Cancer

Photography is one of my hobbies so i have a whole lotta of photos of him.

Last year some friends and I all did a "Day In The Life" thing where we each basically just documented our day in photos. Since my life is fairly boring, I did a day in the life of Fred, from Freds point of view. I think its still online, i'll dig it up.

Edit: Found it. This is from August last year.

A Day in the life of Fred

(lots of pics warning)

Edited by Kingbob

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVED the day in his life. Those are great pictures. Id say,tho, he did look a little sad while getting his bath.

Thse rescue/aoped dogscan be sover spcial HOne was dopte whenshe was right at a year old and was heartworm positive and we had to have her treated. That is really rought on a dgo and oin their "parents" She had to spend 6 weeks in a wire crate only out about 5 times a day on short leah to go out and do her business.

You might find that if you have to start chemo you will have to cook the meat (minus the bones of course).

Dogs on chemo have a bit of an issue with immunity when they have chemo and raw meat is fine (the best) for dogs that are well but it really needs to be cooked when they are having chemo to kill off any germs (even good ones) to protect them.

I was even told once that I should not take Ollie walking about 2 days after chemo for a couple of days - never happened, he has always had his walk. To me it is all about the quality of his life - I would never dream of not doing something he wanted to do.

I would get rid of the canned stuff too - it rarely has enough vitamins to do anything and it is loaded with by products and carbs (fillers and grains).

Hi Kingbob,

I'm sorry to hear your news and can only imagine how devasted you must be. Have you checked out the canine cancer list? http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/CanineCancer/

I can't recommend this list highly enough. I received so much support and information when my dog was diagnosed about three and a half years ago. It can be so helpful to talk to people who have been through the same experiences. My dog had surgery with clean margins and hasn't looked back. He is now 13 and a half and is fit and healthy. There are plenty of stories like his. Fred is young and healthy and you have caught the tumour early

Another wonderful list with help about diet is http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/cance...age=Jun2004.php

My best wishes to you and Fred. I'll be thinking of you.

Honey will not touch raw meat of any kind. I cook her chicken thighs and necks along with either gizzxards or beef liver and the sweet pototates, apples, green beans and sometimes squash. That she LOVES. I am thinking of adding spincah or otherleaf green. It is also my understanding that yellow/orange veggies are really good for dogs with MCT.

Mayvbe you should call your vet and find out about getting him on anti-histamines if he isn't already, and I don't remember you mentioning him being on them. Honmey just had her morning dose of 2 benadryl tablets-she i 72 pounds and the dosage is 1 for ech 25 pounds and since she is so close to 75 pounds, she gets 3.

You guy is jst to cute. The more pictures I see of him, the more I want to snatch him right off my screen and keep him for myelf.!

This is me and my Honey taken last iNOv. A young frind of mine and I were going fishing (he adopted us as his parents) and he wanted to get a picture of Honey to show his wife. Had been a while she she ad seen Honey. I know I look a fright--was just geting over my broekne nose and stitches in mymy face and broekn thumb from a fall. And hubby hates my short hair--but it is so easy to care for!

mehon1.jpg

It is high doses of vitamin C that are good for dogs with cancer. When Ollie caught a bug they had him on a drip with VitC and he came back to me acting like a puppy again. he also takes 1000mg a day - just used the chewable human ones you get from the chemist.

I have successfully treated a dog with MCT with traditional Chinese medicine. His prognosis was only 6 months at the most as they could not get any clear margins but he lived three happy healthy years until he was just short of his 14th birthday. Much cheaper than chemo and no side affects either.

If they are able to get good clear margins your boy may not need any other follow up treatment. If not, and you are in either Sydney or Melbourne I can recommend someone to treat him with chinese medicine.

I belong to an all breed forum that has a lady that fosters a lot of special needs dogs and she has learned so much about the chinese herbs and accupuncture. She has a blond (buff) cocker with AIHa and he has survived despite all odds for 2 years. He has had the usual tretments including several transfsions, but she also goes with a lot of theChinese herbs. Same with her cancer dogs, renal failure dogs, etc and has great sucess using them.

I really don't know much about them, but have gon with some of the things she has suggested.

I'm in Perth, so pending the results of Freds operation, i'll have to have a look around and see whats available to help him.

Of course i'm hoping its a grade 1 tumor and that he can look forward to a long and happy life anyway :rofl:

Most of which he'll probably spend nappng!

sleep.jpg

I was born in Perth----actaully Mt. Lawly--at St. Annes Hospital. My Mom geew up in Bassendean. I still have some cousins down there that I am in contact with. Never met them as Mom and I joined my American Dad here in the states back in '46.

I'm in Perth, so pending the results of Freds operation, i'll have to have a look around and see whats available to help him.

Of course i'm hoping its a grade 1 tumor and that he can look forward to a long and happy life anyway :rofl:

If you cannot find anyone to help locally, the vet I used is in melbourne and will consult interstate by phone and using hair analysis to prescribe Chinese medicine. My vets consulted with her and treated my boy in NSW. We now have our own Doctor of Chinese Medicine here to consult but the interstate treatment worked fine. Let me know if you need the details but hopefully you won't need them.

Thanks for the offers. I'll keep you all updated on his progress. I'm sure like everyone else here, i'll do anything I can to keep my furry little buddy alive and well.

When I told the vet about seeing it swell/shrink and then re-appear, he asked if it had changed size, which it hadnt. He said thats a good sign that at least it isnt growing. So it's fingers crossed he'll be around for me to take lots more "day in the life" type photos :laugh:

Kingbob, it is not uncommon for MCT to go up and down. In fact it happens all the time. Keep a check on him and if he looks like he has an allergic reaction, this could the histamine, which is what MC Tumours release. His fur will raise in patches, almost like when a human has hives.

Antihistamines are really good for this and if the vet says it is MCT, I would be asking him about a dose to start the little guy on straight away. All the MCT dogs (including my own) that I know use antihistamines daily to keep this in check.

Well, its Freds big day.

Dropped him off at the vets a little while ago. He didnt even notice me leave! The Beagle in him was too busy sniffing at all the smells as the nurse took him out the back, but i'm sure he'll have fretted once he noticed I wasnt there.

I have the day off and the house is so empty without him :(

This is the first time i've been home and he's not been here. So odd to go and do something and not hear him tap tap tapping away as he follows me (floorboards).

Fingers crossed it all goes well.

Well, he's home. And what a very sad and sore boy he is :(

He' on 3 kinds of pain killers and a sedative. Rather grumpy though, getting him out of the car was an ordeal, he almost bit my head off, literally!

Because they had to take the surrounding tissue from around the tumor, the skin wasnt close enough to stitch closed, so they had to take a graft from his belly, so he has a line of stitches a good 20-30cm long! Fingers crossed the pathology on the tumor comes back ok, breaks my heart to see him in this much pain when this morning he was jumping for joy at the mention of walkies.

He's asleep now, took a while to get him to lay down, he didnt want to move from sitting. He's sort of pant/whining, obviously in pain, but i think the painkiller the vet said to give him is kicking in now.

My poor boy :rofl:

It is a bit of a shock when you first see them after such a big op. How many stitches did he end up with. My poor old man had just over 50 stitches at 3 tumour sites for his first MCT removal (sadly we did not get clear margins even with a second op on the biggest tumour site)...

Poor boy, he will bounce back quicker than you can believe... I hope he is feeling a bit happier today and good luck for clear margins - I have everything crossed for you.