Toilet Training

Jane H-F

I have a cocker spaniel puppy and I wasn't clear enough when I first brought him home as to where I wanted him to go to the toilet!!!

He usually does his biz on newspaper in the laundry- but I've taken that away in the hope he'll go outside!

So I was wondering if there are any tips- besides taking him out and rewarding- to try to get him convinced that weeing and pooing outside is the best thing ever!

Sometimes he's just way too quick!!! we'll be walking down the hall and then he's stopped and doing a wee!!!

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks

You need to start from scratch..

Outside when he wakes, after eating, after play and whenever he looks "sniffy".

Every accident he has inside reinforces more of them... you have to keep him accident free.

How is he housed during the day and where does he sleep at night?

It's never too late, just more tricky as you're undoing learned habits as well as teaching new ones.

Like Poodlefan says - put him out after meals, upon waking. At least every tow hours anyway - no matter what else is going on. And the smallest little wee gets enormous praise - he is the BEST puppy in teh world when he goes in the right place - and you have to make sure he knows it!

If he already knows newpaper as "the" spot, have you tried putting some down outside? Gradually give him a smaller and smaller bit until it's gone and there's just grass.

You also have to restrict your pup/dog to only being in areas you either don't mind if they wee or you can watch so you can immediately take them outside if they look like weeing. You also have to take the dog outside regularly, as the others have said, so that you are thinking for him in regards to toileting.

You can't give the dog free access to everywhere inside the house and expect accidents not to happen.

Tying the dog on a lead to your belt is a good way of being in control so you can watch what they are doing or otherwise restricting them to a playpen, etc.

There is no magic way of getting through to the dog that you want it to toilet outside, just training and reinforcement - avoidance of negative behaviour and rewarding of good behaviour. You have to be consistent.

Never to late to toilet train.

I have done so with several adult dogs.

Take him outside after sleeping, eating, playing etc and tell him to 'go to the toilet' Praise him when he goes.

To start off with it might be a good idea to carry him outside as you say that on your way out he is squatting.

He has a crate to sleep in but he has free access in and out of that all the time- ie there is no door- but he is shut in the laundry with access to outside- via doggy door- during the day and at night-

I'm not sure whether to put the door back on and lock him in there so he can only go when I get up and say go outside- what do people think?

He just seems too lazy to go through the doggy door to go outside!

He has a crate to sleep in but he has free access in and out of that all the time- ie there is no door- but he is shut in the laundry with access to outside- via doggy door- during the day and at night-

I'm not sure whether to put the door back on and lock him in there so he can only go when I get up and say go outside- what do people think?

He just seems too lazy to go through the doggy door to go outside!

I think a lot of younger dogs lack confidence with the dog door - I strongly suggest you scratch the word "lazy" from your vocabulary when puppy training - dogs rarely think that way.

Tie the dog door up. Once he's using the hole confidently and regularly to toilet outside, reintroduce the flap.

If you want him to go only outside, then he needs access unless you are prepared to toilet him each and every time he needs to go. That won't happen unless you can supervise him constantly.

definitely not too late, Hugo was paper trained till 12 month when we moved house, now he's spot on with asking to go outside! Just as poodlefan said, and even yourself said, taken him out often and reward him for doing his business!!

My shepherd puppy used her dog door within the first 10 minutes! I just stood outside and called her from outside on the other side of the flap with treats.. and well she cant resist treats, so came thundering through LOL.

Practice coaxing them through the same way maybe? So they realize the flap isn't a bad thing, and "OH I can DO this, yay!"

Edited by Shellectra