Upset Tummy

I probs should ring the vet about this, but i've rung them that much in the past i'm starting to get the feeling they think i'm crazy.

The vet actually said to me on the last visit. "Your dog is healthy, please just enjoy him!!" (that was tuesday) :thumbsup:

So i thought i'd run is past you guys

Sunday we went to the beach. My staffy boy had a bit of runny poo's in the arvo i put it down to too much saltwater.

Monday he did a nice poo, but it had a bit of fresh red blood in it.

I went to the vet Tuesday morning. Checked him over, he's fine.

Tuesday night did another runny poo.

Back to normal Wednesday.

Wednesday night another runny poos and he dragged his bottom along the grass.

Made me think ... WOrms? :thumbsup:

Did notice last night his tummy was grumbling.

He's happy and active, no other signs of sickness. He was wormed about a month ago (due 8th)

My plan of attack is...

Put him on a diet of boiled chicken and rice. (he's currently getting chicken necks and or lamb/roo/mutton/fish, blended vegies, dry eagle pack in mornings)

Worm him tonight.

But i wasn't sure if i'm able to worm him now, or wait till his poo's are back to normal. Catch 22, if it is worms his poo's won't go back to normal unless i worm him?

And, can i put his usual supp's (joint guard/fish oil etc) in his chicken and rice or wait till better?

Any idea's?

Don't feed rice it's not needed in a dogs diet. Just plain chicken is fine.

Why is he getting joint guard & fish oil? Does he have joint problems? Unless he has problems with his joints I really wouldn't think an 11month old dog would need any supplements. How much are you giving? Some joint supplements can cause dogs to get the runs. And so can fish oil.

Some dogs can find kangaroo to rich so get the runs. Some dogs can't cope with the fat in lamb and others can get the runs with fish.

What did you feed the day before and the day that he had the runs?

Did your vet check his anal glands? Could be the reason he is scooting.

You have not said how is he today.

My approach with upset stomachs is fast for 24 hours (you will not starve him!) and then feed a mix of boiled rice, chicken and pumpkin (I throw it all in the pot together at the same time) for the next day and then back to usual diet if stools are firm.

Rice and chicken is essentially the same as feeding Hills i/d which a vet would give you anyway - pumpkin is good for upset stomachs.

I disagree with puggy about not feeding the rice - yes it is not needed in a normal diet but is best for an invalid dog as chicken alone is too much protein otherwise and the rice is good for lining the stomach and as a binder. Every vet I have ever seen says rice and chicken.

Edited by Danois

I feed rice if my dogs are sick, i know it isnt their normal diet and dont feed it otherwise (unless i have left overs) but i find it blocks them up and stops the runs, if it works, i will use it :)

My cat also got rice and chicken the other day, she liked it heaps!

Every vet I have ever seen says rice and chicken.

Every vet also says feed them dry food. :laugh: (why can't I find that poking stick emoticon?)

:)

We're talking about a dog with an upset stomach - I've never had a vet say to feed dry to a dog with an upset stomach.

(And for the record - my vet does not say feed dry).

OT - I got a tub of that new Beneful 'fresh' food the other day in a show bag - simmered chicken with rice, green beans and wild rice - for dogs but the cat went nuts for it.

OT - I got a tub of that new Beneful 'fresh' food the other day in a show bag - simmered chicken with rice, green beans and wild rice - for dogs but the cat went nuts for it.

My boss got some the other day! she saw it and wanted to see what it was like.. still stinks like tinned food :laugh:

Go the chicken and RICE, sure your dogs didnt cook rice for themsleves when they lived in the wild...........................

I have two Staffy's and always give them chicken and rice when they have an upset tummy, I dont think a whole plate of chicken only is necessarily a good thing which is why I mix in some rice, sure it is a filler, but that's how I use it.

Definitely go back to the vet if it doesn’t improve very soon.

Don’t worry too much about the Vet thinking you’re a bit over zealous, better to be safe than sorry. One of my girl’s made the top 10 customer list last year!

Your dog may have had a sore/irritated anus, or some faecal matter stuck on the hair- scooting is the only thing he knows which may help :)

As said- starve for 24 hrs... then feed small meals of boiled rice(serve as is- just boiled, no salt.. and with some of the water it is boiled in- it's this starchy liquid which helps :laugh: ) & chicken.IF IMPROVING after a couple of days.. GRADUALLY introduce normal ( not too fatty) food.

Thanks Guys.

Yes Puggy he's had joint problems .... well sort of. Vet originally diagnosed Arthritis at 8 months. Went to Murdoch and they said NO arthritis, he's got carpal laxity. When discussing with them we decided to leave him on the diet he was on and keep going with the joint guard and fish oil as it would "do him no harm"?!?

I've stopped it now though and will wait for him to feel better.

He had chicken & rice last night, didn't worm him and didn't put joint guard etc.

Thought id introduce each one slowly once he's feeling better.

I'll definately go back to the vet if things don't improve. I've already swapped vets once, felt like i was talking to a brick wall.

Starting to feel that way again bout this vets. :laugh:

I know they are busy and have more important things to do than answer silly questions from a first time mum.

But i find this website and the search function more informative. Some things i would never have know about which are really important my vets have never told me.

Checked his anus area, looks fine. No redness, dirt, swelling etc.

Thanks again. :)

I probs should ring the vet about this, but i've rung them that much in the past i'm starting to get the feeling they think i'm crazy.

The vet actually said to me on the last visit. "Your dog is healthy, please just enjoy him!!" (that was tuesday) :)

So i thought i'd run is past you guys

Sunday we went to the beach. My staffy boy had a bit of runny poo's in the arvo i put it down to too much saltwater.

Monday he did a nice poo, but it had a bit of fresh red blood in it.

I went to the vet Tuesday morning. Checked him over, he's fine.

Tuesday night did another runny poo.

Back to normal Wednesday.

Wednesday night another runny poos and he dragged his bottom along the grass.

Made me think ... WOrms? :laugh:

Did notice last night his tummy was grumbling.

He's happy and active, no other signs of sickness. He was wormed about a month ago (due 8th)

My plan of attack is...

Put him on a diet of boiled chicken and rice. (he's currently getting chicken necks and or lamb/roo/mutton/fish, blended vegies, dry eagle pack in mornings)

Worm him tonight.

But i wasn't sure if i'm able to worm him now, or wait till his poo's are back to normal. Catch 22, if it is worms his poo's won't go back to normal unless i worm him?

And, can i put his usual supp's (joint guard/fish oil etc) in his chicken and rice or wait till better?

Any idea's?

May I ask why you feel it necessary to worm your dog every month, I only worm mine two or three times a year? How much blended veg is he getting, too much carbohydrate will give your dog the runs and kangaroo is too rich for some dogs and has the same effect. The scooting is probably a response to some form of irritation, he may have passed a piece of undigested bone, this will irritate the anus and may be responsible for the blood. Passing frequent loose motions will also irritate the anal area and make it sore and itchy, he may have popped a small blood vessel due to constant straining hence the blood. You are feeding a lot of different protein sources, I would try feeding just one, say lamb, decrease the amount of vegetables and see how he goes.

Oh he never stopped bouncing! Still running a muck like a usual staffy pup.

Tried to keep him quiet last night, he was asleep on the couch with me, i thought it was safe to hop in the shower.

Enjoying my nice relaxing shower and i could hear banging.

Found him doing zoomies up and down the hallway with a cushion off the couch. He was just makin sure it was deaded!! :laugh:

Yes Puggy he's had joint problems .... well sort of. Vet originally diagnosed Arthritis at 8 months. Went to Murdoch and they said NO arthritis, he's got carpal laxity. When discussing with them we decided to leave him on the diet he was on and keep going with the joint guard and fish oil as it would "do him no harm"?!?

I've stopped it now though and will wait for him to feel better.

Bugger another vet misdiagnosing knuckling over.

How deformed are his feet/legs now?

Has he been diagnosed with have early closure of growth plates at all (which is another ocndition that is sometimes related)?

Knuckling over (carpal laxity) can be treated and corrected fairly quickly when a puppy is young by a balanced diet and making sure it is not fed to much. Sounds like his diet wasn't changed at all which is a pitty because if his problems are just carpal laxity and he doesn't have an early growth plate closures then his legs/feet could have been fixed by now. How much food a day is he fed in terms of weight and how much does he weigh himself?

Slowly reintroduce the joint guard and see if he has a reaction. If ok do the same with the fish oil but both seperatley.

Can you post a photo of what his legs/feet are doing?

Edited by puggy_puggy

I'd stop the chicken necks, fish oil, kangaroo. Will feed small size of rice + chicken stock + a bit of natural yogurt. I always find this to be working with mine. Don't feel bad about bothering the vet, you are doing what you think is best for your dog. It's better be save then sorry. Best wishes :kissbetter:

Puggy,Yeah, i was very dissapointed in our vets about the mis-diagnosis. I was in tears while they were telling me he had arthritis. When i asked what i did wrong they said "oh these things happen". I was (and still are) a stress head, he wasn't allowed to jump up or down, no walking long distances, no ball chasing from day dot. So i couldn't work out what i did wrong.

I've since realised it wasn't the vets fault, they do what they can with the equipment they have. And we are in a small country town so the equipment isn't up to date. They did give me support and good advice on how to manange arthrits.

I've since swapped him this diet to a raw diet after consults with Claire Middle Holistic vet in Perth.

He was on Royal canine previously from the age of about 6months.

Before that Eukanuba from 9 weeks.

The breeder had him on Supercoat.

His legs have never been deformed. THe only sign was a shake when sitting, in his front legs only. He wasn't locking his ankle in.

His walking was fine. Running fine.

Wouldn't show any signs of pain at all. The guys at Murdoch were great, they did new xrays, joint taps. The whole kitten caboodle. ($$$$)

They have given him special exercises to do (involving water - his fave!!) :)

So far i've seen less and less of the shake as times go on.

His was a weighty puppy when he arrived, but not overweight. Tuesday he weighed in at 19kg. He'ss 44cm high to his shoulders.

On the tummy issues, he's getting better. Poo's are looking heaps better now.

THanks for everyones help!

P.S. Logging in from another name cause i'm at home and can't remember my password!