Veggiedent Recall In Australia By Vibrac

Thought I should start a topic on this since there is a recall and I don't see a topic started yet. (Sorry, moderators, if I missed something.)

http://ava.informz.net/ava/data/images/doc...call_letter.pdf

"VOLUNTARY PRODUCT RECALL

1st June 2009

Virbac (Australia) Pty Ltd has decided to announce a voluntary recall of all batches of the

following products:

• VeggieDent™ Chews For Dogs under 10kg; and

• VeggieDent™ Chews For Dogs 10-30kg; and

• VeggieDent™ Chews For Dogs over 30kg.

Relevant batch numbers of VeggieDent™ include C14808, C14908, C01409 and C1509.

This is purely a precautionary measure in the interests of animal welfare and the veterinary

profession. The decision has been made after discussion with key opinion leaders including

Dr Linda Fleeman BVSc PhD MACVSc Senior Lecturer in Small Animal Medicine from the

Faculty of Veterinary Science at the University of Sydney.

Virbac has recently received reports of dogs exhibiting signs suggestive of an acquired

proximal renal tubulopathy including polyuria, polydipsia and glucosuria in the absence of

concurrent hyperglycaemia. As part of their diet history these animals have consumed

VeggieDent™ as well as various products. There has been no establishment of a causal link

with the VeggieDent™ product range.

Virbac is actively investigating this issue and encourages the veterinary profession to report

any cases of dogs exhibiting similar changes following consumption of VeggieDent™. For

reporting purposes please contact Dr Gerard Lim BVSc on 1800 242 100.

Virbac (Australia) Pty Ltd is not aware of reports of similar illness occurring in other regions

where VeggieDent™ has already been established including North America, Europe and

Asia. VeggieDent™ products sold in Australia differ from products sold in other countries -

they are irradiated as required by AQIS.

Bruce Bell"

It looks like only irradiated VeggieDent treats are associated with Fanconi syndrome. I'm in the U.S., and the FDA has issued a warning about imported, irradiated chicken treats being linked to Fanconi. (The Virbac dental treats recalled in Australia seem to have no meat in them - so only the irradiation seems to be a common factor in the U.S. and Australian Fanconi cases.)

The Australian government has now banned irradiation of pet foods as part of importation treatment, if I am understanding an article link here correctly:

http://thedailybite.wordpress.com/2009/06/...ndrome-in-dogs/

(There is also a 4 June 2009 AVA Media Release at bottom of page there.)

Edited by CooperDog

The Australian government has now banned irradiation of pet foods as part of importation treatment, if I am understanding an article link here correctly:

I would like to see a blanket ban on all irradiation of pet products and ingredients whether they are imported or produced here.

I think Australia has only banned irradiation of imported cat food, not dog food. Last week I heard a report on this on the radio- authorities (AQIS maybe?) still weren't convinced irradiation of food caused problems for dogs, but did accept it did for cats.

not all foods are irradiated it is just the brands that do not comply with manufacturing standards. RC, Eaglepack, Nutrience etc are not and never have been.

If people fed their dogs fresh bones or home made treats instead of this crap they'd be healthier anyway. This is all junk food for dogs

Whe I first saw these hings in the shops I thought 'what the!'. Wy would you feed your dog that crap when you could throw it real raw vegtables and fruit instead.

I noticed that the pet produce store I went to on Thursday and the hydrotheraphy pool I have have just started taking Poppy to still has these horrible things for sale.

Edited by puggy_puggy

I got one at the vet recently (they had a tub of them on the counter), and just received a call from our vet telling me about the recall & saying that they'll do a urine test for free to check my dog's kidneys!

My dogs only ate one, so I assume kidney failure would be highly unlikely, but i'll get them tested anyway.

How on earth do you collect a urine sample? They're small dogs, so by the time i've bent down, they're finished. Plus they get spooked by the container.

How on earth do you collect a urine sample? They're small dogs, so by the time i've bent down, they're finished. Plus they get spooked by the container.

Can you soak a tissue or something similar in the pee and put it in a bag or container?

Can you soak a tissue or something similar in the pee and put it in a bag or container?

That's an idea! I'll try this out & see how much I get...

I'd assume they vet only needs a few drops for the test?

I don't know if this will work for you but when I had trouble getting a urine sample from one of my dogs I bought myself a cheap frying pan and used that. Felt like an idiot running around the yard with it but I got a sample. Use a funnel to get it into the sample container. And before anyone asks, frying pan and funnel have been put away with the dogs things in case I need to do it again. They are not used in the kitchen. :)

Saucepan is no good - they get spooked by it. Haven't tried soup ladel - I'll give it a go but I suspect they might get spooked by that too.

Anyone watching would think they're abused dogs the way the flinch when they see the apparatus heading their way!! :laugh:

Iam ropeable after reading this. My Lizzy has so many health issues now after being fed Chickern Jerky treats from China. The vet was trying to get me to start her on these treats as they are low in fat and her teeth need cleaning. Thankgod i didn't as he rlittle body has had enough poison! I'm absolutely fuming at this particular moment!

vets have no clue these days and many do NOT recommend bones :( the virbac range of dental products is quite substantial no wonder!

I never feed these products anyway have you read the list of ingredients on them? Even Greenies :banghead: they are unnatural

• 3 weeks later...