Clipping Dark Nails

Hi all

My dogs have dark nails and I usually take them to the vet (free service) to have their nails clipped because I dont want to cut them off too much.

I used to have a dog with light nails and that was obviously a lot easier.

So how often should I clip them and should I just do a little bit at a time, or is there a way to tell how much can be cut off? I'm thinking of getting a rough emergy board and getting them used to that - give them a mini pedicure instead.

Thanks

I clip Fox's claws every 3 weeks.

I look at the underside of the nail and only clip up to the 'cushion' part where the quick is, clipping the pointy flat part at the tip.

You can sort of see where I mean in the closest claw in this photo...

This site is fairly good too;

Clipping nails

post-6062-1241489507_thumb.jpg

When you have clipped a few dark nails, you can also see from the top of the nail where the "dead" nail begins and the healthy nail ends. The healthy nail will be shinier whereas the dead part is dull and often a bit flakey. If in doubt, just keep clipping a small amount at a time every couple of days or as suggested, get a Dremel and grind them back on a regular basis.

I use the clip and then grind method.

The Bulldogs and Bullmastiffs can be buggers for not wanting their nails clipped. We had one big boy(Bulldog) whom it used to take four people to clip his nails.

Yes you may get a bleeder if you cut too close. Condys crystals are perfect for putting on bleeders. I have have the container handy in case I need it which is not often) and also cotton buds. Wet the cotton bud in your mouth pick up some CC's on the end of the cotton bud, quickly and gently wipe the bleed and then apply the crystals to the site.

It can be very hard to cut nails with an unwilling dog.

Black nails I ususally make sure I check them every week if the dogs are not on concrete. Grinding the nails after cutting is really good as if you do go to close to the quick it will act as a cauteriser(sp). And you can round the nails off well.

I don't understand this nail clipping thing! I've clipped Hugo's nails once (he's 14 months old) and it was only his dew claws.

I was told by a groomer that the nails should be level, or just shorter than the paw pad... that's a good way not to go too far with black nails.

But then again, If that's true... daily walks should be enough, shouldn't it? :hug:

In older dogs it's fine and dew claws because they don't reach the ground... but other than that i don't understand how nails can get long.

Edited by Bindii

I don't understand this nail clipping thing! I've clipped Hugo's nails once (he's 14 months old) and it was only his dew claws.

I was told by a groomer that the nails should be level, or just shorter than the paw pad... that's a good way not to go too far with black nails.

But then again, If that's true... daily walks should be enough, shouldn't it? :hug:

In older dogs it's fine and dew claws because they don't reach the ground... but other than that i don't understand how nails can get long.

I have a bitch here whose nails have very long quicks.

Usually this is brought about by them not being cut very often. In her case she was an outside dog and did wear them down but not as much as she should of.

She also has very thick black nails which is unusual seeing as she is not a big bitch.

Thats where cutting and grinding them as well come in handy. but make sure you get a quieter grinder and a portable one as well.

grinding the nails finishes them off nicely and gets rid of any sharp edges left behind by cutting.

Alot of dogs dont get the road work and arent walking on concrete all day. Also some dogs dont have correct feet shape which means that their nails arent touching the ground properly and do wear differently.

Edited by stonebridge

I use a Dremel- you will see the "quick" on the nail (underneath) and even if you do grind into it, it won't bleed very much at all.

"Doberdawn" shows you exactly how to do it: http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/dob...mel/dremel.html

The smaller, cheaper Dremel probably is best for small dogs only.

Dremel's just the brand name (made in Mexico).

"Ozito" is another brand- does the same thing.