Pig In Mud Dog Door

kendall

I'm getting one for my doggies when I finally get my $900. I'm a bit confused on the sizing because there doesn't seem to be a large on their website but I'm sure I sure a large at Better Pets and Gardens but maybe it was something different :happydance2: . I'll be getting the x-large otherwise.

We were looking at them in Petstock on Sunday and they have large, XL and Super Large.

Superlarge says it fits a great dane..not too sure about that though.

We are thinking about getting one but Super large is $399 and XL is $369 so thats alot of money. We'd have to get Super Large for Teddy in case he wants to use it as the girls would probably only need large, but Teddy won't even go through a half open door most of the time, so I don't know if he'd use it?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not happy with mine. I got the XLarge - even though I have smallish dogs the width is narrow on the medium. At the store they were not that gracious in helping me get my dog through the medium test door.

The XLarge can fit a human male through it - and therefore easily let thieves in. My (middle aged) brothers easily climbed through and they are 6ft+ and have the middle age spread. I wanted to use it when visiting friends/familly so my dogs could come inside. Now no-one will let me use it at their places - and frankly I wouldn't use it at mine either. Also kids can easily step through it.

Unless your dog is scary enough to scare thieves away it is a risk to use one when not at home.

Mine cost $380.

Love it - got it through ebay from the supplier. One of my dogs didn't like pushing against the magnetised flap, so I've removed that and replaced it with flippy bits of plastic until she gets used to it.

One of the hounds leapt through at a flat run and broke a piece off the top of the hole, however it hasn't affected how it works. And I'm not surprised it broke, she was running a million miles an hour :banghead:

kendall, you end up getting one?

I thought about it but then decided that I would hate to give Orson unlimited access!!!! I may change my mind but at the moment it's easier for me to just open the sliding door when they want to go out.

Just thought I'd add that not only did Alfie (little 7 year old Shihtzu X) learn to go in and out after 3 days of taping the flap open and then holding it lower and lower, my two cats (one 8 and one 15) also now take advantage of the access. Gracie (GSDxKelpie) learnt within a couple of days and we have the small one! :rofl: It is funny watching her go through.

Haven't got one yet - still umming and aahing about it! Amber is fine during the day (won't have accidents at all even though she may be inside without access to outside for most of the day) but at night I have to get up numerous times to put her out as she wees inside right near the door if she doesn't go out at least twice in the night :rofl: she NEVER lets us know that she needs to go out :love: (not really more :( ) It's just frustrating. I am a bit against it too because she is a barker and if she had that full access to the outside at night (it would be locked during the day as I can trust her then and like her to be inside when we aren't home) she would bark at everything!!

Also, the cats are locked in at night (until we build our cat run they have indoor/outdoor access during the day) and I waouldn't want them to be able to get out at night. They have their own cat door in the laundry that leads out to the side of the house. The cats don't generally go out to the backyard cos the dogs chase them so they may not use it but I don't want that option there. I don't know :laugh: I don't know how to teach her to wake me up to go out - would make it so much easier :)

I don't know how to teach her to wake me up to go out - would make it so much easier :rofl:

Maybe I should send Oi over for a few days. As you know, Orson and Oi sleep in the bedroom with us. The bedroom door is closed so no chance of them causing mischief when we're asleep.

Oi is generally good because we let her out before we go to bed. But there's been times when she's woken up and pawed us until we woke up and let her out! :) Don't get me wrong! It's great that she does it but being woken up at 3am to be dragged out of my warm bed isn't exactly pleasant no matter how much I love her!

Amber has started sleeping on my bed but we have the door open so the cats can come in and out and we can hear if the girls need us. There haven't been any accidents in the last few nights but then I have been up a few times with the youngest and I let Amber out at the same time. OH doesn't always let her out first thing in the morning cos "she's sleeping" WAKE HER UP then!! He gets up really early and either she is doing after he leaves or he isn't seeing it (hmm prob latter :rofl:)

Still considering anyway. I don't want to have to crate her at night as I like having her on the bed but may have to go back to it if she doesn't improve or I decide against a door.

I think they are a great idea though.

Amber has started sleeping on my bed but we have the door open so the cats can come in and out and we can hear if the girls need us. There haven't been any accidents in the last few nights but then I have been up a few times with the youngest and I let Amber out at the same time. OH doesn't always let her out first thing in the morning cos "she's sleeping" WAKE HER UP then!! He gets up really early and either she is doing after he leaves or he isn't seeing it (hmm prob latter :confused:)

Still considering anyway. I don't want to have to crate her at night as I like having her on the bed but may have to go back to it if she doesn't improve or I decide against a door.

I think they are a great idea though.

Sorry but I think you need to crate her until you can trust her.

Compare them with the patio link ones, the sizes are much more generous.

They definately have a better range of sizes - wish I knew about this one before I brought the pig in mud.

Just a suggestion for anyone wanting to buy a pet patio door in the short term - do it sooner rather than later as pig in mud has been sold to Kramer and the prices are set to rise. And do phone around for prices as they vary a lot!

Sags

I looked into both types to see what I would rather stock, sizes and quality wise I couldn't go past the Patio Link. It was a personal preference really, but I just didn't like the pig in mud ones and we do sell KraMar products, I showed my rep the differences and told her that I was sticking with the Patio Link.

• 3 years later...