Trainer/behaviourist In Canberra

Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone here can recommend a good trainer/behaviourist in Canberra who has experience in dealing with aggression.

The person contacted me for some help/advice but I am loathe to give advice over the phone.

Thanks heaps in anticipation.

Trust you to say a "funny" Herding_Guy :eek:

PF, the dog in question is a 4 month old BC who is "attacking" and biting at the other 2 dogs in the household. The owner does not know what to do.

Could be play I suppose. ;) Might not be either. :(

Best of the local trainers (no behaviourists here that I'm aware of) would be Sean Ehlers of Dog Tech. He's dealt with his share of DA dogs. If he can't help, I'd be off to see K9Force in Sydney.

I asked if it might be play but the owner is adamant that it is aggression. He trains dogs for herding and said has never seen this behaviour in a young pup before. Apparently during one episide the pup launched itself onto one of the other dogs and caused a few lacerations on its face. Sounds like it could be a little more serious than play but it would be difficult to 'diagnose' anything over the phone.

I though about K9 but wasn't too sure if he was willing to travel which is why I thought I'd check to see if there was anyone closer to him first.

Thanks for that PF, I will pass on the DogTech info, as well as a recommendation to see Steve. ;)

What about yourself PF???

Edited by Kelpie-i

There is Heike Hahner of Canine Communications, she is out towards Braidwood, but is happy to travel into town.

She has had a lot of success with aggressive dogs, particularly BCs & Kelpies. Heike is also a herding enthusiast.

I will PM you contact details.

I asked if it might be play but the owner is adamant that it is aggression. He trains dogs for herding and said has never seen this behaviour in a young pup before. Apparently during one episide the pup launched itself onto one of the other dogs and caused a few lacerations on its face. Sounds like it could be a little more serious than play but it would be difficult to 'diagnose' anything over the phone.

I though about K9 but wasn't too sure if he was willing to travel which is why I thought I'd check to see if there was anyone closer to him first.

Thanks for that PF, I will pass on the DogTech info, as well as a recommendation to see Steve. :rainbowbridge:

What about yourself PF???

I'm only a volunteer at my dog club and I certainly wouldn't volunteer to look at an aggression issue - best left up to the professionals. :)

It doesn't really sound like play though, does it. :)

4 month old BC? I'd second a recommendation for a thorough vet check first up - if it's not just rough play, it sounds pretty unusual - so vet check would be my frist step. A vet who knows something about aggression sounds like a good place to start. Can the person get some of the behaviours on video - or even just video general interactions the pup has.