isnt offended by a door closing in their face for this one!! lol

Hopefully when the trainer comes they will be able to help sort out a good technique

(AHT I mean as a word.. Short and sharp... Not really sure how to spell what I say lol, You ah ah sounds like what I mean but saying it only once)

Edited by bobchic

I have a male who was a terrible handful when he was young, he really pushed the boundaries and I'm an experienced dog owner. I started him on the Triangle of Temptation (pinned at the top of this forum) and implemented the NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) program. TOT is hard to get used to at first, but once you've been doing it for a few days it becomes easy.

Both these programs are brilliant (especially TOT) and within a week I had a totally different dog. I really can't recommend TOT and NILIF highly enough, I don't believe in 'miracle cures', but TOT is close to it. I still do TOT every night before he eats, at the park before I let him off lead to run, before I give him a bone, there are hundreds of situations where TOT can be used. Another advantage is that I have a dog who will sit or stay indefinitely until I give him the release word.

Give it a try, I think you'll be amazed at the difference it will make.

I just dont know how i am going to last till then.

You have your pup under your control :laugh:

Have him on a leash.. and have the leash attached to YOU.

he cannot jump up, run or bounce if he is attached to you, and has to follow you....

there is NO negotiation.

No vocal commands..you turn.. he has to turn.

you stop.. he has to stop.

you sit.. he has a bed near your chair/feet.. and maybe a chewy. he doesn't have much choice, does he?

Don't try to 'calm him' by patting, talking.... this is only seen by him as a reward for being ratty :thumbsup:

If visitors come.. he is NOT to be spoken to or patted by anyone.. unless he is calm, with 4 feet on the ground (or bum on the ground.)

Peoviding at his walk/play times he gts plenty of excercise.. this strict routine won't cramp his style- rather it may show him that manners are required in the company of humans

Keep calm... lots of exercise... routine, and NO negotiations

Re jumping on the couch.

One method is to train an incompatible behaviour.

Does the dog have his own matt or cushion in the lounge?

Train him to sit on his cushion by first luring him to his cushion and the treating him there.

Treat him every time he goes to the cushion - eventually he'll learn that going to his cushion gets him treats.

Barkly runs straight to his cushion every time I walk into the lounge.

Re jumping on the couch.

One method is to train an incompatible behaviour.

Does the dog have his own matt or cushion in the lounge?

Train him to sit on his cushion by first luring him to his cushion and the treating him there.

Treat him every time he goes to the cushion - eventually he'll learn that going to his cushion gets him treats.

Barkly runs straight to his cushion every time I walk into the lounge.

he has a mat and we have a cushion on order which we should get next week.

I will start giving him treats for sitting on the matt tonight

I just so worried he is getting aggressive. Even as i am soitting here he has just jumped up and put is paws on my lap. I have completely ignored him and then he started trying to bite! This is what is driving me crazy!

getting aggressive.

??? sounds like a teenage brat- pushing your buttons.

what does he have to occupy him when you sit down?

Give him something to DO.. Kong.. cardboard box to rip up.. treat ball :thumbsup:

A tired pup is a GOOD pup.

4 -5 mths is the age a pup should be putting bite inhibition into place. If your sitting on the lounge & he jumps in your lap, stand up.

While waiting for the behaviourist have you thought of joining an obedience club? If you make contact make sure you tell them exactly what your problems are.

catandgrant, you have alot of good advice already here. My only addition would be..... please try not to despair ! It will get better even though it seems right now like it won't.

Both OH and I had so many times like this where we wondered why we even THOUGHT about getting our little monster. Try to be as patient as you can; if you're really exasperated (like it sounds you are just when he was nipping at you while typing), pop him outside or in a time out area for a bit, just to retain your own sanity !

The leash worked well for me - it's a pain in the butt to have him attached to you but worth a shot.

Best of luck

My older BC gets very excited when we have guests. I've found what works is to put him outside before I answer the door. He can see through the glass sliding door as I let the visitors in. I let everyone sit down and get comfortable, serve drinks and then, if Flynn is settled outside I let him in to see everyone. When he is allowed to come in and see everyone, he'll normally approach them sedately for a pat on the head and will only jump up on them if invited. If he is rude, he goes back outside.

There's only 2 people that visit that this doesn't work with:

- my dad. When Flynn was a pup I told dad the rule was no pats unless four paws on the ground and I was told it was cruel to make such a rule for a puppy and he was allowed to jump up on dad. So my rule then became, those that don't play by the rules have no right to complain about the 20kg dog, now a grown up puppy, jumping on them.

- my best friend. She brings him treats and also encourages the jumping... and then complains about it. I've asked her to help with the training of manners and she proceeds to razz Flynn up so she gets what she deserves too.

It sounds like you really are getting frustrated with your pup. As has been suggested, it would be a good idea to separate yourself from the problem when you feel the frustration building. Maybe put him in his crate with a good chew toy to give you both a time out to calm down.

I didn't have the biting problem with Tilba, she was nearly 12 weeks old when I got her so she'd learned bite inhibition from her littermates. But she is a jumper & still is. It's so hard to get everyone that we meet on walks & outings to not allow her to jump on them. Most ppl say its ok, they have dogs & are used to it. That's not the point, my mums 92 & frail & I don't want her to jump on her or my 17 m/o granddaughter /

I did have the same problem with my cat when she was a kitten, biting & scratching whenever we walked past her she'd attack our legs & feet. A time out used to give her time to calm down. She did grow out of it.

OK, your dog is looking to you for direction and you are either giving it or you're not.

I have no doubt that you're trying to give direction to him but if it's not in doggy language then he won't understand.

If dogs/pups don't know what they're owner wants them to do then they'll make it up themselves.

Exercise - he sounds REALLY REALLY REALLY energized. Does he seem energetic to you? You must match the amount of exercise you give him with the amount of energy he has. Even a super well trained dog will misbehave if he's not being exercised enough. And that can be physical or mental exercise, so it doesn't matter if you're not home till dark, you can teach tricks, train commands, and play games that tire him out mentally which will tire him out physically in turn.

Boundaries - he needs to know the rules that you want him to obey and this will only happen if you and your family respond to his misbehavior in exactly the same way every time, whether it's ah ah or outside or time out or on the lead, it must be consistent. And please, if he is getting on to the lounge and then nipping you, he is not ready to be allowed on the lounge AT ALL!

Also you mentioned that you've tried putting him on a leash and he still jumps up. So put him in his crate, where he CAN'T jump up.

I'm sure you are capable of turning your dogs negative behaviors around and hope you keep us posted on his progress!

Z