Digging Holes And Chewing Cords.

Jetty

Hi Everyone.

My 16 week old puppy is teething at the moment and I was recently away for a week up in Cairns and left him with my partner. I think he might of gotten a bit bored without me there and chewed the plug and cords off the stereo, bar fridge and the bug zapper outside. Can I please have some suggestions on what to do? eg. toys that would help him not get so bored during the day when I am at work? And things that will help the teething process for him?

Also he has dug numerous holes in the back yard. Why does he do this? And what can I do to stop this from happening??

Thank you.

throw some biscuits around the grass or yard, so he can go look for it.

give him ice to chew, lick from (this will numb his gum)... (i freeze stuff inside the ice for my pup)

i heard kong with treats inside are good (my pup doesn't like it for some reason..)

give him a big bone before your partner goes to work..

can your partner go take the pup for a walk before work?

how often does your partner play with the dog when your partner is home?

Hi Everyone.

My 16 week old puppy is teething at the moment and I was recently away for a week up in Cairns and left him with my partner. I think he might of gotten a bit bored without me there and chewed the plug and cords off the stereo, bar fridge and the bug zapper outside. Can I please have some suggestions on what to do? eg. toys that would help him not get so bored during the day when I am at work? And things that will help the teething process for him?

Also he has dug numerous holes in the back yard. Why does he do this? And what can I do to stop this from happening??

Thank you.

lol my pup is 20wks and teething like crazy, poor little fella

the power cord thing is a concern, not sure what you can do about that tho if he is getting to that many power leads, i have heard people putting chilli sauce on things they dont want the puppy chewing on, hopefully someone has some other suggestions

things like nylabones, ropes, tennis balls, basically something rubbery and chewy. I have seen they have puppy kongs but i never got one for ours. With the rope the people at petbarn suggested placing one of them in a bag of water let it absorb the water then freeze it, this seems to work great when our pups teeth are really sore.

Also give them chicken necks that are either still frozen on only just a little bit defrosted. Takes them alot more chewing to break it down.

In terms of the hole digging, generally bored or they are trying to find something they saw (moth, cricket etc). I was told a few things you can do, put a bit of pepper in the hole, put vinegar in the hole, put there poo in the holes and they wont dig anymore (or fill the hole back in and then put the poo on top)

Good luck

Hi Everyone.

Thank you.

lol my pup is 20wks and teething like crazy, poor little fella

the power cord thing is a concern, not sure what you can do about that tho if he is getting to that many power leads, i have heard people putting chilli sauce on things they dont want the puppy chewing on, hopefully someone has some other suggestions

things like nylabones, ropes, tennis balls, basically something rubbery and chewy. I have seen they have puppy kongs but i never got one for ours. With the rope the people at petbarn suggested placing one of them in a bag of water let it absorb the water then freeze it, this seems to work great when our pups teeth are really sore.

Also give them chicken necks that are either still frozen on only just a little bit defrosted. Takes them alot more chewing to break it down.

In terms of the hole digging, generally bored or they are trying to find something they saw (moth, cricket etc). I was told a few things you can do, put a bit of pepper in the hole, put vinegar in the hole, put there poo in the holes and they wont dig anymore (or fill the hole back in and then put the poo on top)

Good luck

The chilli doesnt stop chewing, most dogs seem to love it!!

The poo in holes did work for my dogs. :laugh:

Thank you all. i will try all of your suggestions and see what works best for him.

throw some biscuits around the grass or yard, so he can go look for it.

give him ice to chew, lick from (this will numb his gum)... (i freeze stuff inside the ice for my pup)

i heard kong with treats inside are good (my pup doesn't like it for some reason..)

give him a big bone before your partner goes to work..

can your partner go take the pup for a walk before work?

how often does your partner play with the dog when your partner is home?

my partner play with the puppy but not as much as i do. thats why when i was away last week, i think he was alot more bored. I am trying to start a routine of me either walking him or doing a bit of obedience practice before work.

Hi Everyone.

Thank you.

Good luck

My pup is 16 weeks as well and I can say pepper definitely doesn't work, Winston licks it up!! Then gives me a foul look when he sneezes from it :p

My yard is covered in pepper at the moment, due to all the little holes everywhere lol.

Perhaps vinegar will work.... I've also heard lemon juice in a spray bottle???

My pup is 16 weeks as well and I can say pepper definitely doesn't work, Winston licks it up!! Then gives me a foul look when he sneezes from it :D

My yard is covered in pepper at the moment, due to all the little holes everywhere lol.

Perhaps vinegar will work.... I've also heard lemon juice in a spray bottle???

i have heard vinegar in the bottle works to so i will try both thanks.

Puppies will chew almost anything they can get their sharp little teeth around (and more often than not they are things we don't want them to chew) :D

I'd suggest when you can't supervise him make sure he's in an area where he cannot chew anything inappropriate, offer stimulating toys like a Kong or a bone to chew on.

Dogs dig :laugh: you could try one of the kids clam shell pools and fill it with sand...

Mr Fluffy ate everything as well!! Lost 4 Mobile Charges in one day!!

He is 5mths and has grown out of it now.. Best thing is to put everything out of reach.

We tried taping some cords to the ground, but this proved to be another little game lol..

A chew/bone can help keep them occupied during the day as well...

Good luck

Definitely keep him away from power cables when you can't watch his every move. Pepper bit all the way through a live cable and got a zap, which scared the living daylights out of her. And the cry she made was very scary for us too. Luckily no injuries, but I would say we were very lucky indeed. Lesson learned.

The only good thing about the experience is that Pepper doesn't touch cables anymore.

Pigs ears will keep him occupied for a while. Or buy one of those toys that you put dried food in, that the puppy has to roll around to get the food out of the small holes - and put his breakfast in there (assuming it's dry food!).