Nail Clipping.

I have only clipped Hugo's nails once and he HATED it. I've needed to clip Fletcher's dew claws a couple of times, pointy puppy nails plus i think they just grow fast, but tonight i did all of them - he couldn't care less, and he does the typical samoyed 'pawing' and lets me hold his paw while i clip every nail.

I thought i'd test Hugo, who was watching closely, they don't need doing, but i was just interested. I tried to hold one of his little paws in the same way, he saw the clippers and pulled away. so i held him on his tummy and he let me put the clipper to his nail, before quickly whipping his paw away and then struggling and pug snorting in an attempt to get out of my arms. I let him.... but i was just really intrigued by their different reactions.

The one time i had clipped Hugo's nails before was a real struggle, but we cut all of them with no problems. But he *really* struggled... even had no interest in a liver treat i was holding!!! SO out of character.

I was just wondering if it's a breed thing... because i know of two pugs that come into my clinic and have to be sedated in order to clip their nails. I'm really hoping it doesn't get to that stage with Hugo! There are no other dogs that i know of that have need this service at our clinic and these two pugs are not from the same family. It got me thinking that maybe pugs have sensitive nails or something? because nothing traumatic has happened when they'd been clipped before, so it's really odd!

OR is it just a coincidence, and some dogs just really hate it more than others?

:scared: loving that I can do anything with Fletcher so far!

My pugs tend to hate it as well...they've never been hurt by it or anything they just hate it. Usually my OH holds them under his arm and paw in one hand and clippers in the other whilst I hold a few treats for distraction - that normally works for us, but it has to be a team effort and it is quite a struggle! I don't want our vet to do it as I don't want them to associate going to the vets with 'something bad is going to happen' so we usually fight it out at home.

Doesn't matter whether it is clippers or a dremmel, Oscar hates it - he has never been hurt during it, just hates having it done, consequently his nails are always a bit too long. It takes two of us to do it, me to grab and clip and the OH to shovel treats into his mouth.

Pugs hate having their nails cut full stop.

With my girl pug, because she is little, I am able to flip her upside down and hold her between my legs to cut her nails but it is still a struggle. But with my boy pug there is no hope. He screams like he is being murdered and thrashes about like no tomorrow. I will occasionally manage to cut one nail when I sneak up on him when he is asleep. He will be getting them all cut when he has a dental in a few weeks.

Occasionally you will come across a pug that doesn't mind having their nails cut but they are as rare as hens teeth.

Why cut them ?. Why not get a small hand held electric Dremmel and use the coarse sand paper cylinders and grind them down. Much easier and safer.

:o:laugh: Pugs hate anything done to their feet.

Pugs hate having their nails cut full stop.

With my girl pug, because she is little, I am able to flip her upside down and hold her between my legs to cut her nails but it is still a struggle. But with my boy pug there is no hope. He screams like he is being murdered and thrashes about like no tomorrow. I will occasionally manage to cut one nail when I sneak up on him when he is asleep. He will be getting them all cut when he has a dental in a few weeks.

Occasionally you will come across a pug that doesn't mind having their nails cut but they are as rare as hens teeth.

Why cut them ?. Why not get a small hand held electric Dremmel and use the coarse sand paper cylinders and grind them down. Much easier and safer.

:o:laugh: Pugs hate anything done to their feet.

I know a pug that has it's nail's ground regularly before shows. She has them done on a regular basis since she was purchased. No trouble what so ever.

Hmm..maybe my BCxKelpie is actually a pug in disguise. When I get the nail clippers out all hell breaks loose...dog struggles, growls and makes "i'm being murdered" noises, treats go flying, there is swearing..all that and I MIGHT manage to clip ONE nail.

Max hates getting his done too. He used to let you do it without too much of a struggle, but turned his head away as if he couldn't bear to watch. :thumbsup:

He has athritis now and his feet are painful to touch so we wait until he is asleep on the couch beside us. I keep the nail clippers within reach, we actually did three one night before he woke up. :)

Corey frickin hates getting his nails clipped. HATES IT!!! :laugh: it takes the vet and her assistant to get even half way there with him. I know his nails are way too long but it's like he turns into a different dog when i go near him with the clippers (or ear drops for that matter). I am vowing with my next dog (if it's a puppy) I will be doing so much positive re inforcement when they are younger in regards to nail clipping, ear drops/cleaning etc...

Chloe is the most placid dog i have ever met... she lays there when i clean her ears, doesnt care about ear drops, lets my clip her fur around her feet so she doesnt slip on the tiles (i think she is ticklish though :thumbsup:) and lets me clip her nails, i got her nail quick once and she didnt bat an eye lid ( i freaked out though)... The worst thing she does is paws me while im clipping them...

I wonder if its a boy thing mostly... the fact that they hate getting their nails 'done' :thumbsup:

I have yet to try the dremel thingie but dont think the outcome will be much different... he doesnt like his paws being touched let alone with anything else...