Do I Set The Alarm Or Let Her Wake Me Up?

SmoothieGirl

Hi all

Hoping those of you that have crated puppies at night can give me a little advice here. Bronte is crating well at night and only needs to go out to the toilet once each night. Problem is I'm so worried about her that I set my alarm for about 4 hours after her last toilet stop. My alarm goes off and if she's awake I take her out, if not, I reset it again for another hour or so to check then.

Should I keep up with this, or should I wait until she wakes me up? So far she hasn't 'asked' to go outside to the toilet, so I'm not sure what she will do at night in her crate. She has learnt very quickly that whining does get her way, but surely if she wants to go, she will tell me.

congrats on new puppy :rofl:

we got ours on Saturday as well, and we've been crate training her. the first night she whinged when she wanted to go outside.

Last night (her second night) she slept the whole way through... yay!!!

depends on your dog i guess, but the whole point of the crate training is that they have no other option but to let you know....

Let them wake you up :laugh:

When they need to go to the toilet they will learn to tell you other wise just let them wait they will soon learn that if they spoil in their bed you are not going to come running to clean it up for them....

My male was a real pain for this and when i took him to bed would take him to toilet first and as soon as he got into the crate her would poo and wee in there :mad One night i was fed up with him and made him sleep in it... He pretty quickly figured out not to do it again :wave:

Our puppy now will only cry when she wants to go to the toilet or if she has a bone that she wants to bury :rofl:

She did a few wee's in the first few nights of being only in the crate but i did not change her bed till the morning so she had to sleep in it... I know its not nice but it teaches them they can't do it and they really don't like it...

Yep I let mine wake me up too! I am on night 4 and she already is great at the whole crate thing, first night she got me up twice, but the last few nights she has slept right through til 6.30!!! Woot!! When she stirs I get up SO FAST cos I know her bladder is full :laugh:

Yep let your puppy wake you!

They will learn that they need to make some noise and wake you if they need something... it can also help them learn the feeling of needing to pee, rather than you making them pee before they've even got the busting feeling :)