Help Me Choose A New Camera

miniluv

my father in Law has kindly offered to buy me a new DSLR :laugh: but I am overwhelmed with whats out there :rofl: I can spend up around $1000 including lenses and I have come down to Nikon or Canon however choosing which one might suit me is the problem. It will only be for shots of my family, dog shows, nature etc. Please if someone can point me in the right direction that would be fab. Thankyou :)

edited for spelling :laugh:

Edited by miniluv

Thankyou Guys :thumbsup: I have narrowed it down to 3 options I think :) The canon 450d with twin IS lens kit, the Canon 1000d or the Nikon D40 or D60 with twin VR lens kit.

Has anyone used the Canon 1000D?

grace With the Nikon do you feel you would like to have live view or am being a sook and just too used to the old point and shoot style :rofl:

Honestly I have no idea :eek:

Speaking for myself only but i'm yet to actually use live view on my D90, i just haven't been in a situation where i need to use it. It might come in handy when shooting from an awkward angle (e.g. from above, reaching above people's heads in a crowded situation), but even in those situations, once you get the hang of the SLR, you should be able to pre-focus and shoot without looking through the viewfinder. If anything, the live view function may eat up a lot of battery power (i suspect). So, my opinion is that it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

I'm about to get the D60 for my little cousin too. :thumbsup:

I just bought a Canon 450D (as they are on sale now as the new model, the 500 is out, so you can possibly get a really nice deal on them) I have found that liveview is not needed as i thought it would be as the viewfinder is quite a bit larger then the ones on the old point and click ones, so it is easier to use. I have never had a SLR of any type before so it is all new to me and I think it will be a little while before I get any really awesome shots, that said the presets functions are not to bad.

I got the 450D over the D60 as it felt better in my hands, I wanted it for skiing so something easy to hold onto was important so it did not end up in the snow :provoke:

I use live view a lot when I'm doing macro work with a short depth of field where exact focus is very important. Live view allows you to zoom the image in and manually fine tune your focus. It also allows you to place the camera in awkward places, get the framing and the focus exactly right without having to look through the viewfinder.

Before I got the camera I didn't really know whether I'd need it or not but now I have it I would hate to be without it.

Most dog photos I use the viewfinder for.

I've used liveview once ... for an aerial shoot where I had to stick the camera out the window :laugh:

It is a nice tool to have, especially for that fiddly macro stuff sometimes, but I can't say as I even remember how to turn mine on and I shoot macro a lot with few issues so I don't bother to read the manual to figure it out LOL

If it comes down between two options and one has liveview, that might nudge you to one or the other, but it wouldn't make my "must have" list. But everyone's style and needs are different so someone else might have this as a "must" ... gee, that's no help is it!

Live View would use alot of battery power wouldnt it?? If you used it alot I mean.. So you might need an extra battery too.

I bought a 400D Twin lens kit and wish I didnt

The 400d is great, but if I had just bought the body it would have been easier to afford an all round lense rather then be stuck with two that are ok, but wanting to buy something better almost immediatly.

A good wide angle lense can sometimes be a better path to go down (im no professional though)

Cannon and Nikon are like Holden and Ford.. Both the same apart from little things.

I use to sell both camera's (and a million other products) and most people seemed to go for the Cannon for ease of use, or the Nikon for status (dont ask me.. buyers of that one wouldnt actually look and feel it, they just knew they wanted it lol)

Goodluck in your search. I really would recommend investigating your options fully (as in try before you buy), and whatever store you choose to go through, make sure you speak to the sales person who actually has a passion in photography (you will know who they are because they will have a display folder of photos they like to show off, lol).

Just found this on here... Its a good lense

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=168771

Edited by bobchic

Thanks guys, I decided to go for the 450D with the IS twin lens kit, being a first time DSLR user I am sure it will take me long enough to work these ones out :thumbsup: just waiting for it to arrive now :)