Cancer

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. Last night was a bit of an ordeal. He sat down once we got home, but couldnt lay down without putting pressure on the wound, so i had to help him lay down. Didnt even want any treats. Then he was reluctant to move from the loungeroom floor, so i ended up grabbing my sleeping bag and and bedding down next to him.

I dont know if he was in pain, or just upset or what, but he was crying a lot, like every exhale was vocalised. The vet did say he might have trouble during the night as the painkillers from the say wore off, and said it was ok to give him a pill. He quietened down after that for a good few hours.

About 5:40am he started up again, since he was meant to have his next pills at breakfast, i held off for a while. Broke my heart to hear him in pain though :laugh:

But he got up to go outside for a potty break so thats good. then he slept quietly for an hour or so.

Gave him his next painkillers at breakfast and we both slept till about midday.

Now i know what all these parents go on about when they talk about sleepless nights! But he's my baby and he's worth it. I booked the day off work for just this reason.

Hes asleep now, and quit, so just have to wait it out until he starts to feel better. I should get the pathology report on monday, so fingers cossed for a Grade 1 tumor with clear margins!

Hi Kingbob

hope Fred's feeling a bit better today - its hard seeing them in pain but they usually bounce back in no time

good luck for the test results hope you get the best possible result

Loved your 'day in the life of' Fred has a geat life with you :thumbsup:

Thursday night and yesterday was hard. He'd be crying and there'd be nothing i could do. But last night he only cried for a little while, and slept mostly through. And this morning he's starting to actually put weight on his leg, so yeah he's bouncing back.

I think at the moment his complaining is mostly frustration. He's always been a vocal dog, whinging to remind me its walkies or dinner time etc, very talkative in his way. But today whatever whining he does seems to just be at not being able to do what he wants to do because of his leg. But he's getting there.

Thanks for the compliments on the "Day In The Life". Initially it was meant to be me, but Freds more interesting :thumbsup:

Be interesting to ee others do them I think!

Fred is one good looking dog!! where did you get him from?

so here's hoping tomorrow he's a little bit better day after better still and hey maybe

next week you will be doing another 'day in the life of' but it'll be 'look how good I feel today'

cheers

Fred landed on his feet with you :thumbsup:

The support here is fantastic :thumbsup: My dog Jack was diagnosed with a grade III MCT in October 2007 and recovered really well from surgery. I'd read all sorts of horror stories about the prognosis but they managed to get clear margins and we haven't found any more lumps or bumps.

He's on medication for life from Addison's disease (underactive adrenal gland) but other than needing that, he's still like a puppy at 9 years of age.

Best of luck to you and Fred on the MCT roller-coaster ride.

Thursday night and yesterday was hard. He'd be crying and there'd be nothing i could do. But last night he only cried for a little while, and slept mostly through. And this morning he's starting to actually put weight on his leg, so yeah he's bouncing back.

I think at the moment his complaining is mostly frustration. He's always been a vocal dog, whinging to remind me its walkies or dinner time etc, very talkative in his way. But today whatever whining he does seems to just be at not being able to do what he wants to do because of his leg. But he's getting there.

Thanks for the compliments on the "Day In The Life". Initially it was meant to be me, but Freds more interesting :thumbsup:

Be interesting to ee others do them I think!

It will get easier and easier as the days go on - the first few days after such a big op are very hard on the dog as well as the people who love them.

He is a gorgeous boy and we are all sending positive vibes for a good result for him.

Glad to hear that he is starting to get a bit better.

RMC: Fred is actually a rescue dog. Found him on the petrescue website. When i saw him i knew he was my dog, but in the day between seeing him and emailing them, he'd been adopted. But a week later they gave him back.

Seems he'd been adopted by an elderly couple who'd previously had a 15yo silky terrier lapdog. They lived near a shopping centre, and Fred escaped their backyard twice, and was found both times over the road at the local pizza shop! The last straw was when they went to church leaving him in their laundry. There was a sliding door to the rest of the house, and a fresh baked cake cooling on the kitchen counter... you can guess the rest. They got home, he had a full belly and it was back to the refuge the next day!

He was actually found originally wandering the streets, no collar, no chip, quite skinny. The ranger picked him up and had him for 2 weeks, then he went to SAFE. They got him neutered, chipped etc, and was with them for a few weeks before that adoption. Then SAFE for a week, then to me. So he'd had a rough time of it before he got to me, had a bit of seperation anxiety to begin with, but got over it.

And now this. Poor little fella deserves a break. I spoil him rotten and he truly is my furkid, just hoping he gets to live the long happy life he deserves.

15.jpg

RMC: Fred is actually a rescue dog. Found him on the petrescue website. When i saw him i knew he was my dog, but in the day between seeing him and emailing them, he'd been adopted. But a week later they gave him back.

Seems he'd been adopted by an elderly couple who'd previously had a 15yo silky terrier lapdog. They lived near a shopping centre, and Fred escaped their backyard twice, and was found both times over the road at the local pizza shop! The last straw was when they went to church leaving him in their laundry. There was a sliding door to the rest of the house, and a fresh baked cake cooling on the kitchen counter... you can guess the rest. They got home, he had a full belly and it was back to the refuge the next day!

He was actually found originally wandering the streets, no collar, no chip, quite skinny. The ranger picked him up and had him for 2 weeks, then he went to SAFE. They got him neutered, chipped etc, and was with them for a few weeks before that adoption. Then SAFE for a week, then to me. So he'd had a rough time of it before he got to me, had a bit of seperation anxiety to begin with, but got over it.

And now this. Poor little fella deserves a break. I spoil him rotten and he truly is my furkid, just hoping he gets to live the long happy life he deserves.

15.jpg

good story - :laugh: at the pizza

As Mooper already said he has landed on his feet and you'll do the best for him

My foxy is a rescue - has had skin cancer for the last year then pancreatitis to mix it up a bit and keep me on my toes

Hope Freds feeling a bit better

ps - how many photos do you have of Fred :D

good story - :) at the pizza

As Mooper already said he has landed on his feet and you'll do the best for him

My foxy is a rescue - has had skin cancer for the last year then pancreatitis to mix it up a bit and keep me on my toes

Hope Freds feeling a bit better

ps - how many photos do you have of Fred :rofl:

When they told me the story they said they hoped it didnt put me off him! I had to reply that a dog who escapes for pizza and cake is my kinda dog!

And i have LOTS of pics of Fred. Photography is one of my favourite hobbies, and Fred is one of my favourite people, so pics galore! :rofl:

fredrun2.jpg

Great pics and I am sure that Fred will land soundly no his feet, no matter what the outcome of the pathology.

My old boy is a testament to beating MCT and how they can live long and way beyond what is expected. I think I told you he has MCT 2 with no clear margins and multiple tumour sites and it had invaded his lymph system - they gave us 12-18 months and that was well over 3.5 years ago now.

Still have everything crossed for Fred and a good outcome.

WAHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just spoke to the vet and it's great news!

Apparently although the original biopsy did show MAST cells, when they did the histopathology on the removed flesh, they found that the MAST cells present were very granular, and that most of the lump was swelling from displasia (i think he said).

So not only did he get completely clear margins, there were so few MAST cells, and so granular it didn't even count as a grade 1 tumour!!!!!

WAHOO!!!!!

He said in time it probably would have become a tumor but i've caught it so early that it hasnt had time to aggregate.

Basically BEST possible scenario short of being a cyst!!

Talk about a weight off my shoulders! Thanks to everyone for the best wishes, they worked!

T-bone steak for dinner for Fred tomorrow i think :thumbsup:

I just found this thread and just finished reading it ...

So glad for Fred and you that he recieved such a great outcome :thumbsup:

Fred sure is one lucky fella to have you in his life,

I wish you and Fred many happy and healthy years together he deserves it :laugh: