Help Needed

Hi, as everyone here knows I just adopted a male border collie. He is such a sweet heart and a mummy's boy. However, when it comes to taking him out, he just froze on the spot and refuse to move. Twice this week when I took my babies out for a car ride with me, my girl got into the car on her own, but he just froze on the fence and tried to play dead :thumbsup: Both times I have to end up carrying him into the car which he enjoys once in it. Is there anyway to get him to walk with me to the car willingly? I do not want to be always carrying him into it :)

feed him in the car

Or near the car so he has to go out to the car seeing as he doesn't have issues with being in the car itself.

Or you can try lure him just a short distance with something really tasty and build that up gradually.

Hi, as everyone here knows I just adopted a male border collie. He is such a sweet heart and a mummy's boy.

Of course, without seeing your dog I can't be conclusive about it, but one thing I honed in on from what you wrote is what I've highlighted in the quote from your post, above.

Not sure if it was just a manner of speech or whether it is a reflection of your attitude, but one of the things that might help you is to be firmer - ie calm and assertive. If you stop and carry him to the car each time he'll learn this is how it is done and is highly likely to become one of his methods of getting you to do what he wants. Be a leader :thumbsup:. Set the boundaries. Reduce the fuss you make when he behaves like this (which will reduce the reinforcement he gets from it) and be a bit matter of fact about walking to the car. Praise him for confident behaviour. Avoid reinforcement for the 'freezing' behaviour.

Edited by Erny

Thank you all for the suggestions! Today is the first day I started training both my dogs on walking on the leads in the backyard. Valentino has never have any training before and the reason I was told why he freezes when he sees the car is that when he was with the breeder, he will only go into the car when he is off to the vet or somewhere not so pleasant. I was firm with him at the training and he is responding really fast and well to me. Now I am looking forward to training him into going in the car :thumbsup:

Try popping him in and out of the car without taking him anywhere. Lots of pats when he is in the car.

Borders can be soft. People reckon they are super easy to train but it ain't easy training a dog that has just fallen on the floor and is pretending that it is dead :cool:

Oh I think it's really cute when he did that at first :rofl: Then after a while it's just bad. He tried that on me again today when I trained him on the lead but I am really firm with him and he have no choice but to do what I want him to do. He is learning that by playing dead he is not getting away with anything :cool: