Puppy Biting Question

auir

Hi All

Just another question to see if anyone has any insights into why my puppy does this.

When playing or being pat he will drop then roll on his back and then start to mouth on hands, arms or any body part that is close to him, i have assumed this is him trying to play fight, if we tell him no or uhuh or even just clap he sits back up and stops

anyone got any ideas as to what this actually means for him? and if its something that will develop into a bad behaviour any suggestions on how to correct it?

Cheers

Hi All

Just another question to see if anyone has any insights into why my puppy does this.

When playing or being pat he will drop then roll on his back and then start to mouth on hands, arms or any body part that is close to him, i have assumed this is him trying to play fight, if we tell him no or uhuh or even just clap he sits back up and stops

anyone got any ideas as to what this actually means for him? and if its something that will develop into a bad behaviour any suggestions on how to correct it?

Cheers

How old is your puppy? Almost all puppies do that. I used to have scratch marks all over my arms when my dogs were pups :thumbsup:

However, if it's not corrected at an early age, it can turn into a bad mouthing habit. Every time your puppy tries to bite, make a high pitched 'ouch' sound and move away. Don't make eye contact with the puppy for some time. Soon it would learn that biting puts a stop to the play and is not fun. Also, give the pups lots of chew toys.

he is 16 weeks old this week

for the ouch thing we where doing that and still do if he does bite as he use to bite when running around (especially hands for some reason), his biting has stopped while running around or playing (standing up or in any other seated position besides on his back lol)

my current approach is tell him no and then ignore him, or if that doesnt work get him to sit up and get his mind on something else rather than mouthing and nipping while he rolls around his back

so that would be the best approach for the time being?

Puppies use their teeth the way small children use their hands.. to grab and explore.

You want to discourage your puppy putting his teeth on you at all. Search in this forum for threads on "mouthing" and you'll find a lot of threads on the subject.

If you indulge in contact play with your pup- he will instinctively react by nipping and play-fighting.

Maybe 'play' more fetch games- or hide treats for him to dig up or sniff out :thumbsup:

I would also recommend you type "mouthing" into the search box, and have a look thru to find some useful tips :rolleyes:

I agree with everything else being said. Perfectly normal puppy behavior and you seem to be reacting appropriately.

I would only also say that it sounds to me like your pup is slowly learning bite inhibition as he doesn't bite as much as he used to. If he is stopping his biting when you clap or say uh uh, then it sounds to me like he IS learning and it's just a matter of time while he learns that it's not OK for him to EVER bite. I think you're right on track.

I can't wait till I'm where you are! :wave:

Z